Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I just cant get it!!!! >

I just cant get it!!!!

I just cant get it!!!!

Old 02-13-2012, 10:49 AM

Ok, I'll tell you that my advice is a little "non-mainstream" but it worked for me, and I learned it from an excellent quilter who had to learn, as she put it: "before there were DVD's". So this is what I did.

I went to the Thrift shops and picked up a bunch of cheap material, stuff I didn't mind throwing out when I was done with it. I looked for really large florals, large florals, and so on down the line with the floral size getting smaller. I got some geometrics, some 'outdoor' scenes -- trees are good as are vines -- , and other things with interesting patterns. I didn't worry about backing because I had some threadbare sheets and old, stained tablecloths at home to use for that. I found some flannel to use as batting, but in a pinch, a couple of layers of cheap paper towels works just fine. Then I set out to work.

I put aside all my DVD's, books, etc. --- looked at nothing but what was in front of me. I used everything I knew I would eventually use in FMQ: supreme slider, bobbin genie, presser feet down, quilting foot. Then I put together a sandwich that was of comfortable size for me, using the biggest floral I had on top, and I started with the stitch regulator on slow, and I attempted to outline the flowers. Not much good at first, but I kept at it. Eventually I became quite good at outlining the flowers, and the stems, and sometimes doing a little "doodle" on my way to my next flower. Then the flowers got smaller. Those were harder, but eventually I mastered them. In the process, I was learning how to control my machine, how to make it do what I wanted it to do, how to "doodle" with the stitching, how to do finer and finer work, how to keep the tension correct when I switched from a thinner to a thicker "batting" (by adding another layer of fabric or paper towels). Perhaps the greatest growth area was in becoming much, much more comfortable with the process. My first trees were just pyramids. Eventually I could outline the branches. My first vines were great along the vine, but the leaves were circles. Eventually I could do a very decent outline of a leaf. Slow progress, yes, but it seemed I had to learn at my own pace, steady as she goes, and it wasn't a matter of the big "I got it", but a whole lot of little "I got it's" along the way. By the time I finished with that, my confidence was greatly increased, and I was ready for meanderings, and the like, then on to the simpler patterns, which I first had to draw out and follow many times before I could do free hand. I may soon be ready to dig out those books and DVD's again.

I'm just throwing out this "low tech" approach for my 2¢ worth. It worked for me, and has worked for many others. It may be what you need, I don't know. That's for you to decide.

Happy Quilting!
Old 02-13-2012, 11:48 AM

You will, just keep trying. Are you using small sandwiches to practice on? This is how I started, have you gone to http://daystyledesigns,com? I learned a lot from her. Just have patience with yourself, it will be worth it.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:51 AM

Great advice Thayer. Sounds like a good way to start.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:56 AM

I didn't think I was making any progress either. Once when I looked at what I just did to something I did weeks earlier, I could see an improvement. So take a look at where you started and what you are doing now and I'm sure you will also see improvement. Hang in there and it will come!
Old 02-13-2012, 12:00 PM

I have come to the conclusion that some of us are not meant to FMQ much. I have great results with my walking foot and even do some curves with it. I can do quite close meandering, some leaves on a vine, and something I call "coffee beans." Sometimes swirls with loops. I use "Golden Threads Quilting Paper" if I want something particular like a word or a picture. But I have found that sending one or two quilts a year to a long armer for overall FMQ just reduces my stress level tremendously.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by annemarcellis View Post
I have gained a lot of confidence stitching feathers and more from Patsy Thompson videos. Her website is http://www.patsythompsondesigns.com/ She is very good-if I can do it, anyone can. You can see portions of her teaching on youtube.
Have fun!
I too think her tutorials are very good. I also order the 505 basting spray and silicone spray from her.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:05 PM

OK, everyone else says to keep trying - I also say - DON'T be so hard on yourself. Don't look for the mistakes, just practice and go with the flow. Sometimes, it's harder than others, but keep trying. Do some practicing on paper just by drawing what you want to quilt. It sounds goofy, but it does help. Have you ever tried to fmq your name? You will be surprised at how nice that looks. That's because you have written your name like a gazillion times.
Don't give up!
Old 02-13-2012, 04:07 PM

It just takes a lot of practice. Don't give up. Some day you it will click.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:41 PM

I feel your pain! Ive had a Voyager Long Arm for about2 years now and I still suck!I keep getting good comments but in my opinion I dont like what the end result looks like. So I am steadfastly plugging away in hopes that the "quilting fairy" will somehow bestow some good experience on my hands!
Old 02-13-2012, 04:44 PM

Can you take a class? Im a hands on type person. You will learn alot. Dont give up.