Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I just got a great idea, why not use quilts as a source of insulation?? >

I just got a great idea, why not use quilts as a source of insulation??

I just got a great idea, why not use quilts as a source of insulation??

Old 12-06-2013, 07:52 PM
Power Poster

Wouldn't covering the windows make your house dreary? I want all the daylight I can get in my house during the wintertime. I think the plastic would let in more light.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:01 PM

I have used a quilt for window covering in our tv room for years! It really does make a diff. We keep the blinds closed because of glare on the tv so we might as well be warmer!
Old 12-06-2013, 08:10 PM

I have a regular everyday quilt with polyester batting hanging over the bedroom window by the bed. It makes a huge difference in keeping the room warmer. I keep it there all winter, just hanging on a wooden rod. It extends a few inches beyond the window in all directions.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:50 PM

I put a quilt over our glass fireplace doors to cut down on the drafts, and am in the process of working on a long skinny hanging to go on the sidelight window of our front door.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by CanoePam View Post
All things old are new again! Wall hangings and quilts were used to insulate draft palaces and draft sod homes through much of history. Let us know how it works!

pam
People still do it here all the time...(Poland). In fact, people often have their "winter curtains" and their "summer curtains"...the winter ones are heavy insulated ones and their summer ones are lighter.

and I was just in a home yesterday where they basically curtained (floor to ceiling) off a whole section of the house--with a lot of windows in order to help the rest of the house stay warmer.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:17 AM

Did someone last winter show a curtain on a door either outside or conservatory
I am just planning after seeing on here a quilted blind to keep wind out but also to show a quilt as I have few big walls to display on. My cottage is well over 150 years old. Can't find build date yet.

I think its a great idea.
Old 12-07-2013, 04:51 AM

We lived on our boat (trawler) for five years in Florida. Even there it got cold in the winter on the water. I used to hang a big quilt from the bookshelf which ran most of the way along the bed wall and it kept me quite warm. Hubby slept on the outside and was never cold. Go figure!
Old 12-07-2013, 07:09 AM

Last year I took scraps and made quilted window coverings for 6 windows in my living room as it is hard to heat. They work great and look pretty. I don't worry about fading, they were just scraps I threw together.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by SemiSweet View Post
I woke up this morning and with windchill, we were in the negatives. So when I got home today, I was planning on putting up plastic on a couple windows because I had been putting that off for a while. Turns out there was no window plastic because we'd used it all up last year, so I decided to just hang blankets for now.

I was curious if anyone really knew how well those would work compared to plastic, when I came across this gem:
http://www.jasonmorrison.net/content...-wall-hanging/

To quote this tutorial,

I thought, "Wow!" What an idea! But why stop there? Why not make a quilt top, create a frame and put that mylar stuff between to insulate. That would give the double whammy of being a gorgeous piece of art to hang on the wall with a purpose! I happen to have a handy fiance that would love to save us some money off our heating bill and would be more than willing to create a frame for me.

Once I finish my last Christmas gift, this is next on my to do list. I'll make sure to post a photo when I have my first completed.
t

Wouldn't money be better spent replacing the old windows?
Old 12-07-2013, 09:22 AM

great idea we have a few places that would help a lot. it was minus 26 here this morning