Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am an idiot. Please help! >

I am an idiot. Please help!

I am an idiot. Please help!

Old 03-12-2014, 04:30 PM

Same as Prism said. Just add a piece of fabric to your block. Look at it as a creative learning opportunity. We have all made mistakes like this and we learn from each one of them. Who knows you may create a whole new block design!
Old 03-13-2014, 03:58 PM

Well, have you heard of” i cut it twice and it is still to short”?
Old 03-13-2014, 08:41 PM

First of all, yo are not an "idiot, you have to make alot of mistakes to sometimes get it right, I am not a perfectionist so I can usually handle flub-ups by just quilting and binding however it turns out. Yours is a different story, but learn by it. I've been ready to give my stash away more than once from many mistakes, but it always lures me back
Old 03-13-2014, 11:54 PM

I cut two borders last week at 51/2" that is until I measured after cutting. One was 51/2" the other 5" . So I made both 5". Lucky me an easy fix.
A as you like myself have no more fabric( you could go shopping) could you cut all down to the size you have cut. The quilt will be smaller but borders will add on to arrive at same size.
If you add on a small section I found pressing an open seam was best as it will lie flatter and blend in more.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:25 AM

Extra. I have just looked at an email and had another idea. Take a section of the fabric and print on a printer on the special fabric. This you can sew on and it will be a definately match. You could join two wrong sizes and then print this new fabric will have no join but it will give a cost.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:10 AM

This happens to all of us for one reason or another. Just be sure that when you stitch pieces together to make your new section that you add enough scrap piece to make the seam that you must create to fall well away from the edge or you will have extra bulk to deal with in a place that is difficult or will pull away because it is so small. In others words if you need to add a half inch, add an inch sized section and recut so the seam is well back from the finished seam. If you need to match a pattern, use Elmer's to add in the matching.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:44 AM

If you add a piece of fabric to the square, add a bigger piece than you need, then trim to the size needed.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:49 AM

Find a way to patch it, as many have suggested. It will make the quilt more interesting too!
Old 03-14-2014, 05:58 AM

Don't feel bad... The reason I know the mistakes that are going to be made on a project is because I've already made them..... and then, made them again. Being human is a challenge sometimes.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:59 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
You are not an idiot. Believe me, a quilter who has not done what you have done at least once, is a rare thing indeed. And I don't think quilters are the only ones. I bet carpenters do it a lot too, hence the carpenters credo "measure twice, cut once". We all know that saying and still we end up with the occasional short, pieced together with scraps piece. I have more than a few borders on quilts with a 1/2" patch in them.
I think often of the old saying that I learned when I went to Jr college in theatrical set design. "measure twice and cut once". We have ALL done THIS!! I will tell you a trick I use but it can't be more than an 1/8" of an inch difference. I fuse lightweight fusible interfacing (normally cut 3/8" wide strips) to the wrong side of the short edge. Trim the block. When I stitch that side to another block, I take it over to the ironing board (medium heat setting) and press it securely to reinforce the shorten 1/8" seam allowance. Never have had a problem.