Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have found a great pencil for marking fabric >

I have found a great pencil for marking fabric

I have found a great pencil for marking fabric

Old 08-07-2012, 04:57 PM

For marking fabric for piecing I just use a #2 mechanical pencil. A light back and forth stroke works good. For the quilt top I have this little flat holder with a rolling wheel with points. It is filled with chalk and when I am thru, I just use a white terry towel and dust it right off. I use pounce whenever I use a stencil. Same thing applies. After I have stitched the quilt together, just dust it off with a towel. This method works great for me.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:15 PM

I tried the Frixion pens last week for marking hst's. Some of the marks did bleach out some of my fabrics.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:15 PM

great it is nice to know, white pencils always break the point lead right away, very frustrating
Old 08-08-2012, 04:01 AM

I used to use the graphite pencils but the ones I used are not available anymore and I think the reason is because of the lead in them. They were from England I think and I would surely love to have some more of them. Never ever had a problem with them washing out, erasing or etc. I have the name and everything somewhere and thought about seeing if anyone from England could find them.

Pat
Old 08-08-2012, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by homecaregiver View Post
I used to use the graphite pencils but the ones I used are not available anymore and I think the reason is because of the lead in them. They were from England I think and I would surely love to have some more of them. Never ever had a problem with them washing out, erasing or etc. I have the name and everything somewhere and thought about seeing if anyone from England could find them.

Pat
Have you any more information re the name of these pencils Pat ?
DottyD
Old 08-08-2012, 06:42 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Pat, I'll bet they were the Berol Karismacolor Graphite Aquarelle. I loved them too and hoard the stubs of the ones I have left; they are no longer made.

Jan in VA
Old 08-08-2012, 07:45 AM

@ burchquilts--I agree wholeheartedly! I've tried just about every pencil on the market and nothing beats a plain old pencil!
Old 08-08-2012, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by winia View Post
Silver is easy to see also on any fabric. I agree about the Olympics, especially the women's soccer. I'm originally from New Jersey, and there are four "Jersey girls" on the team. Finals are Thursday against Japan who beat them
in the World Cup a couple of years ago. I shall be biting my fingernails the entire game.

Yes, we will be cheering for the U.S. women's soccer team. Can't wait to see this awsome soccer match! Go girls!
Old 08-08-2012, 11:44 AM

Dottie-you are so lucky to be where the Olympics are-never been to one, but if they come back to the U.S.A. maybe I'll go and watch some Gymnastics-that is my love, and Men/Women's swimming, but I know all cost quite a bit-and they say you see better on the television-thanks for the tips on pencils-will try some when marking
Old 10-28-2012, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Thank you Holice ... for all the info!
You've made me really think about the pink and yellow chalk rollers that I've been using. Maybe pretty isn't such a good idea!!

I'll check out the art supplies next time I'm near a store that might have them and see if I can have some luck!

The ceramic mechanical pencils ... would these be art supplies? drafting? or?

Petey ... I have the Frixxion pens too, and really like them.
Most of the time, I use mine for marking the wrong side of fabric.
However, you may find that they bleach out fabrics.
I know I have had that happen on both dark and light.
So as Holice suggests ... test test and test again!

Yikes! Ok, now I'm re-thinking the friction pens altogether. If you are using them on the backside of the fabric and the lines come back in cold weather (not necessarily the freezer), not a big deal. But, if there is any risk of the fabric bleaching, then they are getting crossed off my supply list! Somewhere on QB I thought I read on a thread that the friction pens were not originally designed for fabric, only paper and they just got adapted by us crafty people. Hmmm?

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-31-2018 at 07:34 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps