Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: I am making a rag quilt, please help......

I have made many of these quilts, both with larger blocks throughout (9" finishing to 7") and others. It doesn't matter as long as you make all the blocks the same size. Some of them I made had large blocks and then 4 small blocks that totalled the same size as the larger blocks to go in between the larger blocks. I have made them from denim with either flannel or batting inside for my grandsons who like to drag them everywhere and they have held up well. I used to make them to sell in a boutique in San Francisco until my hands finally said "that's enough". They make great gifts and everyone loves them. Just have fun with it.

I also use the Heritage snips. My hands don't fatigue using them. I make my seams 1/2" and clip very closely together. I love how it looks when clipped so close. Also, when I make my X, I use a stipple stitch. Love how that looks also.

bj
    I've made several. I love them. I think block size is a personal preference. I use smaller (5", 4" finished) for baby quilts, (9, 8" finished) for lap quilts. I make a star in mine, then stitch all the way around the edge just inside the seam line. I think as long as you use a good batting, they hold up pretty well. My son's has been washed many times and still looks great.

I did one for my future daughterinlaw for Christmas. I hope to attach a picture. I alternated a 9" block with two rectangle ragged together. I was privileged to use my friend's special machine to do a fancy stitch on the big blocks. I'm anxious to do another but won't use the fancy stitching.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Like the idea of washing it in a pillowcase. Does it work? I hate the laundramat!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by coldtoesinmi
    I have not quilted in a long time and I am making a rag quilt to start out. I need some advice on the best pattern for the quilt. I saw an easy one that was just 9 inch squares (8 inch finished), I wondered if that was to large a block for a rag quilt.

I am making this quilt with homespun cotton as a trial because a couple of years ago I planned a rag quilt and bought some of the most beautiful flannel I have ever seen. I do not want to "learn" on that. It cost a couple of hundred dollars. Any advice would be great, I have looked around this site, but I would love some personal stories...

Thanks-

Michelle :D
    I have made many raggedy quilts. Log cabin, plain squares, embroidered...I even add Long sashing pieces to them...you just need to "quilt" the sashings pieces more than just an "x" or few lines the way you do to the squares.

I am working on two right now and should have them finished this week. Will post pics. I use a triple stitch to join them...the one that goes forward and backward. I dont use osnaberg in the middle...for me two layers of flannel is warm enough, but the osnaberg really makes the edges "rag/ruffle" prettier.

Margie

I do my rag quilts a bit differently. I do not use the batting in the middle layer. I have done both homespun and flannel quilts this way. I buy a less expensive, or if I can get the fabric on sale, homespun or flannel fabric that have the color the same on both sides. I cut this fabric the same size as the other two and use it as the batting. It will then fray along with the top and back layers and gives a really fluffy feel to it. I still sew the layers together with a design, possibly and "X" or a heart or spiral.

baby flannel rag quilts with different sizes blocks
    Name:  Attachment-20724.jpe
Views: 108
Size:  49.5 KB

baby flannel rag quilt - 3 layers of flannel
    Name:  Attachment-20740.jpe
Views: 109
Size:  59.2 KB

I really love the look of your rag quilts. Do you mean that you cut all 3 layers the same size and just sew through all 3 layers or do you cut the inner layer 2" smaller as you would if using a batting?

I cut all three layers the same size, sew through all three and snip the seam allowances on all three. It really makes the seams bloom, and cuts out the tedious job of cutting and placing the batting. Mine is a three ply sandwich, so to speak.

That's what I did with the one pictured above. The flannel that I used in the middle really made the other colors POP when it frayed!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grma33
    I have a stitch on my phaff that double stitches with single needle.
    I wash mine in my dog`s bed pillow case. I use good flannel but some from walmart and I don`t seem to have much to shake out for the birdfs.
    I just finished this baby one with 4 inch finished3
    Gale
    How cute Gale! I like them made out of flannel and homespun .... they are both totally different looks.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sewbeeit42
    I do my rag quilts a bit differently. I do not use the batting in the middle layer. I have done both homespun and flannel quilts this way. I buy a less expensive, or if I can get the fabric on sale, homespun or flannel fabric that have the color the same on both sides. I cut this fabric the same size as the other two and use it as the batting. It will then fray along with the top and back layers and gives a really fluffy feel to it. I still sew the layers together with a design, possibly and "X" or a heart or spiral.
    How smart of you! I have seen them done by others where the person was affraid they wouldn't catch the filler in the seams so sewed a bigger seam .. then when they snipped the quilt you could see the stuffing. I like your idea,
    so much easier!! :thumbup:

I also love to make rag quilts.I made my grandkids rag quilts for christmas. I used flannel an made a bear, rabbit an a cat. Very easy and very cute. I got the pattern from Handcocks Fabric.

