Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have a stupid question >

I have a stupid question

I have a stupid question

Old 02-05-2013, 04:51 PM

I have two lights (one standing next to my table) and one Ott light that that I bent around to shine from behind the sewing machine towards the front. Then I put 100 watt bulbs in the ceiling fixture. I find its very hard to get enough light, but those extra lamps helped!
Old 02-05-2013, 05:06 PM

I have a BIG pole lamp with 6 bulbs that I can move wherever I want it.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:58 PM

I haven't got room for a floor lamp or a pole lamp. My big gripe with the cabinets, both Horn and Koala, is no place on the right to even use a clamp on lamp. All the room is to the left of the machine. I can't add any lights, I grabbed the dining room and the only overhead is where the chandelier was. All the plugs are in a place where you would eventually need a cord across the floor. I have one of Michael's storage units on the right. Holds thread, feet, serger accessories, etc. There's a small 3 drawer unit on that which makes it too high and too far away for a lamp. I have clamp on lights I can't use. No place close to put them. The room isn't even square! Open plan type house from the 70s. Architect had his head elsewhere.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:26 PM

Funny you should ask that...went to Goodwill today and picked up two lamps. One is an ott lite on a floor stand - $10, and the bulb works. The other is a desk stand halogen, for $5.

When my husband saw them in the cart he said,"Don't you have enough lamps?"

Of course, the answer was a firm "NO!"
Old 02-05-2013, 06:49 PM

Old floor lamps work great and now that you can get LED lights that work in them - we have the best of both worlds.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:54 PM

I agree. the lighting has a lot to be desired. Just try to purchase a bulb to fit the machine. You have to buy a whole kit just to get a bulb to fit my machine. I've thought about getting one of those little LED lights that uses a battery and attach it to my machine.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:39 AM

The only lighting in my room is from a ceiling fan with a 100 watt bulb. It is supposed to use a 60 watt bulb - you have to do what you have to do. What works best for me is one of the headlamps they sell in the flashlight section of Walmart, Lowe's, or Home Depot, etc. It has an adjustable elastic strap for a good fit and they are surprisingly comfortable. I have one with 6 LED's and one with 3 LED's and a spot light. The lamp is adjustable up or down so you can position it to shine right where you need it. I think that is the feature that makes it so comfortable - the light follows me, instead of me following and working around the light. They are also very easy on batteries. They run 15.00 to 20.00 but it is money well spent. Just a word of caution though - hide it from your husband - mine gets "borrowed" at least once a week.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:41 AM

I have the Viking Diamond Deluxe and it has lots of lights on it. I also have a great ceiling fan with 5 lights on it and I centered my sewing desk in the middle of the room right under the light. This gives me lots of light, no matter if I'm there sewing or at the cutting table. I like having my desk in the middle of the room but since it's a small room it is up against one wall and then I have the cutting table across from it on one side, my bookshelves w/fabric, TV etc in front of me and my thread drawers, printer, ironning board hanging off of closet door all behind me. It works out really nice.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:48 AM

I will just get another Ecolux strip for the 1500. I have the plug, so it's just the lights.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:56 AM

My Sapphire has good lighting but I also have a cheap pole lamp with adjustable lights on it. Dont use it much but it comes in handy once in a while.
My cabinet has room on both sides and both are always full of stuff. Its a Bertha as I have a bigger machine and had to buy a cabinet to fit. It fits all my needs and even has storage in the doors. It was difficult to put togather.

Last edited by Rose Marie; 02-06-2013 at 07:00 AM.