Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I Am Out Of Control!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pinkberrykay View Post
    okay forgive my ignorance, but what is a feed sack and what was its purpose and why are they so desirable now.

I may kick myself for asking, since this may become a new addiction.
    Years ago, animal feed and flour came in cotton sacks. The fabric was used to make clothing and scraps were made into quilts. My mother remembers wearing dresses and underwear made from the feed sacks. I have a few feed sacks that were came from my aun't stash after she died.

BTW, pinkberry, if you think you might become addicted, stay away from the feedsacks while you recover from the vintage machine addiction.
    Sweet Caroline

Blog Entries
    Have noy gotten into buying those yet but have lots of fabric I need to use uo first

Quote Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
    So do you have enough to make a quilt? If so get started on sewing/piecing/quilting, and limit your computer time. Another method is give yourself a "allowance" for the week/month when its gone its gone.
    FYI those feed sack fabrics aren't going to be enough when you are "living under a bridge", or in a van down by the river.

Rofl. About feeds sacks

Feed Sacks...

Many years ago my sister and I were at an auction and purchased a huge box of them. We took them home and cut them in half so we each had the same prints. I used several of mine one time in a table runner. It is my favorite runner of all times. I have used it on my kitchen table for many years. It washes beautifully and the fabric has held up really well. Hmmm.....might have to get that box back out and play again.... Enjoy them!

Blog Entries
    Thanks for posting pictures of feed sacks. They were before my time and Mom was not a sewer so I had no idea they were so pretty. I'll have to add those to my "things to get" list.

That sounds like something I would love to do, too. Great idea!

My favorite is in the top photo with the red borders! So pretty.

I, too, love feed sacks even though I am old enough '70' to have worn those dresses made from that fabric.
    Mother sewed for the 4 of us. She made sure my brother didn't wear clothing made from the flowered ones.
    We had table cloths, curtains & tea towels made from them. 100 % cotton. Yes, the holes left from where the
    string was removed is a proof certain way to tell them are authentic. Please keep showing pictures.
    I am interested in the crazy quilt idea including vintage embroidery work.

You need an intervention! Back away from the computer!

Great idea to post pics of our feed sack fabric. So many of the younger ones here on the QB don't know about them.
    Sweet Caroline

better get your quilts made before they turn your electric off so you can keep warm under the bridge.... love it
    I love to look at feedsack and find the patterns i remember momma having especially the ones i had dresses made of.
    it is a good thing you are just discovering feedsack now when eBay 1st started people thought it was rare turns out not so rare it is everywhere. the prices were about 4 X as times as high 13 years ago when i started selling it as they are now
    Last edited by annies-best; 02-03-2012 at 11:26 AM.

I think that's a great idea!!! Anyone with feed sacks take a few seconds, snap a picture and post it here so we can see them. I'd love to see others' collections.
    Kim

Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like never washed a dog. ~Franklin P. Jones

Thanks,for sharing. I remember the sacks from my grandmother.Would love to have a few myself.I am in the process of quilting 1 of 3 toppers that my great-grandmother finished 50 years ago. She did the quilt top ,but never got around to quilting/binding them. I am new at this so it might take awhile.

I have heard people mention these and i was surprised at how pretty they are. Thank you for posting the pictures. How much do they cost to buy and where do you get them from?????
    Dreaming of New England while being stuck in So. Calif.(the asphalt jungle of the world.) But hey the Happiest Place on Earth is here.

Blog Entries
    Oh no i am in trouble, i love those and never seen any that nice, the ones i see are always plain, i guess i will be seeing you on ebay kims, thank you for sharing.
    Mary

Ahh so NOW I know who is outbidding me. LOL I am trying to buy pieces to repair a couple of quilts for a friend. I got a few pieces from sweet ladies on here too.

Pictures of embroidery blocks with vintage fabric

I have had a few requests for pictures of my quasi-crazy quilt project. It starts with a straight but irregular edge cut focus fabric of embroidered cotton layered on a 10" piece of muslin or other scrap. My picture shows two blocks that started with segments of a pillowcase. The fabrics that are "sewn and flipped" around the focus fabric are vintage. Some may be from feedsacks -- that I don't know, but they are old. These blocks were trimmed to 9.5", but the size is anybody's choice. I plan to set the blocks on point and will use the "quilt as you go" technique to connect them. My avatar shows a quilt made with this method.

Dayle
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by urgodschild2 View Post
    I have heard people mention these and i was surprised at how pretty they are. Thank you for posting the pictures. How much do they cost to buy and where do you get them from?????
    I won't pay more than $20 for the large ones. I'm finding mine on Ebay but also found a fantastic site that offers hundreds of them at reasonable prices. Here's the site if you want to go look around. http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares...partment&ID=57
    Last edited by KimS; 02-03-2012 at 02:53 PM.
    Kim

Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like never washed a dog. ~Franklin P. Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Daylesewblessed View Post
    I have had a few requests for pictures of my quasi-crazy quilt project. It starts with a straight but irregular edge cut focus fabric of embroidered cotton layered on a 10" piece of muslin or other scrap. My picture shows two blocks that started with segments of a pillowcase. The fabrics that are "sewn and flipped" around the focus fabric are vintage. Some may be from feedsacks -- that I don't know, but they are old. These blocks were trimmed to 9.5", but the size is anybody's choice. I plan to set the blocks on point and will use the "quilt as you go" technique to connect them. My avatar shows a quilt made with this method.

Dayle
    Those are soooooo pretty!!!! I remember Mom having loads of the embroidered pillow cases and my Grandma use to do them all the time. Such a shame I don't have any of them today. When you finish your project be sure and come back here to post a picture. I bet your quilt is going to be gorgeous!!!
    Kim

My Two

I have two feedsacks of the green print which still are stitched together. Actually, they may be flour sacks. These sacks were in my Aunt Peggy's scraps. The solid blue-green one is a feed sack. There is a remaining logo that reads, "GlobeA-1 Laying Mash." So I know that one is a feed sack.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sweet Caroline

This is Strange! Because I to have Started a Vintage/Feedsack Quilt in just the last 4 days, I've cut 95 blocks so far! Do you think it could be a "Mind Control" on the World Web!

I absolutely love these........thanks so much for posting the pictures. Now I know for sure that I want to make
    a quilt top like this. Appreciate it.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    here's a link to a box of a few feedsacks I have.. it was then, that i began collecting them...

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...cs-t65502.html

Blog Entries
    Please be sure to post a pic when you complete your quasi crazy quilt. I'm anxious to see it.

LOL I have bought so much fabric from ebay that the others tease me about it all the time, but they drool a little at my good buys. Have fun with all your feed sacks.
    Jo

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast