Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Need help please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

I recently completed my first real quilt, a 124x124 made with deer panels, 9- patch blocks and flying geese down all sides
    It is suppose to fit a california king bed, anyway, I presently live in Indiana, but am moving back to florida. I went to fl. for a month. While I was there I had a very recommended quilter do my quilt. She said she could do it and quoted me a price. She had some problems and called to say she couldnot do it all. So center is done and 2 of the 4 sides. my problem is I have never even tried to quilt, let alone try to make leaf patterns, free handed. Also the flying geese need something. I dont know whether to sew them down or not. I cannot afford to pay someone to quilt, the lady ended up charging $50.00 more,
    so any suggestions on how to finish this will be appreciated.
    Thanks Lindav

Oh my goodness what a mess!! I wonder why she only half completed the quilt? That seems a bit odd. I have no suggestions unfortunately other than trying to find someone else to complete it, but I wish you all the best and I am so sorry this happened to you!!

Rachel

A price quote is a price quote. She needs to "bite the bullet" and finish the project!

I'm not understanding why you had to pay $50.00 more for a quilt that she had not finished the quilting. I don't think you would be able to finish quilting a quilt that size on your own. It is too big to feed through the throat of a regular sewing machine & it sounds like you are not a long arm quilter yourself.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I'm confused. It's half done and you had to pay her, and even pay extra???

What was the problem. Did she have trouble with her machine? What was the reason for even charging you full price, let alone an extra $50? The quilt it to big for you to do on your own. You could do it by hand, but only if you want to have it finished in 4-5 years. If you paid her by check, I would put a stop payment on it right away.

I was upset too. But what can you do. Bite the bullet and go on. I am going to try it on my machine after I find a stencil of a leaf or trace one.

Thanks

I am so sorry that happened to you. I don't know what you can do to fix it. It seems to me that she should bite the bullet and finish your quilt. A deal is a deal. I don't understand why you had to pay extra for something that is only partly done. Hope you can get it fixed.
    Sue

Apparently it was to big for her long arm. She measured it at 118x118 then when she got it on her machine it was 124x124 (what I had told her it was)And I think she charged the extra amount for going aroun the squares the flying geese were in. the rest of the quilt has leaves and random stitches. I guess I will practice all this week and try to get er done.

Thanks for all your concern and remarks.

linda

I want to see it when you are finished! :)

I am goinh to try to post it when I get it done, then you will be able to see i am a newbie.

I think I would try and find someone else. That is an awful big quilt for you to try to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindach
    I was upset too. But what can you do. Bite the bullet and go on. I am going to try it on my machine after I find a stencil of a leaf or trace one.

Thanks
    If she couldn't do it on her LA I think you'll have a heck of a time doing it on your machine. Do you have any quilting buddies? Perhaps they would get together with you and help you hand quilt like in the 'good old days' Good luck.

Wow! This is terrible! I can't wait to see it. I'm so sorry that this lady did this to you. I wish you luck getting it completed.

Wait a minute, she charged you $50 more than she quoted and she didn't finish the quilt? I certainly wouldn't have paid her until the quilt was done, and then I wouldn't have paid her the extra $50. She gave you a quote, and that's only what you should have to pay, unless you had requested additional quilting or something. She should have finished the quilting and stood by her quote. I wish I had a solution to your problem though. Hopefully, someone on board will have an answer for you.

I think finishing it yourself sounds great. It's a big quilt, but just worry about the part in front of your needle. You might want to make sure you have something to support the weight of the quilt behind your machine and off to the left side, like a card table or ironing board.

I read a blog by a machine quilter named Debby Brown. She's been featuring some videos on simple fill designs - here's the link: http://higheredhands.blogspot.com/

Just remember - you CAN do this!

Janet

Janet, thanks for the link!! I am embarking on machine quilting and need as many visuals as possible.

You're welcome! She uses a Handiquilter a lot, but the current series, she's using a Janome 6600. It looks so easy when she does it. :)

Janet

Blog Entries
    Hmm. I agree with most folks. Although it sounds like she is an experienced long arm quilter, she probably didn't take into account the fact that the machine doesn't really go to the edges of the frame. I have a 120" frame, but can really only quilt about 108-110". The quilt probably fit her frame, but she couldn't do the edges. She should have turned the quilt to do the other 2 sides and NOT have charged you extra!!

Power Poster
    Oh my goodness!!! What a terrible thing to happen. If you are no confidant on the FMQ part, maybe you can put on a walking foot and stitch in the ditch on the straight parts first? Sort of get a feel for working with that large a quilt. Remember the saying, "How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time." Good Luck!

I don't want to dish anyone, but I can't imagine not finishing a job, much less charging for it! I sure wasn't raised that way. She sounds VERY unprofessional!!!!!!!

Thanks for the link, I will look at it .

Power Poster
    This whole thing definitely sounds like a " What the ^&&*( ?"

What does the quilting look like so far that this ** entity ** did?

Is it decent?

I think I would try to find another longarmer with quilt in arms (or at least pictures) that would be able to finish it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pocoellie
    Wait a minute, she charged you $50 more than she quoted and she didn't finish the quilt? I certainly wouldn't have paid her until the quilt was done, and then I wouldn't have paid her the extra $50. She gave you a quote, and that's only what you should have to pay, unless you had requested additional quilting or something. She should have finished the quilting and stood by her quote. I wish I had a solution to your problem though. Hopefully, someone on board will have an answer for you.
    If any professional gives me a quote for the job, I would expect them to complete the job at the price they gave me. If she measured incorrectly, that is her error and she has to make it right. What a horrible experience for you.

Did she do some of the borders? you can get a piece of plexi-glass or clear plastic trace what she has done and use that to create a template so that what you do is the same.

Other than that She should have told you before she started quilting it that she wouldn't have been able to complete it and that there would be an additional charge. She would have known from the time she started adding the quilt to the rack.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast