Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am a Scaredy Cat!!!!! >

I am a Scaredy Cat!!!!!

I am a Scaredy Cat!!!!!

Old 09-16-2011, 04:12 AM

The quilt I spray basted has puckers in the back. I have to take out and start over. it is a queen size quilt and I guess all the twisting and pulling thru the machine I pulled it loose.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:12 AM

I use spray basteing and I also pin it. With that in mind, make sure your pins are not more than 4 inches apart. Works for me.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:14 AM

The batting and backing you are using does make a difference. It is much easier to avoid puckers if you are using Warm and White or Warm and Natural than a polyester batting. Something with a lot of cotton in it just automatically stays in place better. Polycotton backings also like to pucker. When I start, I like to run one line of stitching right down the middle both vertically and horiontally to anchor everything. It also allows you to quilt in sections. This has helped me.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:25 AM

I only quilt the small crib quilts and lap quilts. If you lay them on a table and pull the backing taut. I use masking tape to hold the backing down Then I use safety pins where ever I 'm not going to quilt. I also use a walking foot, and sew slowly.
I don't get any tucks but I only stitch in the ditch.
I roll the quilt from both sides from where I am quilting, and secure with bicycle clips. Then throw the rest of the quilt over my shoulder so the weight of the quilt doesn't drag and pull from the sewing area.
My larger quilts I send out to a longarm quilter for the wonderful custom quilting needed for bed size quilts.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:44 AM

Watch leahdaydesigns.com tutorials! She is Wonderful, and you will have more confidence about it!happy quilting!
MJ
Old 09-16-2011, 04:49 AM
Anonymous

Originally Posted by Shelbie
The batting and backing you are using does make a difference. It is much easier to avoid puckers if you are using Warm and White or Warm and Natural than a polyester batting. Something with a lot of cotton in it just automatically stays in place better. Polycotton backings also like to pucker. When I start, I like to run one line of stitching right down the middle both vertically and horiontally to anchor everything. It also allows you to quilt in sections. This has helped me.
Funnily enough I found it was the pure cotton batting that didn't cling. Maybe it depends on the type of quilting.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:53 AM

I use spray basting and pins.It also help to start in middle and work your way out.Hope this helps.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:09 AM

Hello neighbor from Arcanum,

I just bought some spray basting I'm going to try because I have the same problem.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by Shelbie
that is a good idea about running a line of stitching each direction. I just used a fleece blanket for a baby quilt's batting and i had trouble with the spray not sticking and I got puckers. Do you think its the blanket as it was probaby all accrylic/polyester?
Old 09-16-2011, 05:40 AM

I spray baste, then I pin or hand baste.
Use a new needle.
Use a busy print for your quilt back, it will hide a lot of mistakes.
Practice on a table topper or pot holder.
If your machine has varible speeds, slow the machine down.
Check your tension setting on a sample piece.
Make sure your quilt is supported in the back of the machine as well as the side (if your quilt hangs over the back or side, it will fight you for control)
Wear quilting gloves, if you don't have a pair use gardening gloves which has the rubber nubs. I have used these with the finger tips cut off and they work great.
Put on some music or an audio book to listen to, relax
And lastly practice, practice, practice