Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I just don't want to do it! >

I just don't want to do it!

I just don't want to do it!

Old 09-27-2011, 07:36 AM
Power Poster

I have learned to say No thanks, I don't want to. It was hard to say it the first time but now it's almost automatic. I found all the nervy people seem to keep their distance after hearing that. Most have never heard that phrase before. LOL.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:06 AM

Big thing to remember...people won't hate you if you say, "No." I remember when people treated my like that. I was the one everyone thought they were doing me a favor by keeping me busy. I never said no to them because I was afraid they wouldn't like me. First time is the hardest. So I would finish this one quilt/favor and then just give it a try..."I'm sorry, I just don't have time."
Old 09-27-2011, 08:30 AM

Think of the person you are making the quilt for and share in her joy. Count this as a learning experence for yourself.Sometimes it is hard to say not to someone but then if they are a true friend they will understand. My husband and I met at work, he still works their but I do not any more. He gave me the biggest laught the other day. A woman who was not very nice to me while I worked their is now a supervisor and she asked hubby if I would do some sewing for her now that I am home and have plenty of time. I asked my husband if she was joking with him and he said nope. Sometimes it is easy to say no. The sooner you get this project done you can get on with other things you like more. Good luck.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:05 AM

I can sympathize with you-my oldest niece chose 2 Pansy fabs in a dark purple and lite lavender with bright yellow plus a solid lav and a dk purp batik I cringed and after having a stern talk to myself I got the top done in 2 days including the cutting -she wanted the back to have the left over fabs worked into it -IT IS 100% done(5 days total time) and on its way to her.The shocking part is it is a very pretty quilt .The pattern was Cross Roads
Old 09-27-2011, 09:11 AM

I try and think of the things I want to do when I am done with my chore. I promised my DH I would do some major clearing out of my 'stuff' and I am almost done now. All I want to do is quilt and my in-progress quilt is sitting there casting these -come to mama- eyes at me. So I am doing the housework but thinking of quilting all the time. You will get this quilt done soon and then no more, maybe this is the lesson you needed.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:00 AM

GREAT SUGGESTION....

Originally Posted by Glassquilt
Set the oven timer and quit as soon as it goes off. :)
Old 09-27-2011, 10:01 AM

Treat it like a job, set yourself a certain time period every day. Like from 9 til 11 or whatever hours you prefer. But if you do it the same time every day, then it'll be easier to get it done and over with.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:15 AM

Set the oven timer for one hour -- and then switch to something else you really want to do. Make sure you do this every day or so -- you will finish the disliked item, an hour at a time and you will reward yourself with some time with something you love. Sometimes I get into the not so great item and find I get caught up and go on to spend a bit more time and finish it up.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:40 AM

I go shopping closest Hancocks or Joanne's is 50 miles one way. Look and buy candy think about the wonderful quilt I am going to make with my new purchase---Here is the kicker-after I finish the quilt I have come to hate.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:24 AM

Take a deep breath and finish it quickly so you can get it out of your way and you won't be stressing over it. I have been in your position, so I understand but as I said the quicker you get it done the less stress you will have. Bite the bullet. Oh, and practice the word, NO!