Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I GOTTA NEW TOY!!! >

I GOTTA NEW TOY!!!

I GOTTA NEW TOY!!!

Old 05-15-2010, 09:03 AM

That is the best present you could ever get. I've a 1500 and I've enjoyed it so much! Stabilisers, there are so many try your machine shop that sells those machines they can be quite helpful especially if you're buying! I've never had any trouble with bleeding from rayon threads I find they are the best maderia is excellent. Enjoy your present you'll love playing with it
Old 05-15-2010, 09:04 AM

That is the best present you could ever get. I've a 1500 and I've enjoyed it so much! Stabilisers, there are so many try your machine shop that sells those machines they can be quite helpful especially if you're buying! I've never had any trouble with bleeding from rayon threads I find they are the best maderia is excellent. Enjoy your present you'll love playing with it
Old 05-15-2010, 01:39 PM

You will love this machine. I hope you have lots of fun!!!
Old 05-15-2010, 01:55 PM

Congrats and Happy Birthday!! your DH is a keeper for sure!
Old 05-15-2010, 03:07 PM

Congratulations. You are going to really enjoy your new machine. I have been embroidering (by machine) for 10 years and absolutely Love it.

I read where you were having trouble with the thread. FYI - some machines are finiky on what type of emboidery thread they "like". I mainly buy Robison Anton (Poly). I also find that the fatter the spool the nicer it unwinds in the machine (lots of the Sulky are the skinny spools - have lots of them, but like R/A much better, as well as Mettler, Iscacord and Maderia threads for Embroidery.

I also buy the pre-wound embroidery bobbins (by R/A). Your sewing store usually sells them in a tube/pkg. of 10.

I buy a lot of my thread from a place on the internet called Discount Embroidery. I used to buy my pre-wound bobbins from them 35 at a time, now I buy either 74 or 144. The price is way better than in the local stores. Same with the thread - they are less than in the store almost by half. And the shipping is free. If you have any questions they are great via the phone.

As far as stabilizers go, Sulky has a great book on that subject (you can get at JoAnn's with coupon). At my store it is with the thread section. Also, starting out you can use coupons (or notions on sale) to get Sulky stabilizers. I buy Florini, ABC, Jenny Haskins, and a few others from sewing store, especially if they have a coupon for notions; and I attend the ISS show as well as embroidery and a quilting show each year. If they are in your area absolutely attend - they are full of info, as well as great prices.

Also, if your machine came from a sewing store (not dept. store) they should give you a class(es) for free. If possile, defnitely take them. If they every have demos or classes they are great also.

Enjoy, it is so much fun. You can even incorporate your quilting with embroidery. I'm almost done making a large table topper via emb/quilt and hope to post a photo soon.

HAVE FUN and ENJOY

Karen
Old 05-15-2010, 04:56 PM

Brook one thing you should do and I have found its very helpfull. and that is get a small notebook. Everytime i do a design I put it in that notebook. I right down the colors I used names and number if possible. I also put what design I did and what I put it on and who it was for. Also if you move your maching from center to say 125 top or 250 down. That way if you ever have to do another one just like it you have all the information. The one time I didn't write it down I had a hard time making the design the correct size. I had done a retreat towel for someone and she ended up wanting a hand towel also. Same with enlarging the design. Have a lot of fun I have with mine.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:30 PM

Happy birthday How soon can you show us some pic.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:55 AM

That ia a good idea of keeping track of all your colors - I do the same. I always print out a copy of the design with thread colors for future reference also. I have a 3 ring binder I keep mine in, or else they end up all over the place and you can't find one when needed (ask me how I know). Since you may not have software you will want to do as the other lady suggested and write down the design and colors of thread.

Also, when just starting out try to do a design without a lot of color changes so you can get used to the process. If you pick one with way too many you may get frustrated (no instant gratification). One of my machines is a 6 needle and I still try to consolidate colors.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:56 AM
Power Poster

OH...Happy belated birthday, what a great new toy for you! You'll have a ball....you are soo talented that you deserved the new toy!
Old 05-16-2010, 10:22 AM
Google Goddess

awesome, birthday gift, congratulations!