Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I Cannot Bind!! >

I Cannot Bind!!

I Cannot Bind!!

Old 03-07-2013, 09:23 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Ardelle Coult View Post
In total desperation I tried single fold binding. Sooooo much easier and it looks great. Not sure the reason for double fold???
Double fold binding is stronger. Binding tends to wear out faster than the rest of the quilt, so it helps to have a double layer of fabric in the binding.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:30 AM

I sew my binding on, then turn it to the back and use Ellmers Washable School Glue to hold the backside down. Miter my corners carefully with the glue and press everything. Then I don't even need binder clips. Makes the whole process much faster and easier for me
Old 03-07-2013, 10:54 AM

Default Oh yes you can girl!

Originally Posted by EllieGirl View Post
I watch videos, follow directions, and my corners always look like something is bunched up. What am I doing wrong??
With help from this group you can do ANYTHING!
Old 03-07-2013, 11:12 AM

There is always every month a full page of quilting tips published in the Quiltmaker magazine. It is worth the price for this one page alone. Long ago I ran a copy and put it in my sewing room where I can quickly lay my hands on it. The page shows you very clearly how to get perfect corners. The best part is the trick for joining the 2 ends with a bias seam, I have to look at it every time, but I love it. One thing you must do is press your binding first and be very careful to maintain a consistent seam, especially at the corners. You might also try reducing the downward pressure on the presser foot, and if you are not using a walking foot, you should.
HTH
Pat
Old 03-07-2013, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
.........I usually get three points just right and for whatever reason just totally screw up the 4th one. "I MEANT for that corner to be rounded!" That's my story and I'm sticking to it!! LOL
LOL! So do I. 3 points good and 1 totally off the mark. Follow the pointers given by others and you shouldn't have much trouble coming up with a good mitered corner. Good Luck!
Old 03-07-2013, 12:41 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I watched a YouTube video where the gal cuts the triangle piece of the binding off on the mitered corner before she sews it down. She says that will bunch up the corner. That little piece will wreck havoc on a corner, she says.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:51 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
I watched a YouTube video where the gal cuts the triangle piece of the binding off on the mitered corner before she sews it down. She says that will bunch up the corner. That little piece will wreck havoc on a corner, she says.
You have to be ***really*** careful if you do this! If you even nick the binding fold, you will have ruined the corner. I do sometimes trim a little of the *batting only* at the corner. I once trimmed a whole little triangle off each corner before turning the binding; had to remove all of it and start over again, as there was a hole in each miter!
Old 03-07-2013, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by EllieGirl View Post
I watch videos, follow directions, and my corners always look like something is bunched up. What am I doing wrong??
Kaye Wood has the best video on binding ever. Learn how to do it like Kaye does. You'll have wonderful mitered binding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf7Mm_mkbCc
Old 03-07-2013, 07:05 PM

You can bind! I thought the same thing, it just takes time and practice , I do it by hand though, I like the way it looks and actually, it use to be my biggest fear and now it is my favorite part , but just have patience with your self, you can do it .
Old 03-07-2013, 08:06 PM

The video that has helped me the most is Sharon Schamber's Binding the Angel. She uses Elmer's school glue and it works perfectly every time. Heck, even my corners are looking pretty good now!