Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I guess I knew I would do this sooner or later... >

I guess I knew I would do this sooner or later...

I guess I knew I would do this sooner or later...

Old 06-16-2010, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by ginnie6
I have developed a bad habit with my rotary cutter. I lock the blade open when I'm cutting and then lay it down. I knew sooner or later I would cut myself. I just did. I barely bumped it with my knuckle....doesn't help that its a new blade either. At least its not worse just a little knick. But I will not be leaving the blade open anymore!
I use the cutter that retracts the blade when I'm not cutting. I've never had an accident with it and I cut a LOT of fabric! You should invest in one!
Old 06-16-2010, 03:19 PM

I wish my accident had been as minor as yours. I really learn the hard way.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:02 PM

I did something TOTALLY STUPID the other day. I was cutting fabric with my rotary cutter, and set the cutter down on the table for a second to adjust the fabric. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw something about to fall off the table, and instinctively reached out to grab it. I guess it didn't dawn on me that it was the still-open rotary cutter. DUH. :roll:

Luckily the cuts weren't too bad (the blade wasn't brand new-whew!), but one of them sure bled a lot. I really had to hold pressure on it to get it to stop. :shock:

Then I put some stuff called "New Skin" on it. The "New Skin" forms a "liquid bandage" that helps close up the cut and protects it from bumps and dirt. If you don't already have some, I HIGHLY recommend it. It sometimes stings like crazy while it's drying, but after that, you're good to go. :thumbup:

(No affiliation with "New Skin"! ;-) )
Old 06-16-2010, 04:06 PM

Hope you didn't bleed on the fabric!
Old 06-16-2010, 05:28 PM

I too had an accident about 4 months ago. While cutting, my ruler slipped and off came a portion of the tip of my finger. Went to the ER, no stitches.....nothing to stitch, it was a clean cut. Now I have a real pointer! I am finally getting the feeling back. I read on this site (after my accident) to use the plastic drawer liners to keep the ruler from slipping, it was the best advice and really works!!!!
Old 06-16-2010, 07:25 PM

Years ago my best friend's little daughter touched the blade with her index finger and sliced it a little. Later, when her mother returned, I told her about it and accidentally "demonstrated" exactly how she did it and sliced MY finger. We still laugh about it years later.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:44 PM

I am so terrified of mine I keep it closed all the time. I have nightmares that my grandkids will somehow slip through the gate(which right now they can't)and the closed door and somehow get ahold of it. My gson loves to be back in my sewing room with me, so I keep it high out of sight, because he loves my scissors. Sorry you cut yourself. I stay away from knives too.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by ginnie6
I have developed a bad habit with my rotary cutter. I lock the blade open when I'm cutting and then lay it down. I knew sooner or later I would cut myself. I just did. I barely bumped it with my knuckle....doesn't help that its a new blade either. At least its not worse just a little knick. But I will not be leaving the blade open anymore!
I learned from watching Alex Anderson a long time ago about closing the blade. I worked to develop the habit of doing that & now it comes natural.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by brendadawg
I love my Olfa ergonomic cutter. Have to squeeze the handle when you cut and then when you stop, the blade retracts automatically. Plus it's much easier on my old wrists by the end of the day.
I started using this cutter after cutting my thumb to the bone requiring 13 stitches! And I love it...would not use anything else. I even lock it when not in use, just to be sure!
Old 06-17-2010, 01:12 AM

I asked for (and received) an Olfa rotary cutter that reveals the blade when you squeeze the handle. As soon as you let go, the blade goes back. I did this because I was always afraid I might cut myself. Now, I'm happy and I don't have to worry about it.