Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am a bit embarassed >

I am a bit embarassed

I am a bit embarassed

Old 06-20-2010, 04:30 AM

PatriceJ

If they say anything different, I'll post it.

Hummm...housework? I'd rather quilt!!! LOL (Though I can't stand a dirty house!!!) :)
Old 06-20-2010, 06:40 AM

Thanks for the info !! Guess our machines are like cars, need to oil them like changing the oil in the car. I better check my manual too !
Old 06-20-2010, 06:49 AM

My Brother is humming along now, he sure needed some oil! :D

Thanks for posting!
Old 06-20-2010, 07:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by fleurdelisquilts.com
My husband is a sewing machine mechanic who worked in the sewing industry for 25 years. Trust me, every machine needs to be cleaned and oiled on a regular basis. A one inch wide, soft, natural bristle paintbrush will do the trick of removing the dust and grime. Start at the top of the bar that holds the needle and work your way down into the area where the bobbin is. Dust every place where the brush will fit--be gentle. Now move the needle bar up and down slowly, oiling any parts that move that you can reach. Run the machine slowly then add a few drops of oil in the bobbin area. You're ready to go as soon as you sew off on a scrap. I like to use a light colored scrap so I can see the oil when I start and make sure all the extra has run out.

You should take it in to have it professionally cleaned and oiled about once every year or so. These guys get really deep into the machine, clean it, oil it, and time it. So, when you get it back, it will run like a dream. Ask your mechanic to show you the best way to clean and oil your particular machine.

One last thing.....listen to your machine. Really! Sew before you clean and oil it, listening to the sounds it makes. Sew again and really listen to how quietly it sews after you clean and oil. The fuzz and dust actually get into the parts and separates them in minute amounts: that's the sound it makes as the parts struggle to turn and work. The oil helps the parts to slide against each other so that they don't get sticky and mucky. Now anytime you hear the sounds, you know you need to clean and oil. BUT it's better not to wait that long...you're machine shouldn't have to cry for help before you give it a bit of attention. I clean and oil my machine EVERY day before leaving the quilt studio. The oil gets to seep into the parts overnight, and I get to begin every day with a machine that sews like a dream.

Yes, Richard does work on my machine, including a good cleaning and oiling yearly. But, I've learned a lot from him and do my part of keeping it clean and oiled, and I NEVER mess with the stuff I don't know. When others do, it aggravates him to no end!
Okay I am going to stop reading here because this is a REALLY valid point! I do not care what the manual says or the dealer for that matter always oil your machine!

Just because its says its "self oiling" doent mean that you do not oil. The self oiling machines have bushings in them that are either UHMW or brass that are impregnated with oil and every time you use the machine and they warm up then the oil weeps out. They wear out really fast when the oil finally weeps all out, and then your buying a new machine. Just take your time and do what she stated and you will be very surprised at how long a machine will last.

And also you need to check out my thread on "Being careful where you send your machine". Because I went to a sewing shop that had an awesome sewing machine display and the staff was great working with the customers on the test drives and they had all of these machines lined up forever it looked like.

But as soon as I walked into the service department I wanted to punch the fool that was running it. For $75 the blow out the machine with compressed air and a few drops of oil and there you go its done. All of this done in less than 5 or 10 minutes. And they put used parts in and charging for new ones. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Ok I am off my soap box now....

Billy
Old 06-20-2010, 07:02 AM

My manual for my Brother NX 600 clearly says no oil. DH thinks all machines needs oil, so he oiled it. My machine occassionly dripped a little oil for about a month afterward, till it got rid of all that oil. It just amazed me how much did drip out. Guess it could have been worse.
True4uca
Old 06-20-2010, 07:09 AM

I have a singer model 774 I never had the manual but my dad dose the cleaning and oiling yearlyish. is there somewere I can get an old manual? when dad is done cleaning it it always dose run better. Happy fathers day to all dads who do so much for us!
Old 06-20-2010, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by fleurdelisquilts.com
My husband is a sewing machine mechanic who worked in the sewing industry for 25 years. Trust me, every machine needs to be cleaned and oiled on a regular basis. A one inch wide, soft, natural bristle paintbrush will do the trick of removing the dust and grime. Start at the top of the bar that holds the needle and work your way down into the area where the bobbin is. Dust every place where the brush will fit--be gentle. Now move the needle bar up and down slowly, oiling any parts that move that you can reach. Run the machine slowly then add a few drops of oil in the bobbin area. You're ready to go as soon as you sew off on a scrap. I like to use a light colored scrap so I can see the oil when I start and make sure all the extra has run out.

