Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I don'[t know what you call them! >

I don'[t know what you call them!

I don'[t know what you call them!

Old 09-29-2009, 02:24 AM

Well, I did some more checking and with the help of a lot of interested people, we now know it is a Beard Guard, Whisker Guard or Chin Guard, all of which are a heckuva lot more better named than Drool Rag! So, my next quilt will have a Chin Guard on it. I think I will use natural muslin, make two sets and go from there.

After I got a name for it, I googled it and there is all kinds of information on it. I am still so God-thankful that I can still learn something that is historical and still practical for today. Who would have ever thunk it? A piece of material added on to the top and bottom of a quilt that will protect the quilt itself. I found it most interesting how people back in the "olden days" were so much smarter and inventive with practical things than we are today. In a throw-away society as we live in now, what a nice "green" idea to save something precious like a quilt and keep it clean. I am wondering now if one could use their stash and make a colorful chin guard. Even though, technically, no one will see it except the people who are using the quilt, it is still using up what we probably would have thrown out or given away or something.

I have a lot of people I can tell this bit of info to and thanks to all of you that helped, we have a legitimate reason to add this to our quilt.

Thanks again! Edie
Old 09-29-2009, 04:49 AM

Ok so now I have a question. I made my first quilt. White on white out of muslin. It has discolored from not having a chin guard. i have it put away. How do I get off the discoloration without ruiening the quilt?
Old 09-29-2009, 05:21 AM
Banned

I dont know what they are called,but I know a gal that makes a matching pillow cover type thing for her quilts,,,instead of tucking the top under the pillows she leaves the quilt flat and lays the matching piece over the pillows. (it looks like a wide table runner in the same pattern as the quitlt) They look really nice!
Old 09-29-2009, 05:21 AM

I was recently looking through a needlework catalog (for counted cross stitch) and they had a product for taking the "yellow" out of antique linens.. the magazine was at work, so I can't just look it up.. I'll try to remember and get the name of the catalog, etc tonight. I know they had a website.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:58 AM

I don't know if this will help, but the first nine quilts I made were made out of muslin, except for the sashing, border, backing and binding. I had embroidered on the muslin. I used Warm and Natural batting. I throw them in the washer, hang them on the line and they are good to go! I will use a little Shout on a spot and it comes out! My next quilt is white on ecru with triangles of dark and light fabric (Floating Stars Scrappy Quilt) To be honest, I haven't had any problems with the washing or anything. Good luck to you. Edie
Old 09-29-2009, 08:03 PM

This reminds me of something my great grandmother told me. When she was young everyone wore long dresses and skirts that had to be washed and ironed and you can imagine how quickly the hems of the skirts got dirty. She said they took a strip of fabric and stitched it to the hem of the skirt, wrapping it around to the inside and stitching it down on the inside as well. Then instead of washing the entire garment they would remove and wash the strip and then replace it.

The Whisker Guard sounds like the same idea. When I think how much I dislike doing laundry now, I can't imagine having to launder long dresses, hang them out to dry, starch and iron them. I might not like having to redo the cloth cover on the edge of the skirt either, but it certainly sounds easier. :D
Old 09-29-2009, 08:11 PM
Power Poster

My mom also mentioned the Whisker Guard for quits. Seems like an excellent idea.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:43 AM

It would be like an antemacassr on a chair or couch to keep hair oil from staining the fabric.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:21 PM

The Amish used this type of cover years ago to protect the top of the quilt.
It's called a beard cover. You don't see them being used much any more.
Ann Entz from Oklahoma
Old 10-01-2009, 07:32 PM
GMA

very interesting topic but off topic go vikes and go farve and that's from a packer person but I love our Brett