Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have found a great pencil for marking fabric >

I have found a great pencil for marking fabric

I have found a great pencil for marking fabric

Old 08-07-2012, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by DottyD View Post
http://www.goldmedalmel.typepad.com/...dfasdfads.html

Ben Ainsleys boat for me !!! DottyD.
Wow!! and I can see why, but I can't be in two boats at once!! lol, its worth a try tho

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-31-2018 at 07:38 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 08-07-2012, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Holice View Post
The ceramic lead pencil is found in the fabric stores and quilt shops. It was made for fabric.
Brands are: Sewline; Fons and Porter' Bohin; Collins All are probably from the same factory.
The mehanical pencil with about 10 leads is around $15 but I believe worth the price as they mark and erase well.
There was a posting some weeks ago about the Fixon pens. As I recall, the quilter ironed the marks off, was taking it to someone and it was in a cold car and the lines came back. So don't have to put it in the freezer but a cold place. I believe someone said that if the quilt is washed you don't have the problem. On the other hand several have reported it bleaches out the fabric. It sounds like a magic marker but the side effects are not good. Then depends on how and where you use it.
Thank you for all this info
Mary
Old 08-07-2012, 08:00 AM

I use a good ol' mechanical pencil #2 lead for light fabrics and the Bohin with a white lead for dark fabs. Never had a problem with washing any of these, or the chalks of any color. But the original poster was looking for pencils that did NOT need to be washed. For that I'd recommend the Bohin (or similar manufacture). They do brush off nicely (or sometimes too nicely).
Old 08-07-2012, 08:04 AM
Banned

Wow, great info, thank you!
Old 08-07-2012, 09:40 AM

I have a drawer full of marking pens and pencils I have gathered through the years..... But.... I have just bought one that I love, love , love..
The Sewline Airerasable Fabric Pen! It has a smooth ceramic roller point, fine sharp lines and vanishes in a few days....
I have found it will vanish sometimes in a few hours depending on how much you press down on the fabric.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-31-2018 at 07:39 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 08-07-2012, 12:42 PM

My favorite new marking tool is "Frixion"=I can not say enough of this product - heat just makes it vanish...........
Old 08-07-2012, 12:58 PM

I use two different types of marking pens and both come out. I use Chaco rolling markers in yellow for dark fabrics. It brushes right off. On light fabrics, I buy a pen at Hancock's made by Dritz I think???? It's a white pen with a purple end and purple cap. It evaporates away, so you have to sew what you mark right away. The mark will not be there the next day. Both of these have worked well for me for years.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:26 PM

DottyD - we are all in England this week enjoying tv coverage of the Olympics and of London (love that city!). I've been lucky enough to be at two Olympics and both times the atmosphere in the cities was exciting even if you weren't at the actual events. As far as marking, I like the Frixion pens and wish they'd make one in white for use on dark fabric.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:45 PM

Have sew line pencil love it have pink white and black for it love the pink it's shows up on mst stuff
I just can't say enough about this tool!
Old 08-07-2012, 04:01 PM

Has anyone used the pounce pads with chalk. They work fast but the blue does not come out easily. I do not like to wash the quilts I make as they then look old and used.