Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have a DREAM! >

I have a DREAM!

I have a DREAM!

Old 03-24-2011, 03:59 AM

GO FOR IT!!! FOLLOW THOSE DREAMS. ASK LOTS OF QUESTIONS, LOOK AT LOTS OF SHOPS AND LISTEN TO PEOPLE. YOU CAN DO IT!!
Old 03-24-2011, 04:22 AM

We should all have Dreams!
Old 03-24-2011, 04:38 AM

Always have a dream for your life. God may direct you on a different path someday but hold on for now. This is a lovely thought.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:41 AM

Dreams can become reality... now my mind is racing here for a name.... got to include hubby's suggestion as well. So here goes:

Leesa's Dream Material & Things

Dreaming Leesa's Country Material & Things
Old 03-24-2011, 04:46 AM

I think you should pursue your dream. An area for the men to sit would be nice with tea, coffee & ‘manly’ magazines. Quilters love to take classes and these classes would bring quilters into your shop. When I worked at a LQS quilters were ‘encouraged’ to buy materials from the shop that was offering the classes. Music in the background is nice. You may want to offer LAQ services either done yourself or sent out to good and reputable local LAQ’s. You could also ask quilters or have a form for them to fill out about what they would like to see in your shop. The owner I worked for let us pick out whatever patterns she had in the store to make to put on display. This looks pretty and helps quilters who come in to come up with new ideas and helps you sell the materials needed for the quilt. You could also offer sew days or nights for quilters to come in and work on WIP’s together. You could also offer a sewing machine repair service if you wanted (or have a good referral or place to send out.) and also scissor sharpening. The LQS I worked for also sold Pfaff's and all of us had to learn how to use them to teach quilters. An e-mail newsletter of course would help you get new info out to your customers. Get involved with your local guilds. You could also have charity quilting days to bring quilters in who want to make charity quilts together. You could have them brown bag it, have a list of local restaurants or bring in lunch for them. One LQS had all night quilting PJ parties :-P
Old 03-24-2011, 04:52 AM

How about adding yarn, if there is a market for it? It might appeal to more people and you might be able to get a quilter to knit or a crocheter to quilt!
Old 03-24-2011, 04:54 AM

Keep that dream! I'd love to be able to do that too. I really like what sassyg suggested, "Sewer's Dream."
Old 03-24-2011, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker
After being on this board and meeting all the nice quilters, I've decided that someday I want to own my very own quilt shop. It's just a dream of course, (well I think it is) but its been fun to think about. What do you think? Could I make this dream a reality? And of course it will need a name. My DH wants to call it "Material Things" . What do you think? My name is Leesa. I'm a country gal. Any more suggestions? (since its a dream, be inventive)
If I was closer I would come and work for you.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker
After being on this board and meeting all the nice quilters, I've decided that someday I want to own my very own quilt shop. It's just a dream of course, (well I think it is) but its been fun to think about. What do you think? Could I make this dream a reality? And of course it will need a name. My DH wants to call it "Material Things" . What do you think? My name is Leesa. I'm a country gal. Any more suggestions? (since its a dream, be inventive)
Yes indeed! Move to MY town with all those wonderful ideas and suggestions!!! ROFL!
Old 03-24-2011, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by Scrap Happy
I think you should pursue your dream. An area for the men to sit would be nice with tea, coffee & ‘manly’ magazines. Quilters love to take classes and these classes would bring quilters into your shop. When I worked at a LQS quilters were ‘encouraged’ to buy materials from the shop that was offering the classes. Music in the background is nice. You may want to offer LAQ services either done yourself or sent out to good and reputable local LAQ’s. You could also ask quilters or have a form for them to fill out about what they would like to see in your shop. The owner I worked for let us pick out whatever patterns she had in the store to make to put on display. This looks pretty and helps quilters who come in to come up with new ideas and helps you sell the materials needed for the quilt. You could also offer sew days or nights for quilters to come in and work on WIP’s together. You could also offer a sewing machine repair service if you wanted (or have a good referral or place to send out.) and also scissor sharpening. The LQS I worked for also sold Pfaff's and all of us had to learn how to use them to teach quilters. An e-mail newsletter of course would help you get new info out to your customers. Get involved with your local guilds. You could also have charity quilting days to bring quilters in who want to make charity quilts together. You could have them brown bag it, have a list of local restaurants or bring in lunch for them. One LQS had all night quilting PJ parties :-P
These are some awesome ideas. What would the competition in your area be like? Alot of people I know are shopping online more and more too. Maybe you can do both.
Good luck. :thumbup: