Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am horrified!! >

I am horrified!!

I am horrified!!

Old 08-10-2013, 08:36 AM

I'm sure they are all beautiful! Isn't it a nice feeling to know you can go fabric shopping at home, especially when there is bad weather
Old 08-10-2013, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
That's the whole point!!! At least in MY world, and I encourage it in others. For instance, I often sew at night (not yet - still another few weeks after surgery before I can do that!), I sew on the weekends, I sew when the shops are closed and it would really cramp my style if I had to run out for the right thing at those times. For instance, I just recently completed a curved log cabin quilt in graded shades of reds/golds/teal that had at least 50 different fabrics in it -- ALL from my stash. I'd have spent hours and hours if I had had to shop for those fabrics. Yuck!

Looks to me like you are off to a great start in your quilting career!
Yep. I agree 100%.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by quiltinglady-1 View Post
I was wondering why a non-quilter would be so insistent on knowing how much fabric you have. I would have told her that it doesn't matter how much I have but how much enjoyment I get from it. People that don't quilt, just don't understand about our desire to have beautiful fabric. Don't feel guilty about it, just enjoy it and continue creating from it and adding to your stash when you want.
For sure. It is my pantry and just as you (probably, assuming you eat at home) have food in your pantry/kitchen, I have fabric in my fabric pantry. And why does it matter to anyone else?
Old 08-10-2013, 08:42 AM

Ah, the great debate ... to wash or not to wash ... when I buy cheap fabric I may wash but otherwise, no, and I've never had a problem with running colors - the only ones I even worry about or test are reds and purples ... and never have had a problem. I know that some use Retayne or color catchers when they wash the first time, I haven't felt the need.
Haven't ever thought to wash batiks, since they are washed in between each color - and I have a LOT of batiks, well over 100 (probably closer to 2 or even 300), I'm afraid to count but am cutting strips to make my own 'jelly roll 1600 quilt' and will have more than enough to make at least two quilts if I only cut one strip from each batik in the bin.
I really love the look and feel of the quilts when I wash them for the first time and they suddenly look and feel like old friends instead of something that is perfectly smooth and 'too good to sit on' - I'm old and comfy and I want those things surrounding me to be old and comfy too

Originally Posted by EvieD44 View Post
I didn't know that you should wash all your batiks before using them..........why? Do they run? I love reading what's on this board almost every morning but I don't post. Don't know how things work on it. I know.....I know ....I should read how to do things. But that's like Facebook....I'm on that but don't usually post things either. Just love to look at the pics of my kids and grandchildren and friends of mine. I've been quilting for about 10 years, been retired for 5 years. I don't quilt regularly, only when I'm working on a project. I also have some UFO's. Now concerning my stash....I have it in two large book cases, and some draws and on some shelves.....I seem to be more of a collector than a sewer!!! But when I go in my sewing room I love to just stand there and look at all the beautiful colors!! I love my "stash" I don't know how much I have either.....but I know it's not enough! It will never be enough. And yes I do pick from it and I have made quilts from it without hardly buying any for that project. Nice talking to everyone! I just love, love this site......such wonderful people on it. I sit here every morning with my coffee and enjoy all of you!
Old 08-10-2013, 08:49 AM
Power Poster

so for the mensa-mathics, lol, what is horrified times 50? I gave up horrified long ago and am now numb, lol. Turns out I can't be creative if I can see it, so to help my artistic side and to protect my fabrics, all my shelves have curtains
Old 08-10-2013, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by MdmSew'n'Sew View Post
Ah, the great debate ... to wash or not to wash ... when I buy cheap fabric I may wash but otherwise, no, and I've never had a problem with running colors - the only ones I even worry about or test are reds and purples ... and never have had a problem. I know that some use Retayne or color catchers when they wash the first time, I haven't felt the need.
Haven't ever thought to wash batiks, since they are washed in between each color - and I have a LOT of batiks, well over 100 (probably closer to 2 or even 300), I'm afraid to count but am cutting strips to make my own 'jelly roll 1600 quilt' and will have more than enough to make at least two quilts if I only cut one strip from each batik in the bin.
I really love the look and feel of the quilts when I wash them for the first time and they suddenly look and feel like old friends instead of something that is perfectly smooth and 'too good to sit on' - I'm old and comfy and I want those things surrounding me to be old and comfy too
FYI - I would certainly take the time to wash the batiks - this is how I did mine. I have a pure white dishpan and I put a drop of liquid soap in a couple of inches of lukewarm water and then put a piece of batik in it - still folded and swished it around. If it did not bleed, I gently squeezed out the water, still folded and set it aside. Put in another piece of batik and repeated. If it did bleed, I changed the water and put in cool rinse water and kept changing the water until it quit bleeding - sometimes I would rinse a piece about 5 times before it quit bleeding. At least twice I had to throw away the piece as it never did quit bleeding. One bright blue piece looked like an octopus squirting out his ink every time I touched it. I then rinsed all of the "washed" batiks in cold water - still folded - and then laid them out onto thirsty big towels on my kitchen counter. I then draped them over clotheslines in my utility room and portable lines in my living room that I had my DH put up - it was winter and we had the fireplace going and the pieces dried very fast. Then folded them and put them away - did not see any need to iron. However, before using, I will probably iron them. Very little wrinkles.

HTH - Hope this helps.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:06 AM

I wouldn't be horrified, you are just saving up for when money gets tight and you can continue to create. I, myself, can't resist the word "SALE", I am quilting about 3 years now and probably have 500 different fabrics, always have to go out any buy fabric to match the quilt I am making, usually the borders or backing fabric is needed. We spend a small fortune on our "hobby", probably have enough to last the next decade, but I keep buying, don't want to run out.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:14 AM

I confess, I am a fabricoholic; my stash exceeds a closet with shelves across the closet and fabric in rows like fabric shops, (by color) bins for small pieces and overflow in an old dresser. You're not alone, I am not sure there is a cure, except maybe more fabric. (p.s. fabric shops will give away those cardboard fabric holders, and they can be divided into thinner pieces to hold more fabric)
Old 08-10-2013, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by wildwoodflower12390 View Post
I confess, I am a fabricoholic; my stash exceeds a closet with shelves across the closet and fabric in rows like fabric shops, (by color) bins for small pieces and overflow in an old dresser. You're not alone, I am not sure there is a cure, except maybe more fabric. (p.s. fabric shops will give away those cardboard fabric holders, and they can be divided into thinner pieces to hold more fabric)
I have "some" Fabric, I'll admit that much. BUT, my kids see it differently. They are all grown and have families. The running joke with all of them is "if you head downstairs to Moms sewing room - grab the rope so you can find your way out" and the one they like best is "telling people they think they have more siblings but they got lost in Moms sewing room and Mom aint talking.

Dingle
Old 08-10-2013, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Dina View Post
I guess I need to spend some time grouping fabric instead of just grabbing one fabric and buying stuff to go with it.
Exactly! If you see two or three that go together, put them together in a basket and before long, you will see another, and another, etc. If you ever have a chance to get an out-of-print book by Jinny Beyer called Color Confidence, that would help you.