Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am a Scaredy Cat!!!!! >

I am a Scaredy Cat!!!!!

I am a Scaredy Cat!!!!!

Old 09-16-2011, 07:27 AM

In 4 pages one person mentioned double sided fusible fleece!!!??? It is easier, quicker, safer (no toxic fumes) and re-doable w/o hassle.

I've used warm and natural and loved it, a poly mix batting and liked it fine, but the double sided fusible fleece is fantastic! I'm using it now on a huge (7x8' queen) and I never have to worry about anything shifting. JoAnn's sells it; most fabric stores do.

The instructions will tell you something like iron on your back using some lower heat w/o steam. I use a flat ironing board (easy to make) so can lay the quilt out on my table and have a better view of what I'm are doing. My "ironing board" is about 36x20" and I move it as I iron (easier than moving the fabric).

I center my backing on (I put a dot in the center of the batting and on the center of each of the 4 edges), and do the same with my backing and and the top (using pins to mark the center of my fabric layers, not a dot!). I lighter iron down the backing, turn the 2/3 sandwich over and center the top on, and iron down lightly.

When it is together and you've checked it on both sides for any problems (and there are done) you re-iron using steam (usually) and it become very firm (you can still re-steam it if you ironed in a fold, re-iron, lift and redo).

Then trim the fusible fleece around the edges --I always leave an inch or two of extra along the sides because I like the look and feel of the raised binding. Bind as you prefer. No problem or noticible difference with the needle going through the sandwich when I'm quilting on my regular (only) sewing machine.

Wash it (I always wash my quilts when I am done and before giving), the sticky stuff dissolves completely and the quilt is light and lovely (and loose if you've left a big enough area unquilted so you can test it).

I can make a lap robe, using wide strips of fabric, in a few hours. No more pinning, no more dabbing up blood spots, no more ripping out! And, no toxic fumes! You can't beat fusible fleece.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:34 AM

Ditto
Old 09-16-2011, 09:33 AM

Here is the link for using the boards. This is 2 parts so watch both. I haven't tried this yet but think I would spray baste instead of basting with thread.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA
Old 09-16-2011, 09:34 AM

Hope this isn't too silly a question - but what side do you spray baste? Both?
Old 09-16-2011, 09:43 AM

Hope this isn't too silly a question - but what side do you spray baste? Both?
Old 09-16-2011, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by lisajane
I love to quilt both hand and SORTA machine. I have made lap quilts by both methods. I have got quite a few tops that I have pieced by machine, BUT my problem is I am so affraid of machine quilting, it is awkward, I have a tendency to get tucks on the back that need to be seam rippered, and it is so bulky. Is there a good method for machine quilting? I have took some classes over the years, but by the time it is time to quilt it, you take it home to finish. I would love to be confident when it comes to machine quilting, but I am just not. I see some beautiful free style quilting but I get all nervy when I go to do it, I do not know why. I guess the thought of completing a whole quilt only to find 10 tucks on the back that need to be ripped out makes my stomach churn. Anybody got any sure fire solutions, I do baste, but to no avail.
Try a different foot?
Old 09-16-2011, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by kerrytaylor
Originally Posted by shnnn
Absolutely love spray basting - haven't had any tucks with it, and no problems sewing through it. If you set up another table or ironing board at a 90* angle to your machine on your left to hold the weight of the quilt it help immensely as well. And for me -- no straight lines! I cannot SITD at all, total fail!
I have never machine quilted but am preparing to do so this weekend. After tutorials, etc. I think Im close to being ready. I bought spray baste but it was the "dritz" brand - couldn't find 505. My question,one person mentioned steam iron after spray basting, I assume to get better adhesion(?). Do you have any comments on that? I have a bunch of basting pins too.
I use the June Tailor or something like that from Walmart... I don't iron it - never had a problem with adhesion. I sometimes will pin around the edges only on big quilts, but not always. I've never tried the fusible batting - but sounds nice - no sticky nose hairs...
Old 09-16-2011, 10:33 AM

I posted a tute of how I do sectional Quilt as you go if you want to check that out. It helps me a lot and I like that you don't have those joining strips.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:41 AM

I am a tried and true member of the churning tummy club. I have made more than a few tucks on the back of my quilts that needed attention and ripping out. So, I learn.

I am sure many on this board will tell you to practice on small samples to get the free motion "thing" down. It does help. The tucks, well it demands more. Baste a lot, or if you use pins, pin a lot but this all starts with a flat, taunt back before you even start to baste. I found this the best advise and help I have ever had with eliminating the tucks and wrinkles on the back of my quilts. I tape the back of my quilt to the floor to start my layers and then check for wrinkles after all my basting (pins) is done. I can catch some whoppers before I ever put the quilt under the needle.

Quilt in a place where you have room to spread out a large section of your quilt so you can "feel" the little bumps and tucks and smooth your fabric as you quilt.

Lastly keep trying. It does get better. I can't afford to send mine out and can no long do large quilts by hand but I am getting better at the free motion and eliminating the hours of ripping.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:49 AM

I am a tried and true member of the churning tummy club. I have made more than a few tucks on the back of my quilts that needed attention and ripping out. So, I learn.

I am sure many on this board will tell you to practice on small samples to get the free motion "thing" down. It does help. The tucks, well it demands more. Baste a lot, or if you use pins, pin a lot but this all starts with a flat, taunt back before you even start to baste. I found this the best advise and help I have ever had with eliminating the tucks and wrinkles on the back of my quilts. I tape the back of my quilt to the floor to start my layers and then check for wrinkles after all my basting (pins) is done. I have caught some whoppers before I ever put the quilt under the needle.

Quilt in a place where you have room to spread out a large section of your quilt so you can "feel" the little bumps and tucks and smooth your fabric as you quilt. It helps.

Lastly keep trying. It does get better. I can't afford to send mine out and can no long do large quilts by hand but I am getting better at the free motion and eliminating the hours of ripping.