Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have a DREAM! >

I have a DREAM!

I have a DREAM!

Old 03-24-2011, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by Scrap Happy
I think you should pursue your dream. An area for the men to sit would be nice with tea, coffee & ‘manly’ magazines. Quilters love to take classes and these classes would bring quilters into your shop. When I worked at a LQS quilters were ‘encouraged’ to buy materials from the shop that was offering the classes. Music in the background is nice. You may want to offer LAQ services either done yourself or sent out to good and reputable local LAQ’s. You could also ask quilters or have a form for them to fill out about what they would like to see in your shop. The owner I worked for let us pick out whatever patterns she had in the store to make to put on display. This looks pretty and helps quilters who come in to come up with new ideas and helps you sell the materials needed for the quilt. You could also offer sew days or nights for quilters to come in and work on WIP’s together. You could also offer a sewing machine repair service if you wanted (or have a good referral or place to send out.) and also scissor sharpening. The LQS I worked for also sold Pfaff's and all of us had to learn how to use them to teach quilters. An e-mail newsletter of course would help you get new info out to your customers. Get involved with your local guilds. You could also have charity quilting days to bring quilters in who want to make charity quilts together. You could have them brown bag it, have a list of local restaurants or bring in lunch for them. One LQS had all night quilting PJ parties :-P
WOW that LQS owner sounds like she had every base covered! It sounds wonderful!
Old 03-24-2011, 05:22 AM

I used to work at a LQS & so far the other ladies have given you some wonderful ideas. The shop I worked at also carried yarn & that was a huge seller. Just realize that it is hard work to have your own business with lots of long hrs and not necessary a lot of pay (at least for the 1st few yrs). However, it is definitely doable. One thing I would highly recommend you do if possible is work at another LQS for at least a yr. That will give you a good feel for how the customers can be, what sort of inventory they prefer the most, etc.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:27 AM

Make sure you have enough working capital to make it through the starting up period. I see so many businesses close here that were only open a year or less. I don't know if this still holds true but they used to say that a new business loses money the first year, breaks even the second year, and starts showing a profit the third. Plan ahead for that.

Check out SBA loans (if they still have them!) My mom got one for her drapery business years ago. Back then they liked loaning to women. They were considered a minority and so it was pretty easy to get the loan. Maybe it is still the same way. They offered all kinds of classes to help us with our business too.

Get a good accountant.

And most importantly - follow your dream. Life is too short and we shouldn't spend it thinking about "someday". Go for it. You will always regret not following your dream. I also have this dream but it will always stay that way. I'm broke, bad credit, bad health. So GO FOR IT!! That way I can live vicariously through you!!
:-D :-D
Old 03-24-2011, 06:10 AM
Power Poster

We all need dreams, it's what keeps us going. Good luck with yours and let us know how it turns out.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:15 AM

Like your screen name "Piece Maker" Country Quilts
Old 03-24-2011, 07:18 AM

Love the idea of quilter's B&B. Old farmhouse, turn the barn into the fabric store, coffee shop and bakery in one corner of the main level, with sitting area around the old wood stove... Discount area in the old hay loft upstairs. Another sitting area up there to rest from shopping and stair climbing, lol. I'm in heaven.
Actually I just described a B&B Bookshop that we stayed at in Canada. Just take out the books and put in the fabric!!
Old 03-24-2011, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Terryl
Originally Posted by #1piecemaker
After being on this board and meeting all the nice quilters, I've decided that someday I want to own my very own quilt shop. It's just a dream of course, (well I think it is) but its been fun to think about. What do you think? Could I make this dream a reality? And of course it will need a name. My DH wants to call it "Material Things" . What do you think? My name is Leesa. I'm a country gal. Any more suggestions? (since its a dream, be inventive)
#1piecemaker, I too share your dream, though mine includes owning a B&B to hold retreats at along with the quilt shop. And the B&B is always full of quilters. Such awesomely lovely dreams I have :lol: :lol:
me too! Add "quilt camp" to that and you will know my dream!
Old 03-24-2011, 07:36 AM

I love your dream, keep dreaming it! I also love the idea of quilting supplies, lots of material, adding yarn and wool, some 'homemade' purses,totes, knitted sweaters for sale. Somewhere for clients to sit and talk, cup of tea, and spend some time with friends. When I think of these kinds of stores I think "cozy". Just make it warmy and comfortable for the clients and I'm sure your dream will grow and grow.
Good luck with your dream.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:21 AM

The fabric Patch is for sale in Montclair CA, very good business has been around for over 30years, good customer base, something to keep in mind
Old 03-24-2011, 08:23 AM

I like DH idea about "Material Things", it leaves room for all ideas, and fabric selections. Good luck, you can do it!