Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I did the dreaded, didn't wash fabric >

I did the dreaded, didn't wash fabric

I did the dreaded, didn't wash fabric

Old 05-28-2011, 07:55 AM

Help! Why do I do such stupid things? I made a quilt with machine embroidery and it took 3 1/2 hours to do each block. I was so excited to get on with the quilt that I didn't even think about washing my fabric. The fabric is navy blue...duh! Anyway, I took it to the quilter and I don't know if the fabric bled or the blue is showing through the white border. Anyway, I do see some blue on my borders. Do you think color catcher would help the color from bleeding when I wash it? Oh my, what a dilema. It is so pretty and I don't want to make it again. When I get the binding on I will post a picture on here if I can figure it out.

Please tell me what you think I can do.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:57 AM
Power Poster

It cannot hurt to toss a color catcher or two in the wash :D:D:D
Old 05-28-2011, 08:11 AM

I never wash..but then again I always use the color catchers. Sorry you had a problem and I hope you find a fix.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:43 AM
Power Poster

Don't know why it would bleed after long arming unless she used water soluble markers & it bled when she spritzed it to remove her markings. If you do wash it and it looks like the color catchers didn't catch the bleeding color, DO NOT DRY it. There's lots of suggestions on this board, but if you dry it, it's usually set.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:48 AM

Well, I always wash my fabrics first, but I think you may have a salvageable piece here. First things first: when you get the binding completed, look it over really well and make sure to note all the spots you are seeing. I would recommend washing in a large bathtub if you can, as the less "scrunching" of the fabrics you can accomplish, the better luck you may have in avoiding any further dye transfer.

Use COLD WATER, it should help to set the color better.

By all means, toss a color catcher in with it; it may help.

Whenever I wash my fabrics, especially those with a very deep, intense or strong color, I throw in a couple handfuls of kosher salt and at least a cup or so of vinegar. This helps to "set" the dyes. You may be able to do that here, too.

Finally, once the piece is washed, go over it with a fine-tooth comb and see if there are any spots where the dye has bled and left it's mark. If that is the case, you may be able to get at it with some peroxide on a cotton swab with some success.

I hope this helps your situation. Please let us know what you tried and your ultimate success! Good Luck.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:15 AM
Power Poster

so sorry to hear of your dilemma :(
Old 05-28-2011, 10:18 AM
Power Poster

If you do wash, I wouldn't rely on color catchers alone. I would wash in Synthrapol, which is designed to suspend unset dye particles in the water so they can be washed away (instead of settling into other fabrics). I would use a top loading washing machine or else the *large* front-loader at a laundromat, as you want to have lots of water for unset dye particles to disperse into and you want to keep the quilt moving so the blue does not sit too long on anything else.

I agree with not drying the quilt if you see any bleeding. In that case, I would wash it again in Synthrapol. If there are bleeds, it can take several washings in Synthrapol to get them all out.

Do you have some scraps of the blue? I would test it to see how much it bleeds. Drop a piece into a glass of water and leave for a couple of hours. Rub the wet fabric against the white fabric to see if dye transfers.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
If you do wash, I wouldn't rely on color catchers alone. I would wash in Synthrapol, which is designed to suspend unset dye particles in the water so they can be washed away (instead of settling into other fabrics). I would use a top loading washing machine or else the *large* front-loader at a laundromat, as you want to have lots of water for unset dye particles to disperse into and you want to keep the quilt moving so the blue does not sit too long on anything else.

I agree with not drying the quilt if you see any bleeding. In that case, I would wash it again in Synthrapol. If there are bleeds, it can take several washings in Synthrapol to get them all out.

Do you have some scraps of the blue? I would test it to see how much it bleeds. Drop a piece into a glass of water and leave for a couple of hours. Rub the wet fabric against the white fabric to see if dye transfers.
Oh you ladies are so wonderful. I'm so happy to have found you. Where can you buy Synthrapol Prism?
Old 05-28-2011, 02:33 PM

^^^Dharma Trading has it, but if you have a local art store (not michaels...like a REAL art store with higher-end products) they should have it.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:11 PM
Power Poster

Amazon carries Synthrapol. Also try calling local quilt shops; more and more of them are carrying Synthrapol.

Correction: Amazon lists Synthrapol from other sellers. Here is a link to the large size on Amazon (but would be cheaper to buy locally to avoid shipping):
http://www.amazon.com/Synthrapol-16-...dp/B001PUXELG/