Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I could use some help here. >

I could use some help here.

I could use some help here.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:15 PM

I just watched a video on U-tube, and it shows to stitch exactly in the seam and gently pull the fabric on both sides. So you can actuall see the seam and stitch directly on it. Now I finally understand that part.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:16 PM

You are correct. Mine has the bar on the right. I will have to see if it gives an accurate 1/4" seam. Thanks for your help.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:18 PM

The video I watched says to stitch exactly on the seam, while gently pulling the fabric to expose the seam. I really do appreciate all of you for your replies, thanks so much
Old 07-31-2011, 08:25 PM

The 6600 comes with a 1/4" foot, a 1/4" dual feed foot and a SID dual feed foot. It has a bar in the middle of the foot. I tried it but wasn't fussed, I think I do it better on my own.
Now having said all that, you should check which feet you have because last night there was someone who had been given an embroidery foot instead of a darning foot for FMQ. Check them all off against your manual.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by ploverwi2
I have a Janome 6600P, and I have the dual feed foot. I also have what I thought is a stitch in the ditch foot. It looks just like the dual feed foot, but it has the piece of metal under it that I think is supposed to ride on the seam. However, if I put it onto the seam, then the needle hits far away from the ditch. What am I not understanding? Does anyone else have a SITD foot?
I have a Janome MC4000 which has as one of it's standard feet (G). I call it my edge stitcher. It has the piece of metal under it as you describe (the piece is in the middle of the foot as opposed to the metal guide of the quarter inch foot which is on the right side of the foot). I use the edge stitcher to do clean finishes (in garment construction, we turn under a quarter inch or less and stitch right on the edge) or any other types of stitching which requires following an edge and stitching very straight. I use is as a SID foot. I am not successful in stitching directly on the seam line so I do follow the stitch as close as I can. Glad to learn that this is better than following the seam.
From Simply Quilts, I learned to follow along the seam, I set my zigzag to the narrowest amount of zigging and zagging in the width of the stitch. They called it the wobble stitch. I've used it on several occasions and liked the look.

So this means that I can lose the guilt of not being able to follow the seam in SID. This board and the people on it are the BOMB. :thumbup:
Old 08-29-2011, 09:43 PM

Thanks for all of the helpful information. You are all correct, and I do have all three of the feet you have mentioned. It doesn't sound like any of you have really had a good experience with the stitch in the ditch foot. I think I will be better off just doing it the regular way. Thanks to all of you once again for taking the time to reply.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by ploverwi2
You are correct. Mine has the bar on the right. I will have to see if it gives an accurate 1/4" seam. Thanks for your help.
I have the same machine and feet. If you use the 1/4" dual feed foot straight out of the package - you will not get a 1/4" seam.
You need to move your needle position to 5.5 (moves the needle over). The packaging that came with the foot should tell you how to set it up.