Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have ZERO notions... what do I really need? >

I have ZERO notions... what do I really need?

I have ZERO notions... what do I really need?

Old 02-24-2012, 06:02 PM

All the women are right, however, don't rush to buy all the rulers. Get the basics and then add the bigger, longer rulers as you need them. They are expensive so if you can't afford to spend that kind of money you don't really have to right away. Enjoy!!!
Old 02-24-2012, 06:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
What were the notions you used most at your aunt's? Why not start there. My suggestion would be a rotary cutter, the largest mat you can afford, 12 x 6 ruler, seam ripper, small thread scissors (I very seldom use my large ones) and several spools of thread in neutral colors. Also extra needles for your sewing machine and maybe some hand sewing needles and a thimble. Almost forgot the pins. I like long, thin ones.

welcome and DITTO this!
Old 02-24-2012, 06:41 PM

There are plenty of notions to choose from all costing a lot of money. Most of the suggestions are good and I would follow them. As you get further into quilting you will find some other things that will be handy. I Have a 8x24 ruler which I now use more than my 6x24 ruler. It seemed that every time I was cutting a quilt I needed to cut a strip 6 1/2 inches...the wider ruler has worked better. Just get a few things that you have used on your first quilt. I like the flat flower head long pins too.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:01 PM
Power Poster

At 50% off I'd buy one of each quilting notion at Hancocks. Get the largest square ruler while it's on sale. A chalk marking pencil will come in handy.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:34 PM
Power Poster

A rotary cutter and blades are a MUST! A 6 x 12 quilt ruler, and a 6-1/2 x 24 quilt ruler. I don't like the Green cutting mats Hancock sells, because they smell horrible!! (forgot the name, but I think it is omni grid??)

You'll need a seam ripper, measuring tape, and don't forget thread.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:52 PM

June Tailor shape cut ruler is my favorite(great for strip piecing), 5x19 optima ruler is my second(not sure if they make the brand anymore), definitely need a mat and 45mm rotary cutter. I like the olfas rotary cutters as for my mat I have a cheapo june tailor from walmart. Pins, tape measure, seam ripper, scissors one small and one large( I like ginghers). Don't be afraid to look on ebay, I got some of the expensive stuff like my ginghers for way cheaper on ebay. Also having some marking tools. I would say those are probably the things I use most often. You can acquire other little items as you go along, that will depend what you are interested in. One inexpensive thing I use a lot of is freezer paper
Old 02-25-2012, 04:17 AM

I wouldn't consider a rotating mat as an essential beginning tool need. You'll be better off, IMHO, spending more on your rotary cutter, which should be top-notch OLFA in 45 or 60 size. If you stick with OLFA, Clover, and Omnigrid or Creative Grid brands, you'll have quality that you'll use for years. I also recommend a 6" x 24" ruler needed for cutting yardage. A magnetic pin/needle holder is helpful, as well as a 12.5" square ruler. When there's a Ghinger sale, dressmaker sheers and a thread snips are the best. Otherwise Fisker Titanium.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:32 AM

Oh, I forgot mention thread! DON'T buy bargain thread. Watch the label for yardage and figure the price per yard. A good quality cotton thread is most desirable. Coats 'n Clark Star brand thread appears to be expensive because of the large spool, but is really the 'best value' (though not the 'best thread') at less than a penny per yard. Beware of "cone" packaging that looks like it has lots of thread, but it doesn't. Quilters use a lot of thread.. Quality and price matter. Buy a large spool/cone of a 50 weight, 100% long staple cotton, neutral color such as apricot, pale green, light grey, or tan. These will blend with most colors. We tend to work with lights/darks together, so white & black aren't your best buy. I sew almost exclusively with light grey. If you find a source (Sew Thankful online is one) for Masterpiece cones or another extra long staple Egyptian cotton, you'll beat the cost of fabric store thread and be sewing with the best. Google 'Egyptian cotton threads' and see what you get.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:45 AM

My suggestion would be to use JoAnn's or Hancocks with coupons and buy: 18 x 36 cutting mat, 45mm rotary cutter,
6 x 24" ruler, a package of the little rubber thingies that go on the bottom of the ruler so it will not slide, long thin pins,
a seam ripper and a very good lint brush for cleaning out the machine (I use a blush brush). This is to assume that you already have extra needles and oil for your machine. Don't forget a sharp small scissor. I just bought all of this with a sewing machine for my daughter this past Christmas.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:07 AM

How do you plan to baste your quilts? If you are going to pin baste, then you'll need a good supply of safety pins made especially for basting. And I find the Kwik Kip tool to be a lifesaver for putting those pins in.