Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am horrified!! >

I am horrified!!

I am horrified!!

Old 08-10-2013, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by Rennie View Post
Probably a dumb question - but since I am just starting to get into doing quilts (very basic beginner) - when you talk about a stash of fabrics - other than fat quarters which I have more than 211 of already - what size do you buy when you purchase. I was thinking a yard - but while working on my first quilt, I see I need bigger pieces in order to get my borders made. I don't want to have to "shop" every time I need border yardage - but obviously fat quarters won't work and I am not sure 1 yard pieces are big enough. Any suggestions? Rene
You can always piece your borders. That can be very pretty depending on the style of quilt top.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:10 AM

I have at least that much, probably more. Mine has grown to 2 rooms, 5 cabinets, 6 drawers, a book shelf, and who knows where else. It seems to me that your friend was awfully persistent in finding out how much fabric you have, what could be her reason? If it was me I would think that was not cool. My sewing toys are a running joke in our family. Nobody cares cause they get the fruits of my labor. I just ordered a Janome embroidery machine, can't wait for that to come in. Enjoy what you got and don't worry about what other people think.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:13 AM
Power Poster

I have at least a thousand cuts of fabric more than one yard long. Didn't count, just a guess.

I am not horrified at this. Been collecting for over twenty years.

And I never have just the right shade of any color I need for any particular project I am working on
peace
Old 08-10-2013, 05:19 AM

I would be afraid to count how many fabrics I have. I'm not sure I can count that high. I have been trying to use some of it up. I have probably 200 to 300 yards of what I consider to be my ugly fabric. It is all from yard sales or given to me. Other people like this fabric. I also have tons of what I call my pretty fabric. I have been trying to make at least one donation quilt before I can make a quilt from my bucket list. I have been sewing almost exclusively from my stash this year. I just made my GS a twin sized quilt and only had to buy one FQ of white to complete it. I have also been piecing my quilt backs to use up my stash. THings have gotten out of control in my sewing room.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:19 AM
Power Poster

I love how we can justify our stashes...
keep collecting your fabric stash you might be sewing at midnight when the shops are not open
Old 08-10-2013, 05:20 AM

If ' JoAnn 's' ain't calling you to place orders to stock their store then your OK And if they do ever call you DO NOT tell any family members. They'll only try to put you on medication for OCB----don't ask
Old 08-10-2013, 05:24 AM

I am a fabric collector and I need the 12 step program--NOT to stop buying but to have time to use it. I have so much fabric that I have bought on auction sales and was given and have bought from members on this board and I have literally given away a lot, but then I still have more. I may not ever get it all used, but I never buy real expensive fabric. What I buy is the same quality as the pricey stuff and if I make a mistake with it I don't feel so bad. I also feel that I can give it away and not bother me.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:28 AM

Even though I'll never sew all the fabric I have it makes me happy to open the cupboard doors and see it . I have two cupboards plus at least 4 or 5 large plastic tubs as well as numerous smaller tubs. I have lots of quilts planned but try to finish them and as I do my own quilting it can take a bit of time.

To Jan, nice to see you back. Get well soon.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:44 AM

I told myself when I started quilting that I was only going to buy fabric with a specific project in mind. That, to put it mildly, didn't last.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:47 AM

Don't be horrified - that stash is insurance to keep you sewing when you can't get to the fabric store or like me circumstances change and you can no longer afford to buy. My stash will probably last for more years than I'll live, unless the Good Lord is going to keep me here til I'm 150!