Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I Cannot Bind!! >

I Cannot Bind!!

I Cannot Bind!!

Old 03-07-2013, 08:12 PM

I have a tool called "Quilter's Boot". It helps you make perfectly mitered corners by using separate pieces of binding for each side. You use the tool to mark where to stitch and the come out beautiful every time.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:46 PM

I used to have a lot of trouble with binding, also. I followed the instructions given at the beginning of this thread AND I used a Pfaff with that wonderful built-in walking foot. Since then, my bindings are perfect 99 percent of the time. That said, I tried to bind on a Singer 401 last week just because I had quilted a quilt on it and had it on my table. Oh, geez! It was not a perfect binding, at least not to my standards. I could not have entered it in competition. So back to the Pfaff with me!
Old 03-08-2013, 01:04 AM

Stop your stitch 1/4 " from your corner, tie a note cute your thread. Start your corner fold hold it with a pin. Put it under your machine stitch from the end,and do your 1/4". Good Luck Take a strip of fabric and play your get it.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by WTxRed View Post
I think we should form a Sisterhood of the MalFormed Binders lol
I could be a charter member of that group!
Old 03-08-2013, 04:32 AM

are you stopping a little before whatever seam you are using?...I use a 3/8 of an inch seam, but stop 1/2 inch before reaching the end of my corner...jenni, with the Missouri Quilt co has an excellent video
Old 03-11-2013, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by EllieGirl View Post
I watch videos, follow directions, and my corners always look like something is bunched up. What am I doing wrong??
Binding is an art and so important so I can understand your frustrations. I teach patchwork and the one thing that I am strict about is binding as it finishes, frames and holds the quilt together. You will get lots of useful advice her from the wonderful ladies but I learnt my way many years ago from the Kaye Wood site, she now has some really good YouTube videos so explore, here is one to start you off with. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf7Mm_mkbCc
Old 04-14-2013, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Z View Post
Take a look at these Sharon chamber tutorials on binding using Elmer's School Glue. The one on mitering corners really helped me. Don't let the glue scare you. Try a mini quilt so that you can get the hang of it. You don't have to have the special tip. You partially open the regular bottle tip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PE0Yq9iGlc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3vHI7rgZpw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W--xgi4nux8
these videos are great, thank you!
Old 04-14-2013, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
if you are using a 1/4" seam to attach the binding to the first side- when nearing a corner stop- place a dot (pencil works) 1/4" from the corner on the binding fabric- then stitch right to that dot- stop- raise the pressure foot (with the needle down) turn the quilt so you can stitch a diagonal line off the quilt/binding...stop, cut threads, remove quilt. fold binding fabric straight up- then back down-lining up the raw edges again- start sewing the second side-starting at the 1/4" dot...continue around the quilt stopping & folding each corner-
now- when you fold the binding to the other side to stitch down when you reach a corner fold one side straight - then fold the second side forming your miter.]
try it on a small practice piece (like a pot holder) to get the hang of it
Ditto...Great explanation of how to get perfect corners!
Old 04-14-2013, 02:41 PM

Here is the video that I watched to learn how to bind. She has a camera over her shoulder,
so you can see how she does it.

http://www.ehow.com/video_4433312_at...ing-quilt.html

Hope this helps.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:48 AM

I have figured out sewing the binding down, pressing, and turning corners, but I would like to know/see how to start & finish the binding with a clean edge/seam. I don't think I have seen that in any of the directions I have read. Thanks to all you great quilters for your help.