Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I just don't want to do it! >

I just don't want to do it!

I just don't want to do it!

Old 09-27-2011, 06:23 AM

Like you, I keep my word, and since I've promised, I bite the bullet and do it - not liking it necessarily, but doing it regardless and once it is done - you look back on it saying, "That wasn't so bad after all!" Try to enjoy and chin up - it will get better!
Old 09-27-2011, 06:29 AM

I always said, "When you HAVE to do it, it is no longer fun!" Do what you promised and then, "JUST SAY NO!"
Old 09-27-2011, 06:31 AM

I agree with the posts about doing something for yourself. A quilted postcard or a mug rug - fast, simple projects that let you play with your stash while not taking you so far off course that you can't get back to the quilt that needs finishing. When I am working on something complex or just taking up all my sewing time I will stop and make a couple of little wallets to stash away for Christmas presents, or a quick jelly roll purse, things that give me "instant gratification". For me it is then easier to get back to the project that needs finishing.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:33 AM

Too bad you are being put upon by friends. They need to see the vacum cleaner in the living room and a basket of clothes to be folded ,every time they come over. Then you just say well, IF I had the time......... that way no hard feelings. Works for me. Now to get to the problem.....Set aside 15 or 20 minutes a day to work on the "job" then get something started that you want to do. Good luck.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:39 AM
Banned

Hang several signs around your work room that say "Just Say NO" and one on your activity calendar. It is easy to forget our resolve until we get in the middle of the situation.
I'm having a similar situation now with booking too many back to back teaching assignments where I have to prepare kits and not sure of the enrollment.'
I learned long ago in relation to another outside activity that I wouldn't do it if asked. I might do it if I vounteered because that was my decision. Same with a quilting donation for a local charity event. I will no longer be available when they call me. I might volunteer to do a piece but it has to be my decision and not pressured to do it. This latter was when I found out my work was being used as a door prize and not a raffle to raise money.
So do whatever you need to to remind you of your resolve. We tend to forget such.
I have resolved for 2012 Not to do any more round robins, block exchanges, fat quarter exchanges or jelly roll exchanges. I have two rr sitting on my work table now to finish up and am late, am late, am late getting them to the next point and a quilt to pack to send to a men's exhibit, etc etc etc.....Am diligently watching TV for a medication that solves this problem and then I will "ask my doctor if XXX is right for me"....
Old 09-27-2011, 06:47 AM

I'm in the very same place with a quilt I'm working on. I like it but it's in the marking stage (which I dislike), so it sits
Old 09-27-2011, 06:52 AM

Get it done, get it to its destination and then you can be free of it. froggyintexas
Old 09-27-2011, 06:52 AM

I hear you. Just because I use to sew..and now quilt people think I'm wanting to do hem their pants, mend, sew for them. I think they finally got the answer. I ONLY like to quilt...and ONLY for myself or my family...husband, son, daughter, grandkids and my mom. Other than that..no thanks. I can please them and myself...I don't want to try and please the public.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:55 AM
Kas

Ugh. That is how I feel about my son's crazy log cabin. I feel guilty each time I start on something else. It's a good thing I didn't tell myself I wouldn't work on anything else until it was finished. I would have quit quilting 9 years ago! That's how long it has been hanging over my head. I even made him another cool quilt, but he wants the one HE picked out. Who would have thought a crazy log cabin would take so much thinking and time.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by pastimesquiltdesign
My friend asked me to make a queen size quilt for her oldest daughter (32) who is finally getting married. She said she thought that would be a really nice gift. I was very surprised by this as I haven't seen her daughter for over 20 years. I know I have told her numerous times how much the fabric costs and how expensive it is to have a quilt machine quilted. She didn't offer to buy the fabric or even pay to have the machine quilting done. It was really hard for me, but when she asked the second time if I was going to do it, I got up my nerve and told her no. I am so relieved.

I think the hardest & biggest lesson we need to learn in life is to JUST SAY NO when asked to do things by other people we don't really want to do.