Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have a road map quilt in mind >

I have a road map quilt in mind

I have a road map quilt in mind

Old 08-25-2015, 02:03 PM

Default I have a road map quilt in mind

I have an idea for a quilt for my GS about to be 1 1/2 yr old. It has a road on it that goes thru jungles with lions and tigers, to the shore with a pirate ship and seashells, farms with tractors and fields. cities, forests with bears and deer, streams with fisherman, construction sites, and all sorts of other neat scenes. Of course all the fabric pieces are going to be different sizes and shapes.

I just do not have the wherewithal to figure out how to put it together. Any ideas out there.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:09 PM
Power Poster

There are pictures of QB member Homemother's Maze quilts. Something similar might work. Try the search box and put in the title..... 3D Maze Quilt with no hint of blue.

Last edited by Tartan; 08-25-2015 at 02:13 PM.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:58 PM

That sounds awesome, but are you sure you can fit all that into one quilt without it becoming The Big Top? You may have the makings of several quilts there.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:16 PM
Power Poster

I don't see how you could do all that in one quilt and still have it washable for a toddler. I agree with JustAbit that you may have the makings of several quilts there.

I did a Google search on "road map quilts" and clicked on images:
https://www.google.com/search?q=road...3X5Q91#imgrc=_
That may give you some ideas.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:02 PM
Power Poster

I also agree that it sounds like a bit much for a single quilt. I would look for a couple of panels with roads, for instance this construction one:
http://www.wilmingtonprints.com/1657-87645-297
Add blocks or borders to make them both the same size, then make a double sided quilt.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:29 PM

Default Thanks All

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
I also agree that it sounds like a bit much for a single quilt. I would look for a couple of panels with roads, for instance this construction one:
http://www.wilmingtonprints.com/1657-87645-297
Add blocks or borders to make them both the same size, then make a double sided quilt.
Thanks You all for your suggestions. I have saved the fabric pictures to my favorites. And will give them a good study when it comes time to do this thing. I like the blue boy truck . . . fabric. That is probably going to be my pattern for this quilt. Size is still undetermined. It will be used as a floor quilt.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by June N View Post
I have an idea for a quilt for my GS about to be 1 1/2 yr old. It has a road on it that goes thru jungles with lions and tigers, to the shore with a pirate ship and seashells, farms with tractors and fields. cities, forests with bears and deer, streams with fisherman, construction sites, and all sorts of other neat scenes. Of course all the fabric pieces are going to be different sizes and shapes.

I just do not have the wherewithal to figure out how to put it together. Any ideas out there.
I know i say this way too often - but then again i am "old school" with most things i do - but a tablet of graph paper has always been my very best quilting tool. All my patterns are born there. Try out your idea on graph paper, deciding in advance how big each square will represent and you will soon see just how much you can incorporate into the size you want. I think your idea is very clever, and did not at all think your list of places to "visit" would be too much, as i pictured this as a large play on the floor quilt...it all depends on your scale.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:27 PM

That is a wonderful idea for a quilt! I have just added to my wish list... Please let us see your quilt when you do it, I bet it will be fantastic!
Old 08-25-2015, 09:05 PM

If you are not a graph person (I'm not) do you have a spare bed? The top of a queen would be a good size for a play quilt. Do you have some scrap strips cut out, or a rope/string? Lay a strip down bending where you might want the road to go, and keep playing until you see something you like. Take a picture of it. Maybe change something, take another picture, etc. When you see what you like, tape newspaper together, draw on roads, mark "cities", cut out the shapes and sew, maybe one section at a time so you don't get lost, and just go for it. If you make a lot of turns in the road, your areas could be divided by the roads, and you can get a lot of areas in a quilt. You can applique the twisty roads on top of the area's edges so that you don't have to worry about sewing curves. Hope you can understand this, it's been a long day.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:44 AM
Power Poster

What about something like this??? Wasn't hard to make and my friend's little boy enjoy running his cars around on it.
Attached Thumbnails merediths-raod-trip.jpg