Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I don'[t know what you call them! >

I don'[t know what you call them!

I don'[t know what you call them!

Old 02-17-2011, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by TanyaLynn
My mother had these on all her quilts and her blankets but not her bedspreads. They were washed, starched, ironed and put back on as soon as they became dirty, but the quilt or blanket stayed clean. She bought the material for the protector to match either the quilt or the decoration in the room because back then all the sheets were white and were ironed every time they were washed. Washed on Monday, Ironed on Tuesday. Starched on Tuesday, ironed on Wednesday. Cleaned house on Thursday. In between times she made everyone's clothes, did most of the yard work, went to church everytime they opened the doors. And had a very active social life. No clothes dryer, no dishwasher, no microwave, no TV - but you really got the news off of the party line telephone!
what a wonderful anecdote fr another time. but...w/no tv...what on earth did she watch in evening after the youngin's down for night...while she sat and stitched?
Old 02-17-2011, 09:24 AM

She didn't sew at night. That was the time she spent with my father. They played cards, listened to records, talked, or went out. They only had 2 children 7 years apart so they had no babysitting problems after I was old enough to remember these things. They went to a lot of movies, had lots of friends over, went to friends' homes. Evenings were for fun.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by TanyaLynn
She didn't sew at night. That was the time she spent with my father. They played cards, listened to records, talked, or went out. They only had 2 children 7 years apart so they had no babysitting problems after I was old enough to remember these things. They went to a lot of movies, had lots of friends over, went to friends' homes. Evenings were for fun.
wow...what a special set of memories...and what a wonderful heritage for learning how to 'relate' and 'enjoy' our time with significant other. you lucky lady you.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:01 AM

my mother and all our neighbors used 'quilt covers' that fit like a pillowcase and zippered at the bottom. they were changed weekly with the sheet sets and used to keep the utility quilts clean and longer lasting and also to match up with the colors of the room. they were washed and ironed and they were folded for the next week's rotation. my brother had blue stripes and solid green ones, my sister and i had pink and yellow ones with tiny rosebuds.