Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have ZERO notions... what do I really need? >

I have ZERO notions... what do I really need?

I have ZERO notions... what do I really need?

Old 02-25-2012, 12:05 PM

I also agree with quilts4fun. But I would also purchase either a bag or a plastic crate for storing your notions in. I made a bag which holds my mats and rulers and I have a lovely tin for everything else. Happy quilting looking forward to seeing your work on QP
Old 02-25-2012, 12:17 PM

I have a Thread snipper that I love. Think it came as a freebie with something I ordered, but I use it more than small sissors when I am sewing pieces together. Just grab, snip and done...
Old 02-25-2012, 02:09 PM

IMHO, two things you don't want to skimp on is your rotary cutter and large cutting mat. Rulers are more inclined to be individual preferences but make sure you get one long one (6 x 24 maybe). For cutting lots of smaller quilt pieces, I also really like the rotating cutting mat.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:16 PM

Rotary cutter, mat AND an O'lipfa ruler 24x6. O'lipfa rulers have a lip on the end that butts up to the mat perfectly. The ruler will not move when you cut this way. www.overstock.com has them for $13 this week I noticed just yesterday.

When you do the search, be sure you put the apostrophe in the name or it won't come up. O'Lipfa rulers

Last edited by Christine-; 02-25-2012 at 02:19 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:16 PM

I'm a newbie to quilting, so I'll share the items I began with 3 years ago. I started with the Olipfa 6" X 24" lip edge ruler because it measures almost half the width of my fabric. I bought the Olipfa edge ruler so that it would grip the edge of my mat. I use it as my straight edge to cut straight lines. Within rulers, after the straight edge, make sure all the other rulers you buy are the same brand because they can differ in the ways they measure. I use Omnigrid the most and I prefer the ones that are clear with yellow and black lines. The second most often used ruler is my Omnigrid 4" X 8" ruler, which is used to actually measure my fabric into the straight edge where I cut.

Next, I needed a 45 mm Olfa rotary cutter along with the 18" X 24" mat. I like the green mat because I can see the fabric better next to a dark color.

Quilting straight pins that are longer are what I prefer to use. I bought the expensive smaller ones when I took quilting lessons because they were recommended, but I never use them. I find them difficult to hang onto because they are so small. I guess my hands are large and I got tired of picking the up from the floor all the time.

Thread is next. I use neutral colors almost exclusively, and I would recommend you buy good thread. I don't use Coats and Clarks ever. I've been using Gutermann when I could find it on sale for 50% off. I just received an order from Superior Threads because so many of my friends who quilt highly recommend their Masterpiece and/or Bottom Line for the bobbin. I buy white, cream and black most often. As I've branched out, I've added red, navy, emerald and a few pastels. You want the least amount of lint possible.

A good pair of scissors is next. I also used my Hancock's coupons to get a pair of Gingher Dressmaker's Shears for around $20; which was about half price. Make sure they are right-handed or left-handed whichever you are.

I use an inexpensive measuring tape when I need to measure the length or width of a project.

That's my recommendation for a basic beginner. As I have gotten more immersed in this, I have added different length and width rulers, a larger rotary cutter, different types of pins to use for various projects, Best Press Spray Starch, a pair of small thread snips that are spring loaded for beside my sewing machine. A smaller pair of Mundial scissors (about 6 inches long) for next to the sewing machine. A Bendable Bright Light and 2 of the "Ott" type lights to illuminate my sewing area; especially when sewing at night. A second small sized iron to keep at my sewing area instead of the one I use to iron clothes with. (although I NEVER iron clothes!!!) And I love my magnetic pin holder and my pin cushion, which I made.

And then, I got into the cutesy things like charms on my scissors, etc. which are totally a waste of money, but I love them and I don't care. I LIKE them!!!

You can go on ad nauseum adding fun and different things to your repertoire! It's always kind of fun finding a new notion or some way of making some task easier, more creative or more fun. Have fun and ENJOY it!
Old 02-25-2012, 05:38 PM

Location: Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....

DONT FORGET extra bobbins!!
Old 02-25-2012, 09:48 PM

Don't go too crazy buying new things. A 45mm rotary cutter and large mat, big handled seam ripper, 6 1/2" (not 6") x 24" ruler, 12 1/2" square and 6 1/2" square rulers with 60 and 45 degree markings are the most versatile items I couldn't do without. Spring handled scissors and snips are handy. Save money by asking other quilters for hand me downs- esp magazines and books, and use coupons for JoAnns, Michael's, etc. Overstock.com has some useful items with low shipping costs- just search "sewing". Kitchen plastic containers and zippered plastic bags are great for storing thread, sewing machine attachments, bobbins, needles and patterns. You'll soon be making your own tote and mat bags, pin cushion, and thread scrap bag, and there is an incredible wealth of free patterns on the net. I think the best resource is this group!
Old 02-26-2012, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
What were the notions you used most at your aunt's? Why not start there. My suggestion would be a rotary cutter, the largest mat you can afford, 12 x 6 ruler, seam ripper, small thread scissors (I very seldom use my large ones) and several spools of thread in neutral colors. Also extra needles for your sewing machine and maybe some hand sewing needles and a thimble. Almost forgot the pins. I like long, thin ones.
Great starter list, quiltsRfun - I'd also add:
- replacement rotary cutter blades (!!!!!)
- the "Flying Geese X 4" ruler (makes half- and quarter square triangles and flying geese without the math)
- a larger square up ruler
- the June Tailor Shape Cut slotted ruler (helps you cut strips of fabric without the darn "V" that happens at the fold)
- disappearing ink marking pen
- chalk marker (some come with many colored leads for light and dark fabrics)

Last edited by Wunder-Mar; 02-26-2012 at 01:36 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:42 PM

Oh yes, you need extra bobbins!