Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have a DREAM! >

I have a DREAM!

I have a DREAM!

Old 03-24-2011, 06:59 PM

the Small Business Administration is a helpful place, too. We used to have a restaurant and they sent out someone to advise us.

The best thing I learned is that the name of the shop should reflect exactly what you sell.

I think Leesa's Quilting Supplies would be a good name. What a grand dream- can I come and work with you?
Old 03-24-2011, 07:02 PM

Material Dreams Quilting Haven - get it.....they buy the "material and dream about the quilts they'll make.......you sell the material and dream about the friends and money you'll make - win win :) and the haven is where they escape (your shop) from the reality of their lives.......
Old 03-24-2011, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker
Originally Posted by Kooklabell
Ok, add a big screen room for the guys who might drive us to the classes :) I was going to say beer too, but that might be more difficult. In Massachusetts there is a brew bar that has an open space with a rug and rocking chairs. On Tuesday nights the guys come in to have a beer and watch TV and the ladies sit in the rockers, have a beer (or whatever) and knit! I think its sooooo cool!!!

My life poem - Hold fast to dreams for if dreams die Life is like a broken winged bird that cannot fly.

Dream On!!
That might be a good idea. that way, the guys could watch tv while the women shop. That way they wouldn't mind too much about stopping in. Huh?
don't know about other states, but in Washington you can give away alcoholic drinks without a license- so give every man who comes in with his wife a beer! and a place to sit and drink it...
Old 03-24-2011, 09:57 PM

How do these sound for a name. "Leesa's Material Things". "Leesa's Piece Makers Shop" "The Piece Makers Shop"
"Piece Makers Heaven" "Dream Makers Heaven"
Old 03-24-2011, 09:59 PM

"Have A Dream Craft Shop" You could cover other areas like crocheting and knitting as well as quilting. Just a thought.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:01 PM

Leesas Country Material Things Shop!
Old 03-24-2011, 10:19 PM

You really need to think it through before jumping in. I made very good friends with the previous owner of our LQS and she never had time to sew or quilt anymore because she was so busy with the actual running of the shop that even when she went home, she was doing inventory, spreadsheets, accounting, etc. It's a lot of work and I really appreciate those who persevere in this venue for those of us with fabric addictions!
Old 03-25-2011, 02:29 AM

I am dying to find a rental longarm in a shop so I can quilt some of my favorite tops...but not have to pay a fortune for someone else to do it. Please consider having those!!!!
Old 03-25-2011, 05:32 AM

Let me know when your dream comes true.....I visited Ar long ago and have always wanted to return.

I too want to have a quilt shop someday, but with a little different "flair"....ours will have a nature preserve attached, with cabins...

Always pursue your dreams
Old 03-25-2011, 09:24 AM

I used to live in New England, NH,and one day I had been visiting friends in the southern part of the state, and made a wrong turn, which is easy to do in thick forest, but I wasn't lost really, because all the forest roads will eventually come out on a state highway.
Suddenly i saw a sign among the thick trees along the side of the road, PINK POODLE QUILT SHOP - or something like that.
Of course my car turned in! It turned out that the lady who lived there was the wife of a man who had a trucking business. She was a dedicated quilter, and had a nice little
quilt shop downstairs in her house, one room with its own entrance. She had some fabric on bolts, and lots of great patterns from Canada, a cutting table, She directed me to the shop door,which was decorated with a pretty painted sign, and both she and her husband, who happened to be home, came down the back stairs and let me in. They were both charming, and I had such a good time. Her husband just took a delight in her shop.
I bought some patterns for wall hangings, and we chatted a good while!
I remember that as one of my favorite visits to a quilt shop ever!
...and the thing was, she had just made her quilting room into a little shop, she had just arranged her sewing equipment into a tiny store. and added some merchandise, like rulers and bobbins and needles, and interesting patterns, of course.
She did all her quilting down there. She had remote sensors to tell her when a customer arrived in the parking space.
Well,
my friend,If she did that, maybe this will inspire you to try the same?
All this in the middle of a thick forest!
Jeannie
PS. I hope I got the name right - forgive me, dear heart if I didn't!