Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I don't get what the 'reciept' is for when making string quilts >

I don't get what the 'reciept' is for when making string quilts

I don't get what the 'reciept' is for when making string quilts

Old 01-18-2013, 08:25 PM

Quiltville.com with Bonnie Hunter has used adding machine tape to use up all those crumbs. It helps to stablize while using all those little pieces. When she is done she flips it over and cuts to size. The adding machine tape just give her a size to shoot for.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:20 PM

I have discovered that the used fabric softener sheets work really great for that foundation piece....the quilt doesnt get heavy like when you use fabric for the foundation...and it smells good too.....you dont have to remove anything the way you do with paper..it washes just fine.....and you can trim it to whatever size you need.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:22 PM

So beautiful! I like the second one particularly, but they are all lovely. Nice pic of your super straight scrappy strips too!
Originally Posted by huntannette View Post
I use adding machine paper....it is easier to sew small strips together....you just have to cut the sides even when you have a whole roll finished ...got the idea on th QB...i`ve done quite a few quilts this way...
Old 01-19-2013, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
. However I do like the idea of using the receipts for a foundation, puts them to good use other than reminding you of what the groceries cost these days. Some of the ones I get are two feet long with all the extras they put on them.
Oh my goodness! Please don't use your grocery receipts for foundations. Have you ever left one lay on the counter and it got wet? That ink is very hard to get off the counter. Just think what it would do to your quilt when it is washed. You don't want ink in your quilt.[/QUOTE]
The paper is removed after piecing.....so won't be affected by washing!!
Old 01-19-2013, 11:09 AM

I definately have to try this!! I have so many scraps and keep saying that "one day" I will try a scrap quilt...this sounds like it can be done while doing something else! I like the idea of having two quilts done at once!
Old 01-19-2013, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by CoventryUK View Post
Please don't use your grocery receipts for foundations. Have you ever left one lay on the counter and it got wet? That ink is very hard to get off the counter.

Well, most receipts nowadays are thermal, which means they turn black when you iron them. Yet another reason to stick with the adding machine tape.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:20 PM

Everyone has a fave way to do foundation piecing. My least fave is using any type of paper that needs to be removed. Some people leave it on but when you wash it, it gets kinda balled up and noisy even. It was so messy to rip out paper and it made some of the stitches come loose. Once was enough, now I use a fabric foundation.

My fave way is to use the most inexpensive muslin I can find and on sale OR I've used some thin ugly fabric from my stash (I would not use it for a quilt top or backing) and stitch the strings etc to the wrong side, so it is least likely to show thru to light colored fabrics.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:48 PM

I use adding machine paper....it is easier to sew small strips together....you just have to cut the sides even when you have a whole roll finished ...got the idea on th QB...i`ve done quite a few quilts this way...
You really did make some very nice scrappies! I have to keep looking back and admiring, especially the first and third ones. thanks for sharing.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:52 PM

thank you so much....i know some people don`t like tearing the paper after, but I don`t mind...i do it as I sew....and so the stiches don`t pull out I backstitch everytime I start or stop.....i know....i`m a bit crazy...but it works for me...lol
Originally Posted by love to sew View Post
You really did make some very nice scrappies! I have to keep looking back and admiring, especially the first and third ones. thanks for sharing.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:56 PM
Power Poster

thank you so much....i know some people don`t like tearing the paper after, but I don`t mind...i do it as I sew....and so the stiches don`t pull out I backstitch everytime I start or stop.....i know....i`m a bit crazy...but it works for me...lol
HuntAnnette ... I haven't tried your adding machine paper method ... though when I do PPing, I shorten my stitches right up, and the paper comes off easily .......... and no backstitching!