Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: I am about 2 seconds from going back to sewing doll clothes

LMB
    Quote Originally Posted by emerald46
    Love the kitty cats..can't wait to see big pix. It will get better...you didn't mention sweat and half a headache. The first couple are not fun. Handquilting is so much more civilized...lol.
    Oh the sweating was from that too ?
    hahahaha thought it was just me... LOL
    Hand quilters may be more civilized... but you never saw me hand sew... trust me is isnt pretty.

Your quilt is beautiful. It was worth it!! And it does get easier. I was ready to quit after my first "sandwiching," and that was one year ago. I have lost count of my quilts, but I think I have made 16, all twin sized but two, which were baby quilts.

Blog Entries
    I love that pattern...I bought it but have not tried it...it looked a bit hard for me to do.

LMB
    Quote Originally Posted by carolaug
    I love that pattern...I bought it but have not tried it...it looked a bit hard for me to do.
    honestly, it looks worse than in is. The first block gave me a fit... after that it was a piece of cake. I drew the pattern on white paper and used it as a guide to putting the pieces together and that helped a lot. I figure if I can do it anyone can... seriously. good luck, and do give it a try... my trouble began when I started the quilting... it was too heavy and I didnt have a clue. Thanks to everyone here who gave me great ideas. sooo helpful... I will have better luck with the next one.
    Dina sent me an ironing board tip that is going to help me sooo much. Thanks Dina.

the quilting on a machine with a large quilt was always a fight for me.

i can't tell you how many quilts i've kicked around the house in total frustration over the quilting process.

i tried everything to make it better - purchased every gadget on the market and nothing really worked for me.

i ended up buying a long arm and a frame and now i'm in heaven.

Stitch in the ditch gives me problems too. that is why I do stippling as I find it so much easier because I just go where I want to.

I have some not so pretty quilt tops I have made long ago, I think I will practice on them. They will still make warm coverings even if they are not perfect, they will be finished!!

Quote Originally Posted by LMB
    I dont know. The quilting part is what I wanted to do. Thats what drew me to this site, and I think I will keep trying for awhile longer to see if I can do it myself. I hate for anything to get the best of me... if someone else can do it, why cant I? If I have to let someone quilt it then I do all the baking and they get to put on the frosting and I just dont like that idea...
    YES U CAN! With patience and practice.

Quote Originally Posted by CindyBee
    LOL! Yes, it's always like that. Quilt over shoulder, in lap, puddling on floor. But, it's like birthing a baby. While you're in labor you swear you'll never do it again, but after the trauma and you admire your lovely baby, you can't wait to get started on another one!
    Lol, this is so true!

It gets easier...I do nothing but "sid" Yesterday I was determine to practice FM and by the time I finished I had a headache...I have no control over my FM nor any kind of design ability...Though I concentrated on spiral circles and they seem to be getting better...But I don't think I will ever get good enough to use them on a quilt.

SID is awful stuff. Especially if you have small areas that you want to SID... SO hard to twist and turn and twist and turn the quilt.

I rarely SID because it is too hard on my body. I do cross hatching and that would be easier on you because you sound like you have all the right ideas. And I practiced my FMQ until I thought I'd crack up but I can do a quilt now. As soon as you feel the quilt start to resist the movement, stop with your needle down and reposition the quilt in your lap. I free motion a section about 16' square and reposition, you'd be amazed at how quickly it goes.

Good Luck and keep smiling! I too make doll clothes for AG Dolls and love it. I spend about a week each month making clothes! That way it gives me a break from bigger projects. It relaxes me.

At least you are trying! I want to try it but I have been putting it off. And everyone says it gets easier, the more you do it.

Why not try smaller practice pieces....doll quilts, place mats, hot pads, table runners. Gradually ease up. Or hand quilt, maybe.

Well, I hand quilted one. It was a queen. It
    took me a year but I love it. I send them
    out now. We have a quilting machine
    And frame but have not has time to
    Learn how to use it.

I hear you. I quilted a couple of twin size quilts on my machine, stitch in the ditch also. they came out ok but it w as a hassel. that's why I would rat her hand quilt. It might take longer but I can turn the quilt any which way and it is much easier for me to do. My daughter gets upset with me. She wants me to use the machine but I still prefer to hand quilt.

its like labor pains once its over and you see what you have you know its worth it, and the bad memory fades, the quilt looks great!

Congratulations on your first quilt and on your determination to finish it! I know you said you have a large workspace, but, I'm not sure exactly what your setup is. It helps if you have a U shaped space set up (with you sitting in the middle of the U) and cover every surface with clear plastic vinyl. This gives you more surface on either side of you to help with the weight of the quilt and the vinyl makes the quilt slide easier with less tugging. You can use your ironing board or a folding table, anything to hold the weight.

Also, if you decide to try FMQ, I would recommend that you turn your sewing machine sideways to quilt which gives you more space for your right hand. Here is a link to the setup I use and I just finished a quilt that was 106" square. There are others on here that also turn their machines sideways.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-52581-1.htm

Also, here is a link to a tutorial for thread basting. I tried this on a quilt top that is ready for quilting now and I LOVE it. I was up off the floor, didn't have pin sticks and the quilt sandwich lays so much flatter.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-91013-1.htm

Most of all, don't give up. The first quilt I did took me FOREVER to hand stitch the binding down. I absolutely hated that part and figured I always would. I have only done a few more since and binding the 106" quilt only took about 7 or 8 hours total. Of course that was because I learned how to do a ladder stitch...also on this board. Here is the link.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-40083-1.htm

Your quilt is beautiful and you are doing great! Just keep on keeping on and learn all you can from this site. Everyone here is great and if you have any questions, you will get quick responses and lots of them.

Happy quilting!!

Quote Originally Posted by CindyBee
    LOL! Yes, it's always like that. Quilt over shoulder, in lap, puddling on floor. But, it's like birthing a baby. While you're in labor you swear you'll never do it again, but after the trauma and you admire your lovely baby, you can't wait to get started on another one!
    Oh my gosh what CindyBee said is so true, Thats exactly how you feel!!

I can't tell for sure, but if that quilt is a pieced top, you have already done the frosting, believe me. It looks fairly intricate and no piece of "cake". The first quilt I ever did was a double/queen and I felt like you and I vowed never to attack another large quilt and mostly I do smaller things, but the year before, I did two large quilts, the flannel was so bulky and heavy I had to tie it, but the batik I machine quilted with minimal stress. It is always something I dread but also look forward to. Go Figure!

Quote Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
    Every time I see someone say, "It's just stitch in the ditch," I think, "There's no "just" about it - stitching in the ditch is HARD!!!!"

I'd rather take a beating than try to stitch in the ditch - I only do it when I absolutely have to. With all that quilt pulling and tugging against you, your stitching wanders around all over in the vicinity of the ditch. Keeping it straight is insanity.

Yes, you'll feel like you're wrestling a grizzly for a while. And dealing with a large quilt on a domestic machine might never become a walk in the park, exactly, but it does get easier. Instead of trying to sew straight lines, use a serpentine or rippling stitch to wander back and forth across the seam - that's what it wants to do anyway, so make it look intentional. ;)

The only time you can't get away with that is when you really need that straight line - to stabilize borders before FMQ, for instance. Then, you just have to bite the bullet and sweat it out.

Good luck - I feel for you!
    i don't sid.. i mad.....meander around the ditch... non of the reciepents had complained either !

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LMB
    I spent the entire day wrestling with a twin bed quilt. I have never been so tired or miserable. Come on quilters... is it always this bad? It's not like I was doing some fancy FMQ... it was simple quilt in the ditch. I read every tut I could find, I have been sewing all my life, I got sewing gloves (which I love) I covered my sewing machine and area with plexiglass (which I love)Yes my sewing area is large, yes I went out and got a walking foot. Yes I used good quality thread, and yes it was cotton, and yes I spray basted it.
    I had quilt in my lap, quilt on the floor, over my shoulder, I felt like I had a big bear in my lap that had a mind of it's own and wanted to go anywhere other than under my machine needle. Tell the truth. Will I ever be comfortable doing quilts, or is it ALWAYS like this? If this is what I have to look forward too... I think I will go back to doll clothes. I hope and pray this is just due to my lack of experience. The only quilts I have made in the past were rag quilts and little pieces are SOOOOO much easyier to sew. I am sending a pic from my phone... I need to put on the sashing, and it is done and boy am I glad! Here I was going to FMQ a few little mice around the cats in the white areas... well forget that... Unless someone can honestly tell me it will get better, this is my first and last real quilt~
    I'm sorry you are so tired. You say you've spent all day wrestling with the quilt. Quilting the whole quilt in a day is fine for small quilts but anything bigger than a crib quilt - take your time. Work on it for short periods at a time. Take lots of breaks. Unless a quilt has to be finished by a certain time, and planning can help avoid this, only work on it while you're enjoying it.
    Do a few smaller quilts to start with and enjoy the experience. Don't give up as quilting can be very rewarding in lots of ways. But remember it is a hobby for most of us even though we get carried away with fabric.

Blog Entries
    Stitch in the ditch with a walking foot tries my patience unless it is along the edge. I use the stitch in ditch foot with the guide on the bottom which makes it easier when sewing a straight line as you can just guide the rudder along the line.
    Usually I like the option of being able to sew in any direction so I use my horseshoe shaped quilting foot and sew a bit slow (it still sews faster than I can with the walking foot) with either the feed teeth up or down -- experiment with both options.
    It's been awhile but I think that's what works for me.
    I also second the idea of using vinyl on the machine bed and tables and turning the machine sideways.

I'm sorry you are having so much trouble. I don't machine quilt my large quilts, I send them out for the very reason you are having trouble. if it's not fun I don't do it. I love making the tops but I don't have the skill of using a regular machine to quilt so I rely on the experts for that. I wish I had room for a longarm.

Blog Entries
    I have an oversized queen on my domestic machine right now --- doing SID. I sew for about 1/2 an hour, get up and do something else, return to the machine and sew for another 1/2 an hour, etc. It works ---- that quilt gets awfully heavy and you NEED those breaks!!! My SID's certainly aren't perfect and you know what? I make "using" quilts so I really don't care! Have ridden many a galloping horse and you sure don't see much when your in that particular mode.

I sympathize with you--I am blessed with a good LAQ who is very reasonable in price and she gets my twin size and larger most of the time. I do wrestle some of the twins, but it is certainly my LEAST favorite part of quilting. Probably putting on bindings comes next--I have 7 quilts here on the bed in my sewing room waiting for bindings. I am going to have to make myself do them before I start something else.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast