Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have a question >

I have a question

I have a question

Old 02-17-2011, 10:20 AM

I do buy FQs just to add some variety in my stash. I haven't bought any other precuts, though, simply because I haven't "needed" them. I would think about it, though, if I had a pattern that had been designed specifically for the particular precut, as it's an easy way to get a variety of fabrics without buying 1/8 or 1/4 yard of 10 or so different pieces.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Shelbie
As far as I can see, quilters are willing to pay more for these pre-cuts because many hate to cut or find it difficult. When we have guild "hands on" sessions to make community quilts, very few will take on the job of cutting. It seems to be the #1 least favourite job. Choosing colours is also hard for some quilters so being able to grab a colour co-ordinated jelly roll ready to go is an easy sell. I never buy them or even fat quarters as I like to cut strips the full fabric width, stitch strata and sub-cut. I have now worked out a deal with one of our older members. I cut her fabric in exchange for her binding my quilts. It works for both of us.
Cutting for me and many others IS a big issue. At our quilting classes someone started bringing a set of four of those plastic bed risers that Walmart sells pretty cheap. We place them under the legs of the a table and that makes a difference to have a good height for a cutting table. I will be using a set I bought for the next major cutting go round that I do...
Old 02-17-2011, 10:28 AM
Banned

I rarely buy the precuts just because they are so darned expensive. But when they're on sale, I sometimes will pick a few up since I love fabric collections and this is an easy way to get them (again, only when on sale).
Old 02-17-2011, 10:30 AM

I have bought 10 inch squares from the swap meet and I just love them. I can make two large quilts out of them. Plus I got a very good price on them. I havent bought any jelly rolls. They look to small for me.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:36 AM

I think it's a few reasons. First, it saves time in ironing yardage and cutting. Second, you get a bit of everything from the line without buying yardage of each fabric. Third, you get a lot of variety, where you know everything matches.

I personally have only bought charms once to make stuffed baby blocks. I have never used pre-cuts (aside from FQ's which are just smaller pieces of yardage) for a quilt.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:37 AM
Banned

lots of answers but my 4 cents worth are
convenience
pre cut
requires a bit of creativity to use them and results are wonderful and amazing.
They make great decoration on the book shelf
Gives you a quick project when you need a break
I received two jelly rolls in an eschange and they contained a mess of different colors and prints. Looked like someone cut up all the stash they didn't like or was left over. I sorted them by light and dark and some color groups and made tube blocks and the results were wonderful. Now I have a chairity quilt that I otherwise would not have.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:45 AM

Because they are fun and the fabrics are fun and well matched.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:47 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

It all comes down to matter of preference

Some like for the convenience of not having to cut- so its worth the extra expense

Some like it for the variety and cant afford to buy more than fq at a time

some cant rotary cut so precuts are a necessity

And some just think they are the best thing since slice bread and cost doesn't matter..
Old 02-17-2011, 10:55 AM

I use pre-cuts but also enjoy selecting my own material. Pre-cuts can be very handy!
Old 02-17-2011, 11:47 AM
Power Poster

There are patterns made for these pre-cuts. I have bought only a few, when I love a certain Moda line and can't afford to invest in a lot of yardage. I can always buy a few charm packs! There's something for everyone...