Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am an idiot. Please help! >

I am an idiot. Please help!

I am an idiot. Please help!

Old 03-14-2014, 06:10 AM

You are not an idiot, don't be so hard on yourself. We have all done it and will probably do it again in the future. I just "did the math" on a quilt for my son and added a border of six inches and thought I was being so smart to add the six inches for my binding. Only I didn't remember that the six inches was going all the way around the quilt so had to piece to make it work. So piece together a square and as everyone has told you, when it is quilted you won't even see it.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:21 AM

I've done that before too. But my suggestion is to piece it in the center rather than the edge. First of all, the extra seam has less chance of being caught in your regular 1/4" seam, which would make a really bulky bump, but in the center you can pass it off as a "design decision " rather than an error!
Old 03-14-2014, 06:28 AM

Find a way to patch it, as many have suggested. It will make the quilt more interesting too! And BTW, I have NEVER made a mistake like that....NEVER! ;-).
Old 03-14-2014, 08:01 AM

I've been in the same boat as you. I found if I put a piece of painter's tape on the cutting line of my ruler I have a better chance of not making those cutting mistakes. Also they now have rulers with guide lines you set that help out too. I have them now but haven't really gotten into using them much. So used to my old ways its hard to break into a new way of doing things. My rulers are getting old though so when it comes time they are useless for cutting purposes, I'll switch to the new ones I have already.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
Yes even carpenters can't get it right. You should see how many homes are off in their square footage.
This reminded me of a friend who bought a really nice house for cheap. She said that the builders forgot to measure for the laundry room, therefore no laundry room in their new house.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:08 AM
Power Poster

Piecing the square is probably your only option. Regardless of how many years I've been quilting, I can count on occasionally cutting a square too short. One thing I have done in the past when I'm cutting multiples of a measurement, I will put a piece of masking tape or painter's paint on the top of the ruler, so I can see exactly where I have to cut.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:27 PM

You have received excellent advice. I just want to add, don't be so hard on yourself. You are in very good company, and it has nothing to do with being a new quilter.
As has been said, we all do this from time to time, and you will probably do it again now and then. No head banging and name calling required; just take it in stride. And just wait till you cut a whole stack of squares for a quilt wrong, lol. Sometimes there is no patching, sometimes it just becomes a creative design opportunity. Embrace those times too, you just might LOVE the new pattern you come up with.
Smiles and hugssssss...... remember we are quilting because we love it and it's FUN!
Old 03-14-2014, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Porcelina View Post
I'm new to quilting. I'm working on my second quilt and I swear to God that I measured 4 times, but guess what I did? Cut my square too short. Is there a product like a tape that I can tape on the extra .5 inch that I need (since I have no extra fabric other than some scrap) or am I s.o.l?

Thanks
Join the club of the quilting world. If anyone tells you they have never done this I think they are truly telling a whale of a FIB. More than once I know I measured 2-4 times on blocks and they have come out too small. Sometimes I really do think it is some fabrics. I experienced square shrinking a lot once and I recut squares fro the same fabric and a different fabric, pressed both after the block was made hst it definitely turned out to be the fabric. So no you are not an idiot, this just happens, so hang in there and keep making your quilts.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:12 PM

A sign of a great carpenter and quilter is being able to cover up your mistakes and make them look like you meant for them to be there. Fantastic advice has been given because we've all been there at one time or another.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:08 PM

You are not an idiot. We all have made the same mistake. In fact, I'm working on a quilt right now that was supposed to have 7 1/2" rectangles and I just noticed the other night that I cut mine 6 1/2". Oh well, it's still working. haha Year before last, I had to sew an extra little piece to my backing because I cut the corner off. duh! Like everyone said, don't be so hard on yourself. If you have to be perfect to quilt, I might as well quit right now.