Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I just got a great idea, why not use quilts as a source of insulation?? >
  • I just got a great idea, why not use quilts as a source of insulation??

• I just got a great idea, why not use quilts as a source of insulation??

Old 12-08-2013, 10:38 AM

Hi semisweet your idea sounds great to me. One thing I have great window shades over my windows and during the window during the winter when I put the shades up in the A.M. my windows are all wet. My though is that you quilts would become wet and meldew would damage them.

Good luck and happy quilting yippie
    Old 12-08-2013, 11:01 AM

We recently built on a downstairs bedroom, so now we can shut off the upstairs. Since it is an open staircase, I took 3 thermal backed curtains and hung them on a rod on the banister side & where the stairs start. I just put the 1 panel at the stair bottom yesterday, so I am anxious to see what the temp is upstairs today.

If you look at old movies, you can see where they had curtains all around the 4 poster beds.
    Old 12-08-2013, 11:16 AM

How about using the room darkening fabric it is similar to the fabric we use for protecting the mattress from moistur it is also 54" wide. Will stop any draft . A friend of mine buys quilts for all the doors/windows on the ground floor of her lodge.
    Old 12-08-2013, 11:29 AM

My son was telling me you can also duct tape Mylar to the under side of your drapes. Same purpose less expensive.
    Old 12-08-2013, 03:42 PM

I just read the whole thread - not usual for me- but am interested in what you all have to say on the subject. My most dramatic moment with quilts at the window was when we had window quilts installed in our home in Colorado along the front range. We had pretty good sunny days there, and loved our big windows, but at night, the cold came thru and chilled me to the bone. We got the window quilts (commercial) and I was amazed at how warm they kept the room.

In this house, I made my own version of them just using some old unused upholstery fabric, insulbrite, and an old sheet for backing . I just tried it out to see how it would work, and hung them from a simple spring tension rod just inside the mini blinds that were already in place. I wanted them to keep the morning sun out of my computer room in the summer, cause it was so hot! They really worked and also kept out the light for my grandchildrens naps, and I just pop them in and out using the spring tension rods. Kinda temporary and lazy, but effective.

Good luck with yours - it is a good idea!!
    Old 12-08-2013, 04:13 PM

Years ago I made quilted wall hangings using warm window insulated batting to cover drafty windows. http://www.warmcompany.com/wwpage.html makes a room snuggly warm and you can still raise the shades to see outside.
    Old 12-08-2013, 04:30 PM

I've got some Warm Window insulated batting but haven't gotten around to making the shades, so right now I have a quilt hanging over a glass door. It makes a huge difference in how warm that room feels!
    Old 12-08-2013, 04:43 PM

I have taken down the dry wall on walls facing the outside and insulated them. This one rancher I owned was brick on the outside, 2 inch insulated particle board insulation thingy from the 1950's and then the studs. No further insulation. Boy, did my heating bill decrease. I would put insulation over the window and then cover that with the quilt.
    Old 12-08-2013, 05:11 PM

you can buy that styrofoam looking stuff and cut it to fit in the window and then hang a quilt over it. that would keep the moisture in the house instead of on the quilt.
    Old 12-08-2013, 05:21 PM

Has anyone used this idea using bubblewrap?

http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects...bubblewrap.htm