Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I just cant get it!!!! >

I just cant get it!!!!

I just cant get it!!!!

Old 02-13-2012, 05:20 AM

I've never tried it. But, it is probably just like everythig else. Practice makes perfect!
Old 02-13-2012, 05:41 AM

Don't give up! The first time I tried FMQ was my first two quilts and they were queen-king. They were for my DD and DDIL and wanted them done by a Christmas, maybe a year after I pieced them. A little afraid but, I did it and both recipients were pleased and so was I. It may take a while, give it a try!
Old 02-13-2012, 05:43 AM

Oh don't give up. FMQ takes a whole lot of practice to master. As of now, all I can do are swirls and meandering. The first time I tried, it was a total disaster. I didn't even try again for months. Then one day I decided that I was going to learn this no matter what and I did. Just keep on practicing and you will get it. Good luck.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:51 AM

Leah Day is doing a Free Motion Quilt a long this year. Each week is a new video. She is an excellent teacher and even though I've FMq for a long time and never really got past the meander and I might never be as good as Leah, I'm starting at the beginning with the basics. Look up the videos and start at the beginning - it's not too late to catch up!
Old 02-13-2012, 05:51 AM

I've completed a couple FMQing projects and they are just stippling. The others have been using a template and then quilting over the lines. I can tell you to relax when you're attempting to FMQ. The more rigid and stiff you are the more problems you may have. Practice, relax and enjoy it. It doesn't matter how many years someone has been doing this they still have bad days and nothing works correctly. I got ready to FMQ my 30's reproduction fabric quilt and it didn't matter what I tried nothing worked. I ripped out so many stitches that I finally threw up my hands and got out the hand quilting hoop. Don't give up....hang in there!!!
Old 02-13-2012, 05:58 AM

I think its just practice, practice, practice! Try following marked lines a lot first and then go for the rest! I went to one class on it and am determined to keep going with machine quilting for ever!
Old 02-13-2012, 06:02 AM

Smile Fmq

I tried doing Zentangles and found it helped me learn how to do continuous motion. If you are not familiar, just Google "zentangle" and "zendoodle", then grab a pen and paper and give it a try. It's basically the same motion and you you can do it anywhere. I carry paper and pen in my purse and while I am sitting in the doctor's waiting room, I can do quite a bit of practicing.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:08 AM

Oh, it will come with practice. It takes a while to get the different directions going the way you want, but soon, it will be what you want. Don't be impatient with yourself and just enjoy the process!
Old 02-13-2012, 06:25 AM

Shirley, I'm right there with you. I won't post my practice sandwiches either!! There are so many eyelashes on the back I could sweep the floor. The fronts, in places don't look too bad and there's pretty good stippling on one of them but it's teeny-tiny and all goes to pot when I try to enlarge it! I might get 1 out of 10 leaves that actually resembles a leaf, forget feathers totally. I am doing pretty good with - of all things - straight lines done freehand. Who knew?? I'm not giving up...WE can do this!!
Old 02-13-2012, 06:41 AM

I'm with you. It seems no matter what I do I just can't get it. I always have the eyelashes on the back. I think it has something to do with my movements and machine speed but I am not sure.