Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I hurt my machine's feelings! Ha, ha... >

I hurt my machine's feelings! Ha, ha...

I hurt my machine's feelings! Ha, ha...

Old 02-09-2017, 07:18 PM

I sure wouldn't buy a machine just for one project--but I have to admit that I have 6( an Elna Quilt Pro Queen; a Singer treadle; a Singer H74 (my travel one); a light weight Singer of my Mom's; a Deluxe that weights about 100 lbs!; and a Consew Commerical machine). I will say that anyone that is sewing upholstery; thick bags, jeans, etc should have a commercial machine so it don't ruin their regular machine. Mine is about 55yrs old and still works fine--it's all mechanical and just sews straight stitch forward/reverse. It's a beast, but so helpful when I'm working on something that needs that heavy duty machine.
Old 02-10-2017, 04:02 AM

I have the Janome 6500 P with a 9 inch throat space and an older Janome with a much smaller throat space, that must be 15 years old now. Made those rope bowls on the older Janome for years...it never failed me. Have not tried making one on the 6500P as I use that for quilting and applique work. As long as your Janome works for you, why upgrade?
Old 02-10-2017, 05:33 AM
Power Poster

I forgot to put the pressure foot down on the bowl I was making. The result was HOW did you do that??? It looked pretty nice with the 'special stitching. It won a first place ribbon at a show in the project category. LOL. The rope stitched under the needle just fine. Much easier then the next one when I remembered to lower the pressure foot. And I am the type of person that would buy a machine to do one thing even though some may frown at that. I'd rather smile.

Last edited by Onebyone; 02-10-2017 at 05:40 AM.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:55 AM

I like machines as much as I like fabric, so am easily tempted. One of my best purchases was my Juki 2010 - straight stitch mechanical. It is the perfect compliment to by big computerized Babylock. Between these two machines, there's not much of anything I can't sew if I have a mind too.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:06 AM

Does a Singer 99 do a zig-zag? None of my old machines will do that. You need a zig-zag to sew the rope.
I took a class on making coasters with the rope. Not my thing. That's off my bucket list.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:17 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lots2do View Post
Yes, some of the smaller machines had a dial on the top that regulated the pressure of the presser foot. I had never heard of such a thing
I would be very surprised if a machine didn't have this ability. All my machines, including the treadles will allow you to adjust your foot pressure. Most don't have a dial, however, it's often a different mechanism. I would double check your owner's manual for foot pressure adjustment.
Old 02-10-2017, 03:03 PM

OK, will do, just for curiosity's sake.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:47 PM

So, I found this in my manual. Apparently, there is an adjusting stretch stitch balancing dial down below my machine's bed. You find it near the free arm. I'm going to play around with that tomorrow. I don't know if that might make a difference or not.
I emailed a shop that provides machines for a big show and she told me that she hadn't decided what she'll provide this year. Apparently Janome is releasing some new models this spring. Which could mean there may be some good used machines traded in, too. We will see! I am just exploring the possibilities at this point.
Thanks again, fellow quilters!