Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have some very bad habbits >

I have some very bad habbits

I have some very bad habbits

Old 06-14-2013, 07:41 PM

Thanks Jan for being a Mother Hen to us all. StephT I like yourself had sooooo many bad habits ( but not really bad, just inpatient) that now that I have more time to make quilts, I've been reading a lot of the threads on this board. I have started to listen. ( I am not a person who can be told what to do). So I've learned that heavy starch is a necessity to better squaring up and less stretch. Also there are no quilting police. So If I love it, that's all that matters, but I'm slowly, and mean that literally, slowly starting to take many of these ladies advise on how to be more professional in my quilt making verse Just Making A Quilt.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:26 AM

DottyMO, try putting your blocks in a clean pizza box. I have a variety of sizes just for that purpose. They stay clean, ordered, and usually not wrinkled. I, too, am friendly with the lack of patience, not-so-straight seams, etc. But just hang in there and make good habits and use them always. 1 cut finger is a wonderful reminder to always close your rotary cutter, etc.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:40 AM

What is a command strip??? Please tell us!!!
Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
I use to sew fast, zipping through chain piecing and kept wondering why my blocks never were true square, always some edges short or longer. I learned to sew slow, feeling and eyeing the fabric edges as I go. It has made a big difference. If the edges of my blocks or strips are out by 1/16th I know something is not right. I find the problem and correct it. A few time doing this and I know what to watch for and prevent. It may take longer but once done, my quilt top goes together perfectly. Having every seam match and laying flat is a good feeling of accomplishment for me.
I found a nifty little thread helper. A command strip on the machine bed will hold the thread tails out of the way when you start to sew.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:54 AM

To keep quilt squares flat: The 12" square by about 2-3" high plastic boxes with handles on them work great for storing finished quilt squares until you're ready to put them in a quilt. Another method is to wrap them around a empty tube from paper towels or wrapping paper. I also have a pattern using a tube and some fabric to wrap them in too. It was one of our quilt guild programs.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by janceejan View Post
Good luck, those are the same habits we all have...lol. Mine is not squaring. Have learned the iron helps and that nasty starting thread. Cannot get in the habit of using a leader and that would work wonders.
When you see how much benefit it is to use a small piece of fabric in which to take your first four stitches, it will be no trouble to develop that habit. It saves a great deal of trouble with thread nests.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:36 AM

I think my worst habit is starting too many projects, then not finishing them...especially if something goes wrong...I hate ripping out...and usually will put it away and get back at it when I either really have the time, or start feeling too guilty that it is set aside.

Patience I do have a lot of(except ripping out)....that is very helpful with quilting. Leaders and enders I use all the time, and when I want them to be productive, will sew together squares as the leaders/enders...after awhile, you have lots of them to play with to put together a quilt...usually make 4 patches or 9 patches with them.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:32 AM
Power Poster

Join the club. Patience is a virtue, unfortunately I wasn't blessed with that particular virtue. I now keep a piece of fabric under the presser foot, I sew onto it with last piecing, then start from there for new piecing. I was told by a sewing machine owner that keeping a piece of fabric under the presser foot when not in use is a great idea.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:54 AM

Good luck in making these good skills a habit. I am patient, but I have all the other problems. But like you I'm learning to prewash, starch, iron, hold my starting thread and sew a scant 1/4 " seam.( I wish it were an even 1/4".) When piecing, use the same sewing machine throughout the whole project. I'm finishing up my third quilt, which I doubt will ever withstand many washings because of a too thin fabric I used. In that experience I learned that if a thin fabric must be used, then use fusible interfacing to stabilize it. These above statements tell almost everything I know so far. I'm also learning to cut and square accurately. Onward and upward!
Old 06-15-2013, 11:09 AM
Power Poster

Last night I was fussy-cutting some pieces and one of them wouldn't cut right. A piece of scrap had worked its way under my fabric. One of my bad habits is not cleaning the table before starting a new project.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by StephT View Post
first one is I have no patience and I am not a perfectionist. I know you don't really have to be a perfectionist..but I am not even close..well that is because I have no patience.

Another bad habit. I never pay attention to where the starting thread is. So it usually ends up being a jumbled mess at the start of my fabric. I am working on trying to remember to straighten out the threads.

Another bad habit. I hate to iron. I know that in quilting irons are my best friend. Could be my iron keeps shutting off...time for a new one.

Another bad habit. I can't sew straight to save my life. I just purchased a 1/4 inch foot to help.

So What have I learned.

1/4 inch foot really helps.
Move my starting thread and hold it when I start to sew
Iron is my friend and iron those seams.
Square the block before I sew it in rows

Now if I can just remember the above and not stretch the minky I am putting in the baby quilt. I will be happy.
If I didn't know better, I would think that I had written this post. As badly as I would love to be a precise sewer, it just doesn't happen. Have many times taken out my stitching and restitched over and over and never get any better. It isn't the machine, that I know for sure! Loved your post and feel your pain. Yolanda Wood River