You should take it in to have it professionally cleaned and oiled about once every year or so. These guys get really deep into the machine, clean it, oil it, and time it. So, when you get it back, it will run like a dream. Ask your mechanic to show you the best way to clean and oil your particular machine.

One last thing.....listen to your machine. Really! Sew before you clean and oil it, listening to the sounds it makes. Sew again and really listen to how quietly it sews after you clean and oil. The fuzz and dust actually get into the parts and separates them in minute amounts: that's the sound it makes as the parts struggle to turn and work. The oil helps the parts to slide against each other so that they don't get sticky and mucky. Now anytime you hear the sounds, you know you need to clean and oil. BUT it's better not to wait that long...you're machine shouldn't have to cry for help before you give it a bit of attention. I clean and oil my machine EVERY day before leaving the quilt studio. The oil gets to seep into the parts overnight, and I get to begin every day with a machine that sews like a dream.

Yes, Richard does work on my machine, including a good cleaning and oiling yearly. But, I've learned a lot from him and do my part of keeping it clean and oiled, and I NEVER mess with the stuff I don't know. When others do, it aggravates him to no end!
Okay I am going to stop reading here because this is a REALLY valid point! I do not care what the manual says or the dealer for that matter always oil your machine!

Just because its says its "self oiling" doent mean that you do not oil. The self oiling machines have bushings in them that are either UHMW or brass that are impregnated with oil and every time you use the machine and they warm up then the oil weeps out. They wear out really fast when the oil finally weeps all out, and then your buying a new machine. Just take your time and do what she stated and you will be very surprised at how long a machine will last.

And also you need to check out my thread on "Being careful where you send your machine". Because I went to a sewing shop that had an awesome sewing machine display and the staff was great working with the customers on the test drives and they had all of these machines lined up forever it looked like.

But as soon as I walked into the service department I wanted to punch the fool that was running it. For $75 the blow out the machine with compressed air and a few drops of oil and there you go its done. All of this done in less than 5 or 10 minutes. And they put used parts in and charging for new ones. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Billy
THANKS, EDDIE....MJ
Old 06-20-2010, 07:33 AM

This is what I found on the Janome website.

"I have a Janome 6600 and in the manual it says nothing about oiling the machine. Does anyone know if you are suppose to oil this machine or not? I've always oiled my other machines but don't know if I should this one or not. Thanks!"

"QuilterPj, The 6600 is a self oiling machine and we do not need to oil it in the same way we did our old mechanical machines. Having said that... it is ok to place a drop of oil on the wick after many hours of sewing. The wick is located beneath the bobbin holder. If you remove the needle plate and remove the bobbin holder you will see a white plastic ring with a steel ring within it. In the center of that is a small hole with what looks like a tuft of lint. DO NOT REMOVE IT because that is the wick. It should appear oily. If you are not sure then use the tip of the tiny brush supplied with your accessories to poke it LIGHTLY. If you see oil then there is not need to add any more but if it appears dry then a drop of oil is all it needs. I will inspect it each time I clean under the bobbin case but I do not nessescerily add oil it. I also recommend that you talk to your dealer. Not all are comfortable with customers fiddling with their machines. My dealer is all about empowerment so he has shown me a few maintenance tips. Oiling the wick is one thing he said was ok as long as you do not get carried away and add more than a drop or two of oil."
Old 06-20-2010, 07:42 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Thanks Carol - I was about to post that same thing. I have a 6600 too and it's fairly new so I haven't had to oil it yet, but I do check the wick everytime I clean under the bobbin case. A friend of has had the same machine for longer and she told me to use the point of a pin to drop the tiniest amount of oil possible onto the wick when necessary.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51

Billy
YIKES! What a sleezie bunch of mechanics! What did you do to get to go into the service department?