Hi Quilters,
    I have been reading about making rag quilts and I want to ask: What is a rag quilt ?

I've never heard of them and it sounds like something I would like to do.

Where cuold I find instructions.

Thanks, Lilly.

Michelle,
    Consider checking with local quilt shops to find someone with the accucut rag quilt template. If they have it, they may cut it for you. The templates come with the fringe already cut. The batting size is perfect. It only takes a brief time to cut it. My advice on washing - go to the laundry to do it. Last xmas I did one and the day after xmas it cost me $250 for the pipes to be snaked. There is a rough texture on the cast iron pipes, perfect for snagging those threads. Pretty soon they build up and a blockage occurs. Much cheaper at the laundromat.
    Happy stitching

If any of the quilt stores in your area has an Accu quilt cutter club, maybe you could rent some time on the machine. Accuquilt has a die which cuts the block and the fringe at the same time. You would not have to cut the fringe at all. You spend a little more time layering the fabric before cutting, but it spares you all of the time and pain of cutting that fringe afterwards. I cut one out on the machine in about a half hour, with about another half hour of prep time before that.

dp

The 9 inch square is what I have used. Simply sew an x across the square (putting batting in if you wish). With homespun I might use a smaller square. Cut batting smaller--about an 1 inch.The two sides of the material are sewn wrong sides together with the batting between the two. This is a fun quilt so experiment. I have seen them done in squares and triangles and rectangles and a combination of them all.

Blog Entries
    I had no problem with the washing machine getting a lot of loose strings, only the dryer.

Blog Entries
    I have made several rag quilts. I used homespun on one with denium & flanel in side for batting. I also X 'd mine blocks which were 6 inch. I stitched my seams twice, a quilt shop told me it would make a sturdier quilt after the clipping & ragging if I double stitched it.
    Sandy

stitch twice, good to know, SandyGail. :D

Hello to you...I have made lots of rag quilts and have used every size from 5 inch to 12 inch squares. I have found that even using 1/2 in seams do okay, but I prefer 3/4 inch. You can't go wrong...EVERYONE loves them. Homespuns are the best.

Blog Entries
    I have enjoyed reading all of this advise as well. I am in the middle of making my first rag quilt. A friend of mine has ask that I make one for her. I explained to her that I did not know how to do this. She keeps insisting that I make one for her anyway. So I decided to just jump in. I am making my squares 6 inches before stitching. I will remember to stitch 3/4 to 1 inch as suggested above. I will also try to find the clips that were suggested.
    chamby :D

I recommend going to second hand stores and yard sales. Buy old clothes or whatever you can find in fabrics you like to work with in colors you like and cut them up for quilting. Then you can call it an ecologically green project as well :lol:

I downloaded a great rag quilt pattern from Penny Halaron ([email protected] to quilt.com) I think I paid about 5 dollars for it. Takes about 48 hours from start to finish. There are about 5 styles to choose from. There were complete instructions from start to finish. I thought it was so much fun, I taught some of the ladies at my church on a Friday and Saturday.
    Prisjo

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I've many rag quilts from homespun. I layer and sew the way crashnquilt explained. One important tip I can give you is buy these scissors by Heritage Cutlery

[IMG]http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z23/sewbug/13033.jpg[/IMG]

The Fiskar's spring handle scissors are nice but cannot compare to these for cutting rag quilts. I have no hand fatigue at all using these scissors for snipping. the blades are razor sharp and they pop open with no drag at all. The blades are slightly rounded to prevent accidentally cutting into the seam.

that is on my wish list and I won't be doing another rag quilt until I get one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2