Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I got an email from LQS >

I got an email from LQS

I got an email from LQS

Old 04-28-2023, 04:29 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
My Sis in law is a bird watcher . she has a list and she travels many miles to see one bird. She takes it very seriously. She has expensive cameras, lens, and high Tec binoculars. She goes to meetings. She spends a lot!
The moment after I replied I thought about the cameras............LOL
Old 04-28-2023, 09:07 AM

Been shopping my stash mostly. I don't want my LQS to go out of business, so whenever I go there, no matter what for, I always try to buy something. Since I like to make scrappy quilts, the only new to me fabrics I buy anymore are in the remnants bins, so whenever I go there I take a list of colors I need to replenish in my stash and then go through the remnants bins to find what I need. If I buy wide backs, they are also from the remnants bins. I did buy some new grunge yardage a couple of months ago because I needed enough of a single thing for a border and didn't have anything in stash that would work, but only bought enough for the border. I used to buy a lot on-line, but with the exception of Marshal Dry Goods bundles, even most of the on-line fabric stores have gone way up in price and my stash storage isn't large enough to accommodate a Marshal dry goods bundle LOL.

Rob
Old 04-28-2023, 10:33 AM
Power Poster

I go to Marshall's Dry Good warehouse a lot. I can name brand fabric like Hoffman, Riley Blake, Timeless Treasures, Michael Miller, Robert Kaufman, Bali, Free Spirit, and any other big name brands except Moda for $6.99 a yard or less if Mr. Marshall in in store and decides hey today lets have a sale or says hey fill up this $1 yard bin. They wrap their own bolts so always some smudges on fabric that goes right in the $1 a yard bin. Some have a flaw that is so easy to cut around. Marshall's is a fabric distributor so shops buy the bolt of name brands at their discount. Anyone can buy bolts of MDG fabric. The retail side has yardage for sale. Flat folds, fat quarters, panels, notions, ribbons, Cheater cloth, all Pellon products and muslin. Not much thread though. I'm planning a trip there next week. It's about 1 1/2 from me. Makes a great day outing. When they do get in Tula PInk or Kaffe Fassett it doesn't last but a few hours and it's all gone. I think the locals call everyone in town. LOL Those two sale for $8.99 a yard last time I was lucky to find it there.

Last edited by Onebyone; 04-28-2023 at 10:42 AM.
Old 04-30-2023, 05:30 AM

It's all about priorities - some like to spend their money on going out often to eat and drink and don't think much about it. Some like to spend their money on hobbies which is where buying fabric would fall into. Just have to pick your priorities. I do some of each and that works for me.
Old 04-30-2023, 07:22 AM
Power Poster

I have paid more for fabric. In fact I bought four yards of Tilda Homegrown Gatherings in rust color. The one with the ladies. My three quilting buddies will each get their Christmas gift wrapped in this fabric. I will say the feel of this fabric lives up to the hype. of it.
Old 05-02-2023, 01:47 PM

The quilt store here has fabric for 17.99 a yard.
Old 05-03-2023, 05:51 PM

I'm afraid at those prices, we'll be seeing more LQS going out of business. I'm sure there are many who can afford it, but I think there are more than not that will be out priced.