Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: I am about 2 seconds from going back to sewing doll clothes

Blog Entries
    I've done all my own quilting from coasters to King size quilts in my sewing machine.You know, when it's washed who's going to know if you stayed on the seam line or not.
    Connie in CO

STITCH IN THE DITCH ! , Oh man i dont even go there. I tryed a few times and i said" oh not again". But working with the quilts will get better as you get more use to handling the bigger material.Our quilt is very pretty. Please dont give up on quiling it is alot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by barnbum
    I now exactly what you are talking about. And that is exactly why I hand all larger than a 45 by 45 projects to a quilter.... ahhhhhh. Yes, it costs more, but for my sanity and to keep the joy of quilting--priceless.
    That is my sentiments exactly!

This is the reason I use my kitchen table opened up to it's largest size. It supports the quilt nicely while I work on it. Don't give up, it will get easier.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    first, SID is NOT The easiest fish to fry..second if you are going to SID and I do it alot, then you really need the clips so you can roll it up and leave on the section you are quilting on!

Really is the best way, next to using a Flynn frame!

Try to get a VERY LARGE FLAT work surface around you machine. Either a big sewing table or something. A flat even surface will make moving quilt top easier since there is no weighting down of the top by the needle. YES it does get easier!!!!!!

I just got a stitch in the ditch foot for my Janome but I haven't tried it yet.

Stitch in the ditch is not easy so try something that is simple, like meandering.Try some things on a piece of fabric and just do a circle and then a line so to speak and then another circle going the other way. Quilting does get in your blood. Hang in here with us. not everyone is perfect........you'll see.

I think doing FM would be easier too, than stitching in the ditch, so you may want to try that next. I also, when I was stitching on my machine, would do my quilts in sections, like the size of a baby quilt, then just sew the sections together, & that was a whole lot easier. Now, I am fortunate, I was able to get a Grace Mini Pinn frame, & a Viking Sapphire 830, with a 9in bed, so now I can do most of my quilting on my frame. But you do this on your home machine, just keep practicing, even on smaller quilts, & it will get easier....

I agree, Stitch in the Ditch is HARD. I use the slow button and only do half an hour at a time or I get tired and achey and careless. It will get better, honest.

Blog Entries
    quitters never win, winners never quit....we all feel that way sometimes.....you did wonderful

it does get better, I promise

From what I can see, your quilt looks wonderful. Perhaps you tackled a challenging project for a first time quilter. But it sure looks good. Join a quilt club, take some classes, and you will begin to understand how to do things without hurting yourself. And if you are doing FMQ, wow!!
    I have done twin quilting and that is about as far as I will go in trying to put something large under the bed of my machine. It does take practice and the more you do, the more your skills build. you may want to do your next project as a table runner or tote bag. Just have fun. Sounds like you love to sew and making doll clothes isn't an easy task. If you can do that, plus make a complicated twin quilt, your well on your way into the quilt world.
    Hugs.

community benefactor p38flygirl's Avatar
    I would rather stipple than stitch in the ditch...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LMB
    I dont know. The quilting part is what I wanted to do. Thats what drew me to this site, and I think I will keep trying for awhile longer to see if I can do it myself. I hate for anything to get the best of me... if someone else can do it, why cant I? If I have to let someone quilt it then I do all the baking and they get to put on the frosting and I just dont like that idea...
    My feelings exactly. I love the results of the LAQers, but it feels like it's not mine if I didn't do it all. Don't give up. The feeling is so rewarding when it's done. I recognize that my quilts won't ever match the perfection of the LAQers, but the pleasure is all mine when I'm done.

You might also look at LeahDay.com. She has a website, a blog and tutorials on youtube that will give you great tips for FMQ. One of the things she does not recommend is the big roll over your shoulder or in your lap. Since you were able to finish your quilt yourself, I would say you are a natural at quilting. Please look at Leah's site for all her great ideas and keep on quilting! Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by LMB
    I dont know. The quilting part is what I wanted to do. Thats what drew me to this site, and I think I will keep trying for awhile longer to see if I can do it myself. I hate for anything to get the best of me... if someone else can do it, why cant I? If I have to let someone quilt it then I do all the baking and they get to put on the frosting and I just dont like that idea...
    I have to say--those were my thoughts exactly when I started out!! So far I have finished one twin sized quilt and have another 3/4 done--but I am quilting them by hand!! I have done numerous baby quilts and quilted those by machine and did stitch in the ditch with very few problems, but size is key!

I am now working on a queen size top--and I truly believe I will have it quilted by someone else!!! It's a lot of fabric to toss around--not sure I can handle that! So my advice is get your kicks out of quilting the smaller pieces like table runners, baby quilts etc....leave the big ones to someone who has a long arm...and take that time to CREATE more tops!!

Blog Entries
    you did a super JOB!! it turned out awesome, I sent mine out to be quilted because I don't have the patience to do it on my Janome machine , I don't mind tablerunners, placemats smaller items but boy not the big one's

from what i can see in the picture it looks like a prety quilt, i would rather watch paint dry than do stitch in the ditch , i do FMQ i think it is easier, also i saw where you said you had the quilt all over the place, do you have a large table to the side of your machine that the biggest part of the quilt can lay on mine is on the left hand side of me and it helps alot to have the bulk of the quilt there instead of bunched up on your lap or under your arm,,, hang in there, i once mentioned a way to quilt in sections , i do that with very large quilts on my sewing machine it is easier, you dont have all that bulk

Blog Entries
    Maybe you used too thick of batting. Try a thinner batting and there is not so much to move around. It does get better but it is tiring for me too! Hang in there :-D

Remember, each time you do it - it get easyer. If you still fill out of sorts - then YOU need to remember how much JOY others get from YOUR work. They don't see the miss sews (new work), they don't see all the hair pulling - They see the TIME, THOUGHT & LOVE you put into this (and any), quilt.
    Keep going girl.
    Franci

LMB
    Quote Originally Posted by suern3
    You might also look at LeahDay.com. She has a website, a blog and tutorials on youtube that will give you great tips for FMQ. One of the things she does not recommend is the big roll over your shoulder or in your lap. Since you were able to finish your quilt yourself, I would say you are a natural at quilting. Please look at Leah's site for all her great ideas and keep on quilting! Good job!
    Thanks. I didnt remember the name, but when I got to the site, I knew I had been there before. She makes it look so easy. I made it look harder than hard. I guess it just takes pratice. Man I want to do this soooo bad. Guess we will see if my "Want to is stronger than my bear quilt. hahahaha. Seriously, I have allready decided the next one I make will be smaller and FMQ. Think I bit off more than a newbe should.

Power Poster
    Quilting can have it's bad moments but they are fewer than the good. For me, quilting will never be something I will master. Have tried so many different things from great quilters but it just didn't work for me. So my quilts go to a quilter and then I like my quilt with almost no frustration.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
    Every time I see someone say, "It's just stitch in the ditch," I think, "There's no "just" about it - stitching in the ditch is HARD!!!!"

I'd rather take a beating than try to stitch in the ditch - I only do it when I absolutely have to. With all that quilt pulling and tugging against you, your stitching wanders around all over in the vicinity of the ditch. Keeping it straight is insanity.

Yes, you'll feel like you're wrestling a grizzly for a while. And dealing with a large quilt on a domestic machine might never become a walk in the park, exactly, but it does get easier. Instead of trying to sew straight lines, use a serpentine or rippling stitch to wander back and forth across the seam - that's what it wants to do anyway, so make it look intentional. ;)

The only time you can't get away with that is when you really need that straight line - to stabilize borders before FMQ, for instance. Then, you just have to bite the bullet and sweat it out.

Good luck - I feel for you!

You do not have to like/love every aspect of quilting. If you have read this board a lot you will find that there are many people who do not like picking fabric or machine quilting, etc.. In fact I know a LAQ who loves quilting with LA but hates actually piecing the quilts. Do the part that you like and if you are able to afford it then send out your quilts to be quilted. That is OK. You are still a quilter! (actually I have made doll cloths, doll etc and find quilting more relaxing)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast