Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: I hate thimbles

I like the leather ones.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic
    Gaigai, for shame! You are sounding too much like the QP here! ;)
    No QP here, I just figured since I initially made that mistake and had to be corrected (by the person who taught me how to hand quilt) that I might not be the only person. But one question: If you wear a thimble on your index finger, how do you grab the needle to pull it through? 'Cause I can't see how to do it. Just asking.

Blog Entries
    I like thimbles and sometimes use them when doing hand applique and hand quilting.

The thimble from Connecting Threads is the best alternative for me. It's comfortable, adjustable, and not cumbersome/bothersome.

Here's the link to the thimble I normally use (if needed):
    http://www.connectingthreads.com/Ope...eThimbles.html

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Leota
    I prefer the leather quilter's thimble... Down side is that the leather wears through where the needle hits... :(
    I patch mine with a piece of a worn out thimble. Makes them last longer.:)

I got a black rubbery one at Sew Expo a couple of years ago. It's the only one that I like. I like the idea of using one of the beautiful silver ones like my grandma and mom used. But they don't fit right, my finger sweats and I have one of those handwriting bumps on my finger and so the thimble hurts.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gaigai
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
    I can't be the only one who hates thimbles. They are big, bulky and don't fit my fingers.

Any suggestions for a really good finger tip cover that fits well, protects my finger when hand sewing the bindings on quilts?

Thanks.
    For one thing, make sure you wearing the thimble on the correct finger--your middle finger, not your index finger. Some people try to wear them on the index finger, and that is incorrect. Thimbles are like any other piece of clothing--you need to chose the correct size. Try some on to get the correct fit. It should be snug, not loose, but not too tight.

I LOVE my Roxanne thimble. It has an open nail area, so it doesn't sweat, and you can wear it with long fingernails. After you get used to the weight, you forget it's there. But like I said, you have to have the correct size.

Then, wear it for a couple of hours without sewing, just to get used to the feel. After that you should be home free.
    they say to wear your thimble till you get use to it i did and i forgot i had it on when i was driving i finally notice it so i had to put it in my pocket when i went to get it i couldn't fine it then it drawn on me that i put it in my pocket

I hate them too. I have nails and normally just stack a couple of bandaids on top of each other.

Leather thimbles here... one longer one on my middle left and a short fingertip sized one on my left thumb.
    I never could get a metal/plastic hard type thimble to work for me!

I love my thimbles,Have had them for years my favorite belonged to my Grandma it has a dent on the tip and one side, you have to put it on just right or it will not fit but it feels like part of my hand. I find my self reching for it before I reach for the needle.

Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic
    For one thing, make sure you wearing the thimble on the correct finger--your middle finger, not your index finger. Some people try to wear them on the index finger, and that is incorrect.
    Gaigai, for shame! You are sounding too much like the QP here! ;)

It may not be correct but I use a thimble on my index finger. I know it is not supposed to be that way but it is what works for me! I take it off and slip it back on as I start every needle full of quilting stitches. I only use a thimble sporadically and only when hand quilting. I don't use a thimble when hand sewing on bindings or applique. I have one for my thumb too! Both of my thimbles are TJ Lane thimbles which are the same as Roxanne thimbles. Same shocking price tag too!
    I don't think you are alone, Alex Anderson uses her index finger (with a thimble) to hand quilt.

Banned
    I learned to use a thimble when I was in the Army (many years ago) when I had to sew patches on my uniforms. It works great to teach one the necessity of a thimble. I'm thinking about adding this as an exercise at the beginning of my hand quiting classes.

I can't be the only one who hates thimbles. They are big, bulky and don't fit my fingers.

Any suggestions for a really good finger tip cover that fits well, protects my finger when hand sewing the bindings on quilts?

Thanks.
    I hate them too & always seem to use the fingers without one even when I do use one. I've taken to using the rubber finger tips from office supply made to help turn pages easier. They fit better, seem to stop the needle from going through my finger & doesn't stop me from using the finger it's on.

Thanks.
    For one thing, make sure you wearing the thimble on the correct finger--your middle finger, not your index finger. Some people try to wear them on the index finger, and that is incorrect. Thimbles are like any other piece of clothing--you need to chose the correct size. Try some on to get the correct fit. It should be snug, not loose, but not too tight.

I LOVE my Roxanne thimble. It has an open nail area, so it doesn't sweat, and you can wear it with long fingernails. After you get used to the weight, you forget it's there. But like I said, you have to have the correct size.

Then, wear it for a couple of hours without sewing, just to get used to the feel. After that you should be home free.
    I agree....having a good fitting thimble makes all the difference in the world. I can't hand quilt without one. Until I got my silver fitted one I was putting silly putty in my other one to make it fit.

Not trying to be QP here either but I agree with everything gaigai says. Getting the proper fit for a thimble is the first key point. I use a Thimblelady thimble - like Roxanne's has an open end so nails go through and no sweating. And I agree that the middle finger is the best so you're not on and off constantly while having to pull the needle. I also find it much more comfortable and less painful to push with the pad of the finger versus the tip. At least this keeps one of my fingers from looking like hamburger cuz my 'under' fingers certainly do!

I LOVE the leather coin thimble by Clover. The dimpled metal "coin" makes it easier to push the needle compared to just leather. It's very comfortable and comes in several sizes. Over time it stretches a little and may be too loose. It costs about $11, but Joann's coupons make the price more reasonable.

All I can stand to use are the leather ones.

http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/Item--i-SM-400

These are what I use, can't stand thimbles either. I like them b/c they are reusable until the stickum wears out. They really work for me when I am doing my bindings.

I find them hard to work with as I can't "feel" the needle. What I usually do is paint a couple of layers of liquid bandage on the spot on my finger where the needle hits. It really seems to help. Good Luck!

Blog Entries
    I can only wear a thimble on my ring finger. It gets in my way otherwise.

I only use leather thimbles. I put a plastic one inside though because the needle does go through when they get worn.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I can only use leather thimbles but I love them. I go through a lot of them though.

I have fingers like sausages. It was a nightmare to find a thimble that fits comfortably - finally I found one but it rubbed too much along the top of my finger - so I took a pair of pliers and squeezed the thimble just a little bit, so now it is slightly oval, instead of completely round - and it is so comfortable that I could hand-quilt all day!

I was told as a child if you learn to use a thimble, you won't be able to sew without one and it is true, I have one at every chair I use and one in my purse in case I need it. Can't do a thing without one. I lick my finger and stick it in the thimble and it becomes part of my hand. A lady told me once her mother put a thimble on each her fingers and she still couldn't sew with one. Too bad. My middle finger is too tender to sew without one and I do a lot of sewing and embroidery. When I see small ones, I buy several, I use the smallest one there is.

Carol J.

dd
    I can't quilt without one. I have a Roxanne knock-off and I even forget I have it on. I will find it on my finger while I have started doing something else. At least we haven't found it in dinner yet. I had one a long time ago that would turn my finger green. Yuck!

Ive been quilting for over 30 yrs and have never been able to get used to using a thimble. I use the small metal dot that sticks to your finger and I LOVE IT. I think its called "under-thimble" and is meant to be used on the finger thats under the quilt... you might try that, it is very comfy and stays stuck until you peel it off.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast