Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am starting a quilting club!!!! (at my church) >

I am starting a quilting club!!!! (at my church)

I am starting a quilting club!!!! (at my church)

Old 08-20-2010, 06:09 AM

Hi, Can I ask where in Monroeville you are located? I would be very interested in joining or is it for church members only. Thanks
Old 08-20-2010, 06:20 AM

Good morning! I live in Corvallis OR and belong to a church quilt group. We meet the first and fourth Tuesday morning and make comfort quilts which we donate to our local charity. Our group is small so far with 6 members, but we have such a good time and are quite productive! The quilts are blessed during Sunday sermon before they are given away. I love your pillowcase idea and would be grateful for your pattern. I think that would be a wonderful addition to what we do. God bless you and happy quilting!!
Old 08-20-2010, 06:22 AM

The best way to find out about shows in your area is to check out the websites of all the quilt guilds in your area. The more established / bigger guilds will have a show either every year or every other year. Some of them have an auction in conjunction with the show and some of them alternate every other year with an auction.

Also, check with the LQSs in your area and if they have an online newsletter, sign up for it. Many of them will have flyers and may also sell tickets.

If you've never gone to a quilt auction before, I recommend you go. I've gone to a couple guild auctions, and a couple church group auctions. The best one was the auction at the Mennonite church which was raising money for their missions. Quilters from Mennonite and Amish communities all over the country had sent quilts to be included. They had all the quilts hung so that we could get up close and personal with them and the work was gorgeous.

If you're interested in attending one of the big shows (Houston, Chicago, Paducah), some of the LQSs will sponsor a bus trip, which will include your hotel, some of your meals and tickets to the show. My sister travelled from Missouri to Houston a couple years ago and her total cost was just a little more than an airplane ticket (then she would have had to pay for meals, hotels and tickets to the show).
Old 08-20-2010, 06:29 AM

The pillow case instructions are on Allpeoplequilt.com
Old 08-20-2010, 07:04 AM

YOUTUBE has a Great tutorial on pillowcases from the Missouri Star Quilt Company. Use either of those links in the search engine and you will find it. That sausage style pillow case is the best out there! A great quality case and soo easy too! **You will find that link in our tutorial section...
Old 08-20-2010, 08:15 AM

I started a church quilt group about 8 years ago. Since then we have had quilters come and go. We meet every Wednesday from 6:00pm - 8:30pm. The original group did a 1/2 hour Bible study first and then worked on a six block sampler. Each of the six blocks had a different technique, applique, paper piecing, half square triangles, etc. We have grown to about 15 quilters and each year we do a Get It Done Weekend and a Mystery Weekend. During the year we often do a challenge. This year we did a Block Barter where 12 of us each put in a focus fabric in a box and passed it to the next person. That person used her focus fabric and added addition fat quarters to make her square and left over fabric stayed in the box. I saw the first finished quilt this week and it was great>
Old 08-20-2010, 09:21 AM

There is a website, www.graceandpeacequilts.com, from another church that has some simple and fast patterns. They may also have some ideas for you to get started. We also have a quilt group at church and we seem to never have a shortage of needs.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:02 AM

It sounds like a plan to me. So much fun to get together and share. One of the best things to encourage newbies is also a way to raise money for outreach, etc. is to have a UFO challenge. Everyone brings a completed UFO, not necessarily quilt related, to show and tell. If you don't bring one, .50 in the kitty. This really inspired me to start finishing things, even very small projects, and raised money for paper, postage, all kinds of expenses.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jayelee
I recently joined a quilt group at our library We meet the 2nd and fourth Tuesdays of the month We all bring something to work on and any questions we might have we spend most of our meeting helping each out with problems much the sameway this board helps out We are just feeling our way along but it sure has been loads of fun
I go wkly in an afternoon to an experienced quilter's house, several ladies join the meeting and bring what they are doing, many are experienced but there are those of us who are novices and get lots advice on what is best/how to piece/which way to quilt/bind etc. it is great fun and lovely seeing what others are doing ; have been to various sewing .quilting type meetings but felt very inferior when confronted with so many talented almost bragging members.
I feel it is v important to keep it informal and am grateful that I go.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Slow2Sew
There is a website, www.graceandpeacequilts.com
I tried to find this website, and all I got was a list of links. There was a message at the bottom of the page stating the site might be for sale(?).