Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am a quilter >

I am a quilter

I am a quilter

Old 08-30-2011, 11:23 AM

I think you were very nice to her. My neighbor asks me to do repairs occasionally and then wants to overpay me so I only take money from her when I spend over and hour etc.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:30 AM

For years I made nearly all of the clothes for my family and occasionally for others. I no longer sew garments but I do quilt. After moving here (Sr. housing) I was bombarded with requests for shorten slacks, men's pants, sewing up seams, etc. At 1st it was the men mostly. Then the women. They should have known how themselves. I finally just told them I just didn't have the time, that my family came first. Why do people think that because you sew and have a machine, you will do most anything. SURPRISE. No more. The nerve of some people. Grrrrrrrr
Old 08-30-2011, 11:39 AM

I would have done the same! I don't mind fixing something once in a while for one of my children, but neighbors know I don't sew anymore, just quilt!
Old 08-30-2011, 12:27 PM

I've had a few people want to start using me for repairs once they know I sew. I mostly quilt though, and my best sewing consists of straight lines. :-) I've made Halloween costumes and dresses for my daughter, but I hate using patterns. It's too expensive to just use my thread and fabric for repairs too anymore. You did the right thing giving her a coupon and pointing her the right way.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:38 PM

I do not sew for other people...period. I used to be a patsy and would do favors for anyone who asked. (I was yonger then too) but find once you start it's a never ending situation. I quilt and will make quilts for people I either love or really like; but it's always 'cause I want to, not because I'm asked or expected to.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:03 PM

Hem pants? Why? Put on shoes with higher heels. My dh knows that asking me to sew something must be followed with a nice "reward", since I am barely on speaking terms with garment repair or remolding. I use the iron on method to hem my own slacks, if I have to. I make a real effort to make sure I always buy the right length.

I think you were very diplomatic.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:27 PM

Give them all the name and address of a cleaners with this service...maybe the cleaners gives out cards, and would be grateful for the reccomend?
Old 08-30-2011, 03:06 PM

I would do the same thing as you did. Once you do one thing more will come
Old 08-30-2011, 03:20 PM

I just smile and offer to hem them for $40 per pair. They never seem to ask again. My favorite question was about a lace dress, that she wanted me to let out 4 inches overall at the waist, "oh, and by the way can you put a different color lining under it?" Right! I don't think so! :shock: :lol:
Old 08-30-2011, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by MIJul
I would have said, "Sure. I charge $10 per hem."($20 per pair of slacks). And if she would have paid it, I would have done it. Extra money for more fabric. :-)
Ditto. froggyintexas