Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have also fallen in love with applique...to discover I have pronounced it wrong :) >

I have also fallen in love with applique...to discover I have pronounced it wrong :)

I have also fallen in love with applique...to discover I have pronounced it wrong :)

Old 08-10-2012, 07:38 AM

I remembered another one - my MIL says "flustrated" instead of frustrated. I think this is funny - it's like a combination of flustered and frustrated.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by kuntryquilter View Post
I also hear people pronounce wash with an R in it. 'Warshing'
MY Dh was just pointing out that I say "wash" as "wush" (like "tush" but with a "w"). I also evidently say "see-ment" instead of "suh-ment". I can't help it... I'm originally from KS & I just have a midwestern twang... LOL! Well, that's my story & I'm sticking to it! And I, too, love applique or whatever you wanna call putting fabric on top of other fabric!
Old 08-10-2012, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I remembered another one - my MIL says "flustrated" instead of frustrated. I think this is funny - it's like a combination of flustered and frustrated.
I hear a lot of people say it without the 1st "r" so it's "fus-trated". Which FRUSTRATES me... LOL!
Old 08-10-2012, 08:38 AM

last spring, i had the great pleasure of renting a cottage in Feakle, Ireland for a week. Kept pronouncing it "feckel", Nope, it is pronounced like "fecal". Couldn't understand why the Irish didn't know where we where staying until one of them pronounced it for us. Course, i still had a hard time pronouncing it correctly in the States.
i loved to go back. the cottage was for sale. Only 150 thousand Euros for a little 3 bedroom cottage. Probably 600 square feet total with a small yard. Great view though and to die for traditional music locally. Ahh, some day!!!
Old 08-10-2012, 08:48 AM

When asking a friend what food she was having at her wedding , she said "canned apes".
had to think on that one and not chuckle.
Then I said, "Oh, canapés" .
Old 08-10-2012, 08:50 AM

I had a similar experience with "hyperbole."
Old 08-10-2012, 08:58 AM
Power Poster

My husband asked me once if I was making horse douvers for the pot luck.
Another time we went to a fancy restaurant and the waiter asked if he should bring a caraffe of wine. Pat just gave him a funny look (I told the guy no thanks). When the waiter left, Pat asked me why the guy want to bring us a giraffe.
Then there was the time when he suggested that we should put a crouton in the guest room. I asked him if he though that our guests would prefer plain, herb, or garlic. Since then we also put futons on our salad.
My German friend recently asked me about my sha-dule. For the life of me I couldn't figure out what she was talking about so she wrote it down: schedule.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:59 AM

Too funny....all of these..... so I'll add mine. As a child, my older brother pronounced elephant as "f e lant". Actually, if he's not careful, he still does. Also, my father always pronounced chimney as "chimblee". To this day, I'm not sure if it is "al lu min i um" or "a loom i num"

LOL
Old 08-10-2012, 09:25 AM

hmmm.... not long ago someone came into the quilt shop where I work and asked for books on "app leek" - took me a while to get to the bottom of that one! She was so excited about the technique that I did suggest a new pronounciation.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
very cute. You don't want to know how I thought facade was pronounced when I was younger ;-)
LOL, so funny!!! When I was about 8 yrs old and trying to teach my dog, Scraps, a trick, I was not making any head way, and said, "Scraps, you just won't coop-r-ate with me!" My mother got a huge laugh out of this!