Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I hate thimbles >

I hate thimbles

I hate thimbles

Old 04-13-2011, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I won't hand sew without a thimble, I don't like pin gouges. Try this, Take an inexpensive metal thimble and lay it down on the side. Using a hammer hit it until the bottom becomes oval shaped. It will fit your finger so much better and will not fall off. I love the new Clover thimbles. They are the best I've used.
I've tried most of the methods mentioned above. I read (probably on this board somewhere) about this "hammer method" and tried it. It DOES feel better, but my problem is that I can't manage the needle with the thimble on my finger. And I DO use the middle finger for the thimble. I suppose I'm just a klutz. :wink:
Old 04-13-2011, 12:09 PM
Banned

I actually went into my mother's collection of thimbles that I have inherited and found an old metal one that was already bent up and used it. It fit better than the other one I had and wasn't as awkward as the leather one I have. I wonder if that is one she used a lot? Wish she was still alive to ask.

Thanks for all your input. Good to know we are not alone - no matter what our issues are. :)
Old 04-13-2011, 12:29 PM

I use a leather thimble which has a sideways metal mesh imbedded into it that I push with. It is made by Clover. They, from what I understand, are no longer being made. However, I think my LQS still has a few left. PM me if you are interested as I don't know if I should do an ad here on the board.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by maryb119
I don't like them either. I can never find a comfortable one. I usually push the needle with the finger beside the thimble.
This is the same reason I don't use thimbles. When wearing a thimble it is like my brain thinks that finger is hurt (think band-aid) so I automatically use the finger next to it.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:09 PM

I also hate them-I use a piece of leather on my middle finger to push the needle .
Old 04-13-2011, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
I can't be the only one who hates thimbles. They are big, bulky and don't fit my fingers.

Any suggestions for a really good finger tip cover that fits well, protects my finger when hand sewing the bindings on quilts?

Thanks.

Clover have a new thimble called Protect and Grip Thimbles. They offer the perfect combination of soft, elastic material with the safety of a metal thimble cap. The scallop design offers breathability, keeping your finger cool. Its excellent elasticity helps the thimble form naturally to your fingertip for a light fit. Safe and smart, the ridged and dimpled metal cap holds the needle tip in place and pushes needles in safely. This new thimble provides comfort and lightness and I love it.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:41 PM

Try using the adhesive that vets use to keep animals from chewing a wound. It stretches and will last a long time before the needle pierces the fabric. Hope this helps. You can buy it from Hancock's I think. Or, bum some from the blood mobile or from your vet.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:52 PM

When i hand quilt I do like to put on a couple of thimbles. I find the leather one is bulky, so rather use a silver one that grandmother had use( maybe thats why I like it because it was hers). I bought a silver of my own at a national quilt show, paid a lot for it and I never use it.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:28 PM

never could wear a thimble-but, now i use a leather thimble and it works pretty good.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:41 PM

Mom made me try to use one when I was learning to hem....about 40 years ago. Hated them then, still do now. Just don't see the point in pushing when you can pull!