Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I could use a little help

Blog Entries
    I am the workshop chairman for our guild this year. In January each year we do mini workshops instead of having a national speaker. You can never predict the crazy winters in Kansas. I need ideas for 4-5 mini workshops to be presented in 1-1 1/2 hours. Do you have an idea I could use. I'll need to find these people to present the workshops too so I need to get a move on in order to get this done. Thanks

I've never been to a workshop so don't know much about it but maybe on one PPing, applique, other techniques. Or do a purse or tote such a bow tuck. If I had time I would survey members of the guild and see what they are interested in.

Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!
    I sure could have used a workshop when making an Amy Butler purse for my daughter. It was my first purse and gave me a run for my money.

Mug rugs might be easy or mini wallet. Just a thought.

Blog Entries
    Curious - are these all at the same meeting or one meeting after another?

I would have one workshop on what to do with scraps that were not the usual ideas, or else ways to use one block by itself, i.e., the background of a clock, a pillow, a kindle cover, toilet seat cover, etc. Making a long strip of 2 1/2" strips about 8 inches wide several feet long from scraps. Then using this to make either borders as you need it or to make bands to finish off pillowcases - the idea being to just keep adding on to the long strip on one end, cutting off from it on the other end as you use it up. Fold it in half for pillowcases, trim as needed for borders.

I would really enjoy an ideas workshop like that.

Super Member just_the_scraps_m'am's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    don't forget the label!
    & why it is so important!

string/strip quilts

embellishments

.....way too many to list!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg
    I am the workshop chairman for our guild this year. In January each year we do mini workshops instead of having a national speaker. You can never predict the crazy winters in Kansas. I need ideas for 4-5 mini workshops to be presented in 1-1 1/2 hours. Do you have an idea I could use. I'll need to find these people to present the workshops too so I need to get a move on in order to get this done. Thanks
    Are these working/sewing workshops? 1 hour - 1 1/2 is not a lot of time. Or are they more of a 'lecture' workshops?

Our guild does this every year. Colorado has unpredictable winter weather also. We get volunteers from the membership. Ask those in the group who are good at a particular technique (applique, cutting diamonds, embroidery for crazy quilting, etc.) or fun and easy quilt to do the workshops.

I have a digital camera and don't know how to use it. I would LOVE a workshop on pictures and how to post them.
    Another thing is how to go from a patch and make the pattern or changing the size of the patch. Good luck :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

Blog Entries
    how about something with 10-min blocks

Pillowcases could be a mini workshop. If you go to
    http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/millio...ses/index.html
    you will find several ways to make pillowcases, simple to fancy. They make great little gifts for anyone and also can be donated to local groups like hospitals, domestic violence, etc.

Rotary cutter safety and how to use a particular ruler or rulers could be all one workshop.

Color theory and ways: coordinating, contrasting, value, etc.

Power Poster
    I really like the tutorial that Charismah put on the board. It is called "Quick Machine Binding With Flange". It gives a professional machine binding to my quilts and really helps when I want a sturdy (sturdier than hand sewn) binding on a quilt. I also like the little triangle thread catchers that someone showed on QB. Check and see if that has a tutorial. The Poinsettia tablerunner tutorial is nice and I'm going to do one for the holidays. Since your program is in January you could easily change the look. It could be green and white for a daisy or green and gold for Black eyed Susans with black buttons in the center.

Blog Entries
    As someone else already stated, I would ask the group what they would like to learn/do.

In January our guild uses one meeting where members volunteer to demo a certain technique. Other members each stay at a station for approx. 15 minutes & then move on to see a new mini-demo. In the past some members have shown how to use a certain ruler; how to make a finger pincushion; how to join binding ends; how to make a quilting journal; how to clean your rotary cutter; how to join an 8 pointed star; just a few things I can remember at the moment.

How is make a particular block----ideas for strip cutting, putting it together, with a great hand-out to take home.

Demonstration of needle turn applique---with mini practice pieces everyone could try ideas on the spot

How to miter corners of quilts--now that's one I'm interested in!

Binding--all the tricks that make it professional looking, this one also with a hand-out to take home

Think about the really talented members of your Guild who have specific skills they could teach.....

Blog Entries
    How about having a demo on the different ways of making flying geese?

Have a demo on how to use the Lil Twister ruler.

My quilting group did both of these and I was so thankful to learn more about them both.

I think these are GREAT ideas! I've done mini works shops on home dyeing (I believe the last time I taught this I used the cheap dollar store tupperware type containers and ritz dye)

Maybe think outside of the actual quilting like someone above mentioned learning how to take pictures etc.

I also think some easy projects for orphan quilt squares (use them in pot holders, pockets for bags etc)

Maybe how to deconstruct a garment to obtain quilting fabric?

How about one on D9Ps and D4Ps? You could show all the different patterns you can come up with.

I have a Abbey Lane pin cushion and scrap bag pattern I want to do and would love a workshop to do it in whereI would get help if I needed it. ( I love it but it frightens me to tackle it so it just sits.)

* perhaps one workshop can be a UFO session. Maybe even swap meet of pieces parts and see what results occur by the end of 1 1/2 hours.
    * pin cushions - everyone needs one or make as gift/stocking stuffers, etc.
    * investigate "Home of the Brave" quilt project IN YOUR STATE... we cut appropriate fabrics and make kits to take home and complete..
    Good luck.

I have a Abbey Lane pin cushion and scrap bag pattern I want to do and would love a workshop to do it in whereI would get help if I needed it. ( I love it but it frightens me to tackle it so it just sits.) Also I have just ordered a pattern to make a tool caddy out of a mug. I don't even know what it looks like but posted on FB that I was getting rid of a cabinet full of mugs and a quilt shop on my FB said they had this pattern. I think it would make a fun workshop.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg
    Quilt as you go workshop using scraps.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast