Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I just bought a Pfaff 2170! >

I just bought a Pfaff 2170!

I just bought a Pfaff 2170!

Old 12-05-2010, 07:33 PM

I bought a new Smarter By Pfaff nice machine but having some trouble with it. Will take it back to the shop this week. What thread does all the Pfaff users recommend?
Old 12-05-2010, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by QuilterGary
I bought a new Smarter By Pfaff nice machine but having some trouble with it. Will take it back to the shop this week. What thread does all the Pfaff users recommend?
I have found that the Coats and Clark (both the large spool and the regular spool) thread is not a good choice unless you use the horizontal spool holder. The thread is OK, but the spool gets jammed. There is not enough space for the regular size spool to turn, and the large cotton spool does not unroll smoothly. I have sometimes used the regular size spool vertically with the large spool cap put upside down under the spool of thread. Otherwise, I have found no problems with any particular thread. the shop I bought it from recommends Aerofil, but I can't tell the difference.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:40 AM

I have a pfaff 7850 or is it 7580. Geess I've had this machine 9yrs. you'd think I would remember. Anyways I still haven't learned all it can do. I do like it very much It's knowledge is far greater than mine. It's not one you want to travel with very much, it's kind of weighty.
Enjoy you machine, which I know you will Pfaffs are prerry good.
Gods Blessings
Connie T.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:09 AM

I had the same problem and found out I didn't have the most current File Assistant Disk. Mine has a green background w/ a circle in the center divided into four parts. The updated one has a blue cover with the words 3D File Assistant in left corner and the word PFAFF in bold red letters in top right hand corner and a picture of a design in the machine screen in the center of the cover. If you don't have this one you should check with Pfaff, there may be a small fee for it but it will be worth it if you can use your embroidery attachment.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:49 AM

After owing a 1222E for 30 years, I finally upgraded to the 2140 and was offered once a month lessons for a year. At the time, I was working too much--didn't get them. You got a fantastic price! Now I am home full time and just getting to know mine as well. If you find out anything exciting--let us know.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by leakus
I wanted to have an embroidery machine. My budget was $2000 and ended up chosing this machine at $1600. I know is not the latest technology but couldn't go up on the budget because this is just a hobby and this would be my third machine (have another Pfaff for sewing and quilting and a Pfaff serger).
Can you tell I am a Pfaff lover?
Now I am going to try it! It comes with free owner classes for life (once a month) and some personalized classes. My dealer here is Cynthia at Cynthia Fine Fabrics in Tamarac, FL. I love her Customer Service and dedication to her clients. Her support makes the difference!
What do you have to say about this machine? Other fanatics?
Good deal! I got my 2170 a few years ago for about twice the price!! But I LOVE it!! Our shop has a computer and embroidery club once a month with great projects to learn the software and the embroidery functions. Have fun!
Old 12-06-2010, 03:14 PM

I have a Pfaff CV.. I love LOVE that machine.. it is a dream to sew on! I also have an older one that hums along like it was just out of the box. These machines make sewing anything a real pleasure!

Once a Pfaff owner, its hard to settle for anything else! (although I do have a couple of Berninas that I love, and 3 FW that I use when I'm out and about.. love them too.. and I have an old brother, several old singers.. a treadle machine, on and on.. they all needed a good home and I just couldn't help but take them in with the rest of the happy machines!!)
Old 12-06-2010, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Judie
I have a Pfaff CV.. I love LOVE that machine.. it is a dream to sew on! I also have an older one that hums along like it was just out of the box. These machines make sewing anything a real pleasure!

Once a Pfaff owner, its hard to settle for anything else! (although I do have a couple of Berninas that I love, and 3 FW that I use when I'm out and about.. love them too.. and I have an old brother, several old singers.. a treadle machine, on and on.. they all needed a good home and I just couldn't help but take them in with the rest of the happy machines!!)
I can truly relate! I've lost track of how many machines I actually own! Who cares anyway...I love them all!!
Old 12-06-2010, 04:46 PM

I have an eight-year-old Pfaff Quilt Expression and love it. My local quilt shop has a monthly Paff owners class which has been very helpful. I am learning things I never knew this machine could do.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:21 PM

I love my Pfaff. I did have the 2144/2170 that I traded in for the new CV5.5. I have only had it a few months but learning all the new features. I also own the Pfaff serger,which it great. Good luck with your new machine, you will love Pfaff.