Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I hate thimbles >

I hate thimbles

I hate thimbles

Old 04-13-2011, 04:34 AM
dd

I have used the leather thimbles, a rubber thimble with dimples and leather with the coin. The needle seems to get stuck in the leather or rubber when I push hard and that wears on the thread. That's one reason why I prefer the metal over the others.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:36 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by gaigai
Originally Posted by feline fanatic
Gaigai, for shame! You are sounding too much like the QP here! ;)
No QP here, I just figured since I initially made that mistake and had to be corrected (by the person who taught me how to hand quilt) that I might not be the only person. But one question: If you wear a thimble on your index finger, how do you grab the needle to pull it through? 'Cause I can't see how to do it. Just asking.
I don't wear it when I pull it through, nor when I start my new new needle full of stitches, I slip it off. Once I take 2 or 3 rocks of the needle I slip it back on. Same when I have one on my thumb for when quilting away from me. This is probably why it takes me forever to handquilt anything! I prefer not using one at all and pushing the needle with my fingernail but I eventually drill a hole in the nail and naturally the needle always goes for the hole. So in an effort to not have to stop quilting for a few weeks until my nail grows out I do the thimble on, thimble off routine.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by Maride
I learned to sew 30 years ago and have never been able to use one. If I try to wear one I end up pushing the needle with another finger.
Add 20 years and I still can't use a thimble. My Grandmother tried and tried to teach me to use a thimble....but I would push the needle with a finger without a thimble. So as a result I have a callus on the finger I use to push my needle. LOL!!!
Old 04-13-2011, 05:05 AM

I like the little leather dots that you can place where you want them and can use them many times before changing.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:07 AM

I use the 18th one down on this page

http://www.lacis.com/catalog/data/AD_Thimbles.html

Open Sided Metal Thimble

I like the lip on the end, and the adjustible bands fir sixe (I have skinny fingers)

This page - who knew there were so many thinbles available?
Old 04-13-2011, 05:12 AM

I also can't find a thmble that is comfortable. I found Thimble-it at a craft store and love them They are small self adhesive finger pads to use when hand sewing. They are very inexpensive and I never sew without them. I think if you try them you would like this product. The web site is www.colonialneedle.com. Good luck
Old 04-13-2011, 05:19 AM
elm

I'm not comfortable with thimbles either. I've tried many different kinds. Metal gives me a rash. I alternate between a leather and a backless plastic when I have to sew binding. Otherwise I just do without a thimble.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:26 AM

I LOVE thimbles. I have some antique ones that fit so well that I can almost just go about my business without realizing I have it on, or even worrying about it falling off. Check some antique shops - the old ones are already "broken in" - worn soft on the inside unlike the new ones I've seen. I think the difference between a really good (relatively expensive) thimble and a Joann's thimble is tremedous! My dad always said 'you get what you pay for!"
Old 04-13-2011, 05:28 AM

I also don't use a thimble and I am in good company: one of the most famous hand quilters in England, Lilian Hedley, hand quilts without a thimble.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:54 AM

Japanese thimbles which are shaped like rings.Also, Sashiko thimbles which have a small dish attached to the ring.The dish part sits in your palm and you push from there.I use them all the time,
http://www.designbyaika.com/sashiko-...bles-yubinuki/

http://www.alderspringdesign.com/ind...&productId=219