Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I Am An Addict >

I Am An Addict

I Am An Addict

Old 06-28-2012, 05:13 PM

If that is your first quilt and you made it as beautifully as that, then girl, start cutting that fabric!

I love your feather weight table.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by lsb142 View Post
I am in love with the idea of quilting. I love collecting fabrics, notions, tools, etc. I look at my beautiful fabric all nicely folded on comic book boards and find that I don't want to cut them. I have a dedicated craft room with three machines. I have even bought a quilting machine and a frame. I even have an Accuquilt Go. I probably have 50+ quilting magazines. I buy all the quilting classes on Craftsy and watch them all the way through. I find I understand the techniques and "think" I could compete the quilts they show but I have yet to do that. I have only completed one lap quilt and have another top on my design wall. What is wrong with me? I have the desire and all the tools but I can't make myself complete quilts. I believe it is the perfectionist in me. I'm afraid my quilts won't be "perfect". I think I need an intervention.

Linda
I was just thinking about this same thing......but, in my case, it's the dry heat causing me to want to do nothing around here! It got up to 111 deg. yesterday, and in Alabama, that's unusual in June. We haven't had any rain in over 3 weeks, and it's been at least that long since I've had any desire to do any sewing.....the heat just drains any energy I ever thought I might have!
Old 06-29-2012, 03:27 AM

Before I started quilting I purchased a handmade quilt from a group of Amish or Mennonite (not sure which) ladies here in Canada & believe me, their work is PERFECT but they purposely add a small mistake because in their minds, only God is perfect. Maybe you should keep that philosophy in mind. Just a thought.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:27 AM

I read somewhere that the Amish always put a mistake in their quilts to remind them that only God is perfect.
Go for it, girl!!! Make something! Anything!
Old 06-29-2012, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by katsewnsew View Post
I read somewhere that the Amish always put a mistake in their quilts to remind them that only God is perfect.
Go for it, girl!!! Make something! Anything!
Kate's right. Start something, keep going and when finished, you can go buy more fabric!!
Old 06-29-2012, 04:37 AM

WELCOME TO THE CLUB~ They say the first step is to admit you have an issue!

Sometimes we just need to put our big girl panties on and get it DONE. Discipline yourself like a parent if you must!

When you figure out HOW to do it...let us know! I have tons of fabrics, magazines, gadgets and rulers and collections of blocks and a few quilts finished and a number of tops to show for it.

With my longarm quilting machine, I'm aiming to get more of my quilts DONE in addition to quilting for others.

Good Luck!
Old 06-29-2012, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by barny View Post
Don't you know there is nothing "perfect" in this world? Go for it. People used to put a boo-boo in their quilts . I don't know why, but they did.
***This is exactly my mantra***.....there is only one perfect being and it isn't me!! I can pick out every BOOBOO in any of my projects, but what I did years ago compared to what I do now is like night and day...we are meant to learn from our mistakes and I have and my projects show that!!!
Old 06-29-2012, 05:20 AM

I have read all the posts and don't really have anything new to add except some of my things look great...some don't...but I usually have fun doing whatever it is.

Also, I sure would like to have your budget!!!
Old 06-29-2012, 05:26 AM

Your project doesn't have to be a quilt; you could make yourself a little purse, or a cushion for your quilting chair, or a cover for your machine, or a door hanger which says 'please come in'............ you just have to give yourself permission to experiment. Try a doll quilt or look for a charity that appeals to you and make something for them. They will be thrilled. And if you really don't like the end product the first time consider giving it to an animal shelter or your local vet because the dogs and cats won't care what it looks like but they will appreciate the comfort it provides.
Have you seen https://www.facebook.com/AAQI.News - the Altzheimer's quilt site? They are appealing for little art quilts - only about 10"x12" - that they auction off. That might appeal to you.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:27 AM

Start on a Trip Around the World quilt. You can cut it and finish piecing a queen size in a day. You have to change your attitude to "Dance like no one's looking!" and have fun!!