Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I finally have the money for a new embroidery sewing machine >

I finally have the money for a new embroidery sewing machine

I finally have the money for a new embroidery sewing machine

Old 06-26-2011, 03:59 PM

It's too bad you aren't in Northern IL - I am selling my Janome 10001 for $1800 with 3D Embroidery Studio, the extension table, and a ton of floppy disks (really - hundreds of disks!)The machine takes the older 256mb Compact Flash, but your designs are usually on the computer anyway. You just need a memory card reader that allows CF. I am selling it only because I just don't need 2 embroidery machines taking up space. The Janome was great to take to class since you don't have a big bulky embroidery attachment to haul!

I started with the Babylock Ellure Plus because I wanted usb capable. I got a used Babylock Ellegante and really could tell the difference from the bottom line embroidery machine and the more expensive model.

I wanted a machine to cut jump threads, combine designs and text, a thumb drive, color screen, and a bigger hoop than the 5 x 7. The Ellegante is great, just older! Find out what you want from the embroidery machine first, and again find a dealer you can trust.

I am glad others have mentioned about the additional cost involved - wow! First thread and stabilizers, designs of course, and some of those designs take an hour to finish with 20 changes of thread!

I just gave my nephew a small quilt with machine embroidered nautical applique(he is in the navy, and another to my sister with a large garden gate embroidery design in the center. (The Ellegante also does well with quilting).

Best wishes on your search.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:49 AM

I started out with a Janome 350E and loved it but wanted to upgrade. Now I have a Janome 11000 MC and it's wonderful. Both easy to use. My friend has had 3 Brothers and she has had each of them in the shop numberous times. Never had my 350E in the shop other than annual cleaning and when I bumped my hoop with my chair (not something you want to do LOL) and it was used like a commericial machine. My 11000 MC is like a cadillac to me and is well worth it's money. Every time my friend has got to take her Brother to the shop for repair I think how grateful I am because my machines have pretty much been worry free.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:33 PM

I have two Brother ULT's 2100 and a 2300. They use a floppy disk and also a card. I had the brother 150 for a long time but wanted to go up to a larger embr. size. so mine does a 4x4, 5x7 and 6x10. When you start to purchase a machine think ahead for the future because they do last a long time.
with the three sizes of embr. designs you can do a lot of things with it. I really like mine I purchased mine used. One from a Brother dealer and the other one from an person.
Good Luck
Old 06-27-2011, 06:48 PM

I was a Viking girl through and through. One of my machines that I still use quite often is 15 year old Viking...

That is until I got a used Babylock Ellegante. Didn't think I'd be but I'm in love. I won't look back now. It's an embroidery work horse and sews like a dream. I have family that have the Brother Quattro which is the same machine with minor changes. They really enjoy that as well.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:03 PM

Have a brother innovis 1200 and love it, also bought a brother serger because of the embroidery machine it does a great job. Also make sure the dealer is customer oriented. My dealer is great its usually operator error when I've had to bring it in and he's never charged me.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:47 PM

I love my Bernina.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:12 PM

my sister and i both bought the brother pe770 and love it. i am also using the free download Design era software. It was difficult to figure out at first but I am finally getting the hang of the software. it does fine. the machine does beautiful work and is easy to use. the automatic needle threader fell off but it is easy to thread with out it.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by Snorky Lvs2Quilt
I just purchased a Brother Innov-Is 1500D and I absolutely love it! It can do everything but the dishes....guess you can't have everything. LOL. I really looked around and asked around and this is the one that was right for me. I have little grandchildren and more on the way so I wanted one that is licensed to do Disney products. So if you want to do any Disney characters, etc., then you will need a Brother which is the only machine that is licensed by Disney. Disney products will not work on any other embroidery machine. Good luck. I haven't been able to play with mine as much as I have wanted due to lots of out of town company then I got pretty sick so after the 4th of July I plan on planting myself in front of my machine and watch it embroider tons of beautiful designs. Guess I will be keeping the thread companies in business for a while. hehe
I also have a Brother1500D I also have 2 Janomes which I love one is 6600P and a small cheaper one for workshops.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:38 AM

I love my bernina sewing and embroider